drfreee

Air vehicles will come ?

Posted (edited)

i buyed this game 2 years ago i realy wanna use air vehicles like helicopters and helicopters will change squad a lot no one wants do the logy runs  thats too boring and some maps has a lot hills makes more harder to do that we realy need helicopters there is a mod but not too good why this is taking soo long ? i think helicopters more important than new tank models or new maps.

idk man 2 years a lot time i think i waited a lot and some people thinking like that developed their own air vehicles mod thats realy ****ed up thing and some bugs still exist after 2 years 

edit: btw i just want helicopters i dont care other things too much game nice that why i played 300+ hours but this makes me realy unconformatable sorry for bad english 

Edited by drfreee

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, drfreee said:

i buyed this game 2 years ago i realy wanna use air vehicles like helicopters and helicopters will change squad a lot no one wants do the logy runs  thats too boring and some maps has a lot hills makes more harder to do that we realy need helicopters there is a mod but not too good why this is taking soo long ? i think helicopters more important than new tank models or new maps.

idk man 2 years a lot time i think i waited a lot and some people thinking like that developed their own air vehicles mod thats realy ****ed up thing and some bugs still exist after 2 years 

edit: btw i just want helicopters i dont care other things too much game nice that why i played 300+ hours but this makes me realy unconformatable sorry for bad english 

I'm afraid @fuzzhead (developer) already stated that V15 will not have choppers so it won't be for next patch.

Edited by oTec

I would expect choopers by the end of the year, considering they wont be in the next patch

Things are moving well on helicopters, but they are quite a big task that involves alot of aspects of squad. A large one is optimisation, when viewing our maps from the angles that helicopters will be in, each map that contains a. Helicopter needs to be highly optimised to allow for smooth flying / gameplay.

We are making good progress there, and our flight handling is coming along well. Next major things that are being worked on this month is the collisions damage& destructiin with helicopters/ground. This is a new feature completely since it's absent for ground vehicles.

Hey @fuzzhead will the helo update also bring controller/joystick support? Been rarin' to go with my trusty HOTAS setup and fly away for some time now.

1 hour ago, liamNL said:

Hey @fuzzhead will the helo update also bring controller/joystick support? Been rarin' to go with my trusty HOTAS setup and fly away for some time now.

We do want to fully support joysticks, but wont be able to guarantee that support on initial release of helicopters

8 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

We do want to fully support joysticks, but wont be able to guarantee that support on initial release of helicopters

Really hope to see some progress there in the recap, would be nice to see it in more detail.

True analog control for joysticks would be a great thing to have. When helicopters get released the majority of people will be clueless about them, except a minority who has previous experience in flight simulators, so it will be up to them to start using them and teach other players.

Proper support for analog controllers would make sure that these people can actually fly the way they are already trained to do and put their experience to good use, instead of having to relearn how to do things with a mouse and be hindered by artificial helper features from mouse control carrying over to joystick control and messing things up in the process.

Something like that happened in Project Reality and it's one of the main reasons i never got too much into air assets, despite having 25 years of flight simming background. The joystick controls in the BF2 engine were a copy of the mouse controls and it made things not only counter-intuitive, but also contrary to the very basics of how actual aircraft work and decades of accumulated muscle memory. It was impossible to fly with a stick if you had any reasonable amount of flight simming under your belt, so you had to start over and learn to use the mouse from scratch. I'm not saying not to support the mouse, but a separate analog control scheme is definitely needed.

I discussed those control issues in the following thread, along with various other things that would make choppers more realistic in their use, without having to go into full-blown flight simulator territory (warning, it's a looooong read):

maybe lets see models  by models , i think that the majority of the community will be ok if we see the introduction first of the lil bird , then the black hawk etc etc  i dont mind if we have transport heli only in the beginning then the armed one wich demands more work to be fully playable . most of the big are not super fun to play because of the distance between flags

First type of air assets will be transports they've already said, and i guess they're planning to stick to that.

23 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

First type of air assets will be transports they've already said, and i guess they're planning to stick to that.

I can't wait to blast a fully loaded transport chopper out of the air with a rocket and watch the ensuing carnage just like in Joint Operations. The hilarious vehicle explosions and flying bodies never disappoint in Squad.