Pvt. Lewis

Should a single rifle caliber round drop someone with a body shot? Poll

Should a single rifle caliber round drop someone with a body shot?   138 members have voted

1. 1. Should a single rifle caliber round drop someone with a body shot?

• Yes, but only around 80% of the time.
    • No, never. At least two body shots to put someone down.
    • Yes, but only around 50% of the time.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
87 posts in this topic

I'd love to see something like that (an aid station deployable for FOBs) that offers complete healing while medics can only heal players up to a certain point.

Played battlefield 3 for the first time in about a year the other day. A whole magazine to put someone down.

I remembered why I don't play battlefield and un-installed again.

Agreed when it takes two or more heat shots to put someone down, it reminds me of why I don't play bf3 anymore either! Having to empty a mag to put someone down is NOt more fun, and NOT better for gameplay for this type of game. It would completely ruin the immersion.

So, it looks like with the new medical system even an SVD headshot won't kill someone outright (unless you shoot them in the arm first), according to SGT Ross over in the 'New Features Next Weekend' thread. As stated over there it looks like it'll put them into an incapacitated state rather than instakill.

I personally feel like this is a bit too much in the way of gameplay bubblewrap (could rationalise a torso shot just being an incapacitate but I feel like headshots should be lethal - except maybe from pistol or beyond effective range).

Thoughts?

So, it looks like with the new medical system even an SVD headshot won't kill someone outright (unless you shoot them in the arm first), according to SGT Ross over in the 'New Features Next Weekend' thread. As stated over there it looks like it'll put them into an incapacitated state rather than instakill.

I personally feel like this is a bit too much in the way of gameplay bubblewrap (could rationalise a torso shot just being an incapacitate but I feel like headshots should be lethal - except maybe from pistol or beyond effective range).

Thoughts?

I think HS Kills make sense. But I also haven't played it this way yet, and I'm not sure all the other considerations that go into this.

Regardless, any current implementation can be looked at as "a test." So nothing to get too worked up over, as there will be much feedback as the weeks go on, and we get some real time in the saddle with what we're testing.

Medics are and should be the most important factor in your squad. You want to be able to completely get your squad back up after having a intense fight and you won. If a random headshot from a svd or whatever would insta kill people, this wouldn't be fun because then you have most of your squad back up and ready to fight, yet one or two people will have to respawn on a fob/rally and meet up with the squad. This will split up the squad, and is just shit for gameplay because you want to have your squad together. There is plenty more reasons why not getting insta killed by infantry is a good thing.

^my post from another thread, this is my point of view.

You will probably die when you are stupid enough to peek your head out to look at a tank/tow/whateverbigboom and get hit by it. Or maybe even a 50. in the face. 

Well I'll definitely be on this weekend to test it out (asifnot). I just feel like even the 'give medics more work' justification is thin if you take into account the proportion of kills that AREN'T headshots in the game (probably well over 75%), so at current rates medics will have more than enough work to be essential to squad combat effectiveness.

-edit- MikeDude I see where you're coming from with that, but I just feel like it's a bit too 'training wheels' for the type of game this seems to be. And you'll still have squad members being split up by dying it'll just be because someone shot them in the foot before they got shot in the head. 

I just hope it doesn't come down to counting rounds into players before they go down. BF2: 6 rounds before dead? Come on!!

From what I understand, body shots always incapacitate. None of your poll options say 100%.

Real world, a single body a shots doesn't always incapacitate, and when they do, it is not often immediate unless the shot placement is perfect.

Accurate damage profiles regarding shot placement to the torso can be a bit much for simplicity in gameplay, it would be much easier to have a damage over range profile for each weapon (most shooters have this type of system). This could allow one shot incapacitation at close ranges, and two shot drops for distant engagements for common rifleman load-outs. Caliber plays a big role, you cannot expect a 5.56 to deliver the same "knock-down" potential a 7.62 has. I don't believe incapatitation in one shot, always, is a proper system to adopt. There are too many different weapons that would be made too powerful and render heavier load-outs useless. 

Should there be a possibility to incapacitate in one shot? Absolutely. The probability should be determined by what your shooting and the distance to target. 

There are dozens if not hundreds of examples of 5.56 rounds in Iraq and Afghanistan just not being enough to drop insurgents. In many cases Marines and Soldiers would put 3, 4, 5, and even more rounds into Insurgents until they would actually drop. 7.62 rounds do pack a bit more of a punch but they still will almost never kill someone immediately with a chest shot. In the book "Hogs in the shadows" a single 7.62 round from M40's would generally incapacitate an Insurgent but at closer ranges the rounds would not expand as much and would take 2 and sometimes even 3 rounds to drop an insurgent. So just by a realism standpoint 5.56 and 7.62 rounds should not kill in one center mass shot. 

Well I think the question is not more whether or not someone can survive a shot to the torso. Its whether they survive a shot to the torso and remain upright and mobile and in combat.

The vast majority of games don't really do much subtlety between 'incapacitated' and 'fine' that combat in real life involves. In most games someone is either 'wounded', but bar some screen shaking/aim impairment and stamina damage they're more or less fully combat effective, or they're 'incapacitated/dead', read more or less unable to move in incap, or totally out in dead. 

It'd be great to see a more immediate effect on someone in combat on copping serious wounds, more serious than the mild impairment usually used, but more interesting than incapacitated/dead.

In a non incapacitating chest/torso could take the form of being able to stagger for a couple of minutes with the dimming vision effect the devs have shown and use a weapon in one hand (but not be able to raise it above waist height or aim too high) before collapsing and crawling etc till incapacitation/death. Maybe if hit in the leg seriously someone could limp forwards without treatment, collapsing to prone every few steps but able to get back up again?

Just a few thoughts.

Just wait until wounding/bleeding is added. the wounded vs full states will be very impact full to combat/game play.

1 hit kill damage systems are horrible and arcade.