REVEREND

Weapon Attachments - Classes are awful

We need to be able to pick our own weapons for classes and outfit them accordingly.  Heavy gunners should still get LMGs and so on and so forth, but we need more options and be able to kit them accordingly. 

Im a medic, 2 medics in a squad, one kit has a red dot and the other has a 4x.  This game is hard to see ANYTHING. You need optics. Engagements are insanely hard due to the fact that 98% of the time players are laying on bellies in the bushes. 

Having to pick a 1x on a weapon because some other dude took the 4x is ridiculous. 

Canted sights anyone?  Why can we not have a 4x and a 1x?  Why can’t I get a foregrip?  Attachments. Attachments. Attachments. (Did I say attachments?)

Weapons shots also don’t give off any muzzle flash?  It’s already insanely hard to pinpoint an enemy due to the fact that everything meshes together. A flare from a muzzle flash would help pin point where enemies are and make you think twice about firing.  

Just some thoughts. 

Posted (edited)

Attachments are cool and all, but i think the reason they didn't go that route is because they are not aiming for a more complete milsim experience like ArmA, so they compromise with predefined roles.

Plus, having a backpack with a bunch of spare gear to change sights and grips on the go all game (like i see in many ArmA videos) is equally unrealistic for the average foot soldier. This stuff may work that way in high-budget professional armies or special forces, but the game doesn't only model those. It also models irregular factions and will probably model even more factions as time goes by. In many armies you just get what the game shows, a standard issue equipment kit with standard issue rifles, even ammo quantities.

So, in the interest of balance, i doubt they would just give us free reign even if attachments were provided. They would have limits per squad too (so someone might still snag 2 different optics to mount on rails and leave you with iron sights) and then they'd also have to increase the staging phase duration to give people time to prepare their kit customisation.

I'm not against it, but there are trade-offs. The more in-depth we go with certain stuff, the more drawn out rounds will become. I'm fine with it to be honest, but then a lot of people who complain about the lack of cool guns to use, would probably complain that the game is suddenly too slow for them.

With this i'm not pointing a finger at you necessarily, i'm just coming from years of high-complexity gaming (flight simulators, the EvE online MMO game, etc) and have seen similar things happen there. The community asks for something and doesn't understand the consequences of the change, they get their wishes granted, then they often end up whining because the changes they asked for affect gameplay in a way they don't like and didn't foresee xD

Edited by Burningbeard80

The classes aren't "awful" at all. They're actually quite varied and realistic. There are several predefined roles in each class and more are being added with every patch. That said, eventually though once there is a Commander role we need to get rid of the math equation that defines the individual squad and overall platoon composition and let the Commander decide the squads roles and responsibilities.

Plus some of the squads that you can create currently as a Crewman SL make very little sense at this point. Crewman SL should only be able to have other crewman in their squad.

Canted sights for regular infantry? Regular infantry customising their guns?

I think you've missed the point of this game.

We wont see full blown weapon customization in Squad(unless someone mods it) as Squad pretty much follows standard issue loadouts when it comes to roles. Obviously there is some balancing in place, as you pointed out - Not everyone can get access to magnified optics, which is primarily there for balancing reasons amongst factions and certain roles.

Offset sights(Canted) aren't exactly widely spread within the regular army, and are more so used within the Special forces community. In some cases though, it isn't too uncommon to see marksman with offset iron sights on their rifles, due to the lack of being able to attach RMR's to some of the issued optics. 

In saying that though, OWI do plan to sometime down the line, eventually implement backup sight functionality, which will allow the use of BUIS or RMR's. Who knows, we might see offset irons for certain classes if it fits in with kit(most probably not though).

Muzzle flash is in-game, you can see it. In reality muzzle flash from rifles are only really visible in certain lighting conditions and from close distances, which Squad pretty much reflects. If your gun is producing large muzzle flashes that means you're using a very short barreled weapon, you're using a very hot load, or you're shooting a big gun with a big round - or maybe a combination of all 3. Most weapons issued have some form of muzzle device to help control not only recoil, but the flash as well. 

Back in the day, we had more detailed muzzle blast effects on surfaces, creating surface disturbance in the form of smoke & dust, which made spotting a little easier - But was reduced for performance reasons. Another thing, there isn't too much illumination from muzzle flash in confined spaces, only in 1P perspective, which was only recently added in v13 IIRC. In the future OWI might tone up the muzzle blast effect on surfaces again, and we might see more illumination from 3P in the future.

I have watched some stream of new players. All of them ... ALL of them wanted marksmen kit. Why ? Oh ... optic ? could be answer. Oh men. 

I have seen how players have walking simulation, how they blidnly died at so bad places and so on. Like mortar landing pretty close, amazingly those new players everytime run closer and not take cover. Is that magnet for them ? o.O yes not surprise that they died everytime and have to spawn again. Some of them complain. They should hit desk with head because they complained not about suicidish movement but everything else.  It was very interesting to watch.

If you rush you will see nothing and be back in spawn point very very fast and often.

Main problem of any new player is ... they are tooooooooo fast and this lead to confusions. What ? where ? who ? why ? 

Just adapt. Slow down. Listen, look around. Check map (offten). Follow SL. Dont focus on kills. This game is not about kills but about progress. Progress is avaiable just with teamwork. So game is about teamwork. Teamwork is about communication. So use voip. Voila ...

Ultimate challange. Survive. When you survive you can start think how to play aggressiv. Optic is not holy grail for survivality. There are different things and better kits. New players move usually very dangerously. They still want shoot something (they think that thats game goal), they still want see enemy even they dont have equipment to see them.  They have rifleman kit with ironsight and want to see enemy marksmen which is 500m far ? why ? are they crazy ? Just continue and simply dont do that. Ignore everything what you cant do. Think before and than make action. Blind action lead to spawn point. More spawns lead to more walk or be out of action and eventualy boring. Stay alive. Slow down. 

Than its like magic. Suddenly player see enemy and is able to shoot towards them precisely even without optics because its pretty simple.

You can do a decent job with 1x/iron sights and it can be really fun. Most kit with no optic now have binoculars so you can still spot people several hundred meters away.
It's a bit dependent on the map but its not that hard to get a positive K/D ratio even with Iron or 1x and on some maps like sumari the 1x is better than a 4x. If there are going to be a change in optics i vote for less optics, not more. If everyone have a 4x there will be even more sniping duels.

knowing your enemy is a great part of this game. less is more.

spend all resources on map content.

On 7/11/2019 at 5:17 PM, Guan_Yu007 said:

and proper water

10 times this ! I am still waiting when my soldier will learn how to swim and not drown in small rivers in Al Basrah..

2 hours ago, .Mac CZE said:

10 times this ! I am still waiting when my soldier will learn how to swim and not drown in small rivers in Al Basrah..

I mean, fully-geared soldiers can't swim really, they're too heavy, but proper water would be nice.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:07 AM, Guan_Yu007 said:

I mean, fully-geared soldiers can't swim really, they're too heavy, but proper water would be nice.

I know, but this game is somewhat milsim and arcade game, so I think, that this would be nice to just not let my soldier to drown.. And some time in future we will have some sea maps.. Mutrah etc..

On 7/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, elerik said:

I have watched some stream of new players. All of them ... ALL of them wanted marksmen kit. Why ? Oh ... optic ? could be answer. Oh men. 

I have seen how players have walking simulation, how they blidnly died at so bad places and so on. Like mortar landing pretty close, amazingly those new players everytime run closer and not take cover. Is that magnet for them ? o.O yes not surprise that they died everytime and have to spawn again. Some of them complain. They should hit desk with head because they complained not about suicidish movement but everything else.  It was very interesting to watch.

If you rush you will see nothing and be back in spawn point very very fast and often.

Main problem of any new player is ... they are tooooooooo fast and this lead to confusions. What ? where ? who ? why ? 

Just adapt. Slow down. Listen, look around. Check map (offten). Follow SL. Dont focus on kills. This game is not about kills but about progress. Progress is avaiable just with teamwork. So game is about teamwork. Teamwork is about communication. So use voip. Voila ...

Ultimate challange. Survive. When you survive you can start think how to play aggressiv. Optic is not holy grail for survivality. There are different things and better kits. New players move usually very dangerously. They still want shoot something (they think that thats game goal), they still want see enemy even they dont have equipment to see them.  They have rifleman kit with ironsight and want to see enemy marksmen which is 500m far ? why ? are they crazy ? Just continue and simply dont do that. Ignore everything what you cant do. Think before and than make action. Blind action lead to spawn point. More spawns lead to more walk or be out of action and eventualy boring. Stay alive. Slow down. 

Than its like magic. Suddenly player see enemy and is able to shoot towards them precisely even without optics because its pretty simple.

Amen brother!

On 10/07/2019 at 7:56 PM, elerik said:

... ALL of them wanted marksmen kit. Why ? ...

A: because, easy.

On 13/07/2019 at 5:44 AM, .Mac CZE said:
On 12/07/2019 at 1:17 AM, Guan_Yu007 said:

and proper water

10 times this !

yeppers.

On 08/07/2019 at 8:21 PM, Burningbeard80 said:

The community asks for something and doesn't understand the consequences of the change, they get their wishes granted, then they often end up whining because the changes they asked for affect gameplay in a way they don't like and didn't foresee

^ this is soo revalent these days, sadly. nice one Burning' ;)