Pvt. Lewis

Should a single rifle caliber round drop someone with a body shot? Poll

Should a single rifle caliber round drop someone with a body shot?   138 members have voted

1. 1. Should a single rifle caliber round drop someone with a body shot?

• Yes, but only around 80% of the time.
    • No, never. At least two body shots to put someone down.
    • Yes, but only around 50% of the time.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
87 posts in this topic

.Basically a rife sized round , like 5.56 or ak74 or rpk, etc... Should just one shot from that type of round to the chest be enough to put someone down.

What do you mean with a single rifle caliber? A round from a bolt action rifle or just any rifle round wether from a carbine or a battle rifle?

And also if yes there should be more options from 10-100% so that every player can vote for what he thinks is right.

Basically a rife sized round , like 5.56 or ak74 or rpk, etc... Should just one shot from that type of round to the chest be enough to put someone down.

It could not kill you in one chestshot but should put you out of combat. This will be implemented when the incapacitated mode is ingame

It could not kill you in one chestshot but should put you out of combat. This will be implemented when the incapacitated mode is ingame

It would be nice to see something like this implemented!

It would be nice to see something like this implemented!

This is planned when the medical will have more feature added

Would be good to see some kind of inbetween state, like not fully incapacitated:

https://youtu.be/MpCOROFmGek?t=253

but a similar effect to that with the Player needing more advanced Medical treatment to fully recover (like maybe certain injuries only able to be fully healed at a Rally point or FOB).

That mod is ancient now but it did do some things quite well and there were some good ideas at play.

For my two cents, what happens if you shoot someone whose arms are blocking their torso? 
Should the ballistics system dictate that the bullet goes through their arms and into their chest?

That's what I meant by body shots. I meant chest shots. Not limbs. Of course, limbs should take more than one shot. But actually I find that some great ideas are in this thread. Imagine if one chest shot could incapacitate someone but they aren't really completely dead and perhaps a medic could come revive them ? Is that possible with this build?

As Cmbelite-FR said, there are already planned improvements to this system, but they can only come when there are the proper checks and balances (a.k.a. the full medical system planned).

I do see where you are coming from. The developers are definitely giving it their best shot though, so don't bite the bullet just yet.

[Heheh, see what I did there?]​

Pretty sure not everyone here is a ballistics expert. I think we can trust the Military Advisors to give accurate information.

Gameplay > Realism  

We have no plans for single shot to body to drop a person for regular AR.

Could it happen for other weapons and other circumstances?  (Armoured vs unarmoured, high powered rifles,) absolutely.

Gameplay > Realism  

Always! It's not meant to be a simulation.

It's not unrealistic given the variety of factors at hand in a combat scenario that two or more 5.56x45 or 5.45x39 wouldn't outright kill a target.  Luckily this also helps the gameplay aspect, because one shot kills are rarely fun or fair to the majority of players.  We already know from Z-man's discussions on the damage model that caliber, external ballistics, velocity over distance etc will be factored in as the core systems are fully fleshed out.  Several of those are already in one way or another.  Plus the incap system and medic mechanics as mentioned above!

.Basically a rife sized round , like 5.56 or ak74 or rpk, etc... Should just one shot from that type of round to the chest be enough to put someone down.

Taking ruck and gear rigging into account?  Any armor plating?  

Just asking to point out that there's usually more to the picture than someone wearing nothing but a t-shirt taking a round center mass...  Which is why I like the "Yes, but only x% of the time" to allow for some level of variation to represent these nuances

i really like PR's damage values. not saying it should exactly like PR, but i'd like it to be more like PR than Insurgency

i really like PR's damage values. not saying it should exactly like PR, but i'd like it to be more like PR than Insurgency

I would like to kill in less than 3 bullets, i dont want to be like in BF you kill between 4-7 bullets' especially that firefight are mostly at long range with high recoil, you would hardly get a kill as after being shot twice, you just wait for a medic to heal you and you are good to go.

However if there is an incapacitated mode after being shot 1-3 times that puts you out of combat, I wouldn't mind that it takes 5 or 10 bullets to kill you as you are out of play until a medic takes care of you. Nothing than more frustrating than hitting 4-5 times an enemy that is still able to sprint like a rabbit and keep the same accuracy....

medic_flowchart.jpg

This is the plan as listed on KS. Its rather realistic, and I think it will also serve the gameplay very well.

When i served in the military, we trained to double tap targets upon taking fire. The philosophy was that a single round from a 5.56 would not be adequate to immediately incapacitate or kill a targeted individual. I believe that a single hit should cause severe trauma and require medical attention, or the player would bleed out over a given time. Two hits, center mass, should be enough to incapacitate an individual, if not kill them. It has been known that a person can take multiple hits causing terminal injury, yet have moments to continue fighting before being incapacitated. RO2 has a feature where you can be terminally wounded, yet have a few second to act before your screen fades to black(dead). Perhaps a that would be worth implementing; a mode of terminal injury that cannot be mended, but give a player seconds worth of life to fight on before death. 

Range of contact also should have a play on the damage inflicted on an individual. A 5.56 does not fragment well at long distances, and possible body armor should be considered as a serious factor in ballistics. 

Will there be implementation of injuries caused to extremities such as legs and arms?  

Will there be implementation of injuries caused to extremities such as legs and arms?  

Good Post, and AFAIK, yes, there will be extremity wounds, and associated penalties.

As the above hidden graphic states, there will be stamina penalties, aiming penalties, and perhaps even movement speed penalties?. These will be something that can be fixed by combat medics/at a FOB. Should be interesting to see how these mechanics play out, since game-play is #1, these initial goals may change as testing reveals a more optimal path.

I'm one of the ones who feels like there should be a pretty high chance of someone being 'killed' through a single high calibre round to the chest. Now I don't actually QUITE mean 'killed' by that, but I do mean incapacitated. 

Hopefully once they add the medical system to the game it goes like this in terms of a body shot (head shot should drop immediately unless it hits kevlar, then there should be a chance of deflection and injury or stunning).

- Player takes a single assault rifle shot to the torso (arguing that it isnt checked by a magazine or body armour). Game checks adrenaline levels of player. 

-if adrenaline is high the player has a small chance to keep upright and fighting while visually bleeding out for up to 20 seconds before incapacitation/death check

- if adrenaline is within normal, player goes straight to incapacitation/death check -

-player has a significant chance to die outright within 30 seconds regardless of medical help (player could crawl prone slowly for first 25)

-if player doesnt die outright, goes to incapacitated for 1min to await medical help, can crawl prone for first 30 seconds. After 1min player will die

More than 2 assault rifle rounds to the chest should go straight to die outright or within 30 seconds regardless of medical help.

That might be overthinking it, but it feels about right for something like SQUAD.

I think the Dev want to implement something easier but I like your idea

I think a  system similar to that in the video I posted would be a step in the right direction (semi-incapacitated state). If someone were to get hit it'd temporarily stop their ability to fire back but wouldn't completely take them out of the fight, thus making rifle rounds to the chest or wherever more effective without outright killing player's.