Sign in to follow this  
Gatzby

SquadChat -13- Friday, July 19, 1:00 PM PDT (Tom Fancsy and Dylan Fraser)

Hey squaddies!

The time for another SquadChat (was) upon us!  On Friday, July 19th, at 1:00 PM Pacific Time (2000 UTC) at https://twitch.tv/JoinSquad, we chatted with our guests Tom “Fuzzhead” Fancsy, game designer, and Dylan Fraser, programmer. We discussed recent changes to Squad, what these two fine gentlemen do on Squad, answered your questions, and learned some stuff together!

OFFWORLD OUT.

Question for Fuzzhead. Back in April him and I were discussing about a possible future system to get vehicles back upright. He mentioned it was a high priority for A14. A15 has now released and no news of this system. I fully understand everything can't be done for these almost monthly releases but could we get an update on the work that has been done for this system ? Thanks in advance !

Posted (edited)

100P Servers and Helicopters being the last remaining promised features, what can we expected after those milestones? Where will the focus be set on, content like maps and new factions, modding or optimization?

Edited by Axel

What are the chances of things like buddy-rallies, dead-dead system, vehicle health and similair debated points becoming server-side options? Or would you rather leave such changes up to the modding community?

18 hours ago, Niklasgunner said:

What are the chances of things like buddy-rallies, dead-dead system, vehicle health and similair debated points becoming server-side options? Or would you rather leave such changes up to the modding community?

To that question, I would also like to ask if there is still any chance to bring "insta-death" (f.i. headshotted by BTR 30mm HE round) as well as "dead-dead" feature (e.g. revived, killed shortly after this and died for that reason without having a second change to get revived) back into the game?

The most critical point in Squad I am currently seeing is that there are practically no "real" deaths anymore - all 'deaths' are actually solely due to players giving up for whatever reason. From my point of view, this does match with standards of an FPS anymore, that's why I see this "infinite-revive" feature pretty negatively.

Have we got a chance to get back Pre order skin on weapon ?

They dont work currently..

Is there any update to foliage collision? (*cough* 2016 :P *cough*)

Would be nice to have no more piece of grass up your nose :)

Will the momentum - inertia of the soldiers' movement return? Bullets should not be avoided by running in a zig zag pattern
The movement (I'm not talking about maximum speed) in v12 was much more realistic and rewarding

What is the word on bringing back insta-death/dead-dead? The amount of firefights that have turned into whack-a-mole meatgrinders is really starting to wear down on many of us veteran players.

What will be the criteria for a mod to be whitelisted? When can we expect to have a whitelist in place? Would the dev team consider whitelisting a PR mod for Squad?

Any thoughts on more server-side options for a "hardcore" mode with instadeath, permadeath added back, buddy rally removed?

We saw some massiv changes in gameplay over the last year, are the Devs happy with the current gameplay? Obviously there are many opinions on this, many are calling for Mods to shape the game more like they like it. 

So can the Devs state what is there exact vision of the game/ gameplay?

3 hours ago, Axel said:

We saw some massiv changes in gameplay over the last year, are the Devs happy with the current gameplay? Obviously there are many opinions on this, many are calling for Mods to shape the game more like they like it. 

So can the Devs state what is there exact vision of the game/ gameplay?

Good luck with getting a straight answer.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tmac said:

Will the momentum - inertia of the soldiers' movement return? Bullets should not be avoided by running in a zig zag pattern
The movement (I'm not talking about maximum speed) in v12 was much more realistic and rewarding

I agree so I’m going to make this into a question and maybe we’ll get a response. Does Fuzzhead have any ideas about how to tweak the movement? I know he’s not satisfied with how it currently works.

57 minutes ago, Nightingale87 said:

Good luck with getting a straight answer.

Haha. Or maybe you’ll get a straight answer, but it’ll be different depending on which dev you ask. Can’t take it out on Gatzby or Fuzz, though, since they actually listen and respond to us :P

Edited by fatalsushi

RE: Insta-death

I think you guys were considering a solution where insta-death would be in effect after a revive until you were healed to 100% by a medic. Any chance we could see this, or another solution implemented? Seems like a lot of people are not happy with the current system (no insta-death).

RE: Maps

I'm hyped for Fallujah, will this be the next map to be released, or are there other maps in the works? Also, which maps are next in line for optimizations/ visual improvements?

Posted (edited)

@fuzzheadBtw, who’s lead game designer now? I thought it was you until I read Merlin’s post on Reddit.

Edit: My mistake. Now I know from the SquadChat that Fuzz is still lead designer (that's a relief). I was confused by Merlin's wording in his post on reddit.

Edited by fatalsushi

Is the current balance with armored vehicles here to stay? What is y'all's vision with that? Any plans to increase the lethality of both armor, and AT, like it was in PR?

On 7/18/2019 at 6:12 AM, Traoo said:

Have we got a chance to get back Pre order skin on weapon ?

They dont work currently..

Yeah, they'll be back. Steam integration went weird again after the last engine update and requires some work to bring back. It's on the docket, but I don't have a specific ETA for you right now.

Please my question would be considering all the hard work and effort that you folks have put into fully integrating tutorials etc. into the game in order to increase new player retention when will you start hosting some of your own servers to be your official front end so that those same players can get a completely vanilla experience and actually stick around and assimilate into the community?

23 hours ago, TheSilliestGoose said:

What will be the criteria for a mod to be whitelisted? When can we expect to have a whitelist in place? Would the dev team consider whitelisting a PR mod for Squad?

Gonna take this one now since there's not much either of the guests can say on it: we're working out the final details and should have some more information in the near future. =)

If the mod rose to a level of "release quality," I don't think we'd have a problem with that, but we'd have to evaluate it specifically when it came time.

32 minutes ago, Gatzby said:

Gonna take this one now since there's not much either of the guests can say on it: we're working out the final details and should have some more information in the near future. =)

If the mod rose to a level of "release quality," I don't think we'd have a problem with that, but we'd have to evaluate it specifically when it came time.

Thanks for your response. I guess my question is more along the lines of white kind of mods can be whitelisted. As in will only content mods be whitelisted, or will gameplay modifying mods be considered for whitelist as well?

2 hours ago, TheSilliestGoose said:

Thanks for your response. I guess my question is more along the lines of white kind of mods can be whitelisted. As in will only content mods be whitelisted, or will gameplay modifying mods be considered for whitelist as well?

We're still working on that, exactly, but it's likely we'll consider all types of mods -- don't hold me to that until we have an official statement on the matter though. I think we should be able to get a fair idea of what the community wants to be playing by watching the workshop, hehe. The Wrench definitely helps too, and we have no issues featuring total conversions there.

Will we see an increase in suppression effects and the addition of aimpunch? Those ones will make the engagemets more interesting

1 hour ago, Gatzby said:

We're still working on that, exactly, but it's likely we'll consider all types of mods -- don't hold me to that until we have an official statement on the matter though. I think we should be able to get a fair idea of what the community wants to be playing by watching the workshop, hehe. The Wrench definitely helps too, and we have no issues featuring total conversions there.

Great, thanks! 

On the stream, I would love if you could talk a little bit about how gameplay decisions are made. What is that process like? What is the internal testing team like? How did you pick your QA team, and do you ever rotate people in and out of there?