Looking forward to the next release, which should come any day now, and hoping that movement, rallies, and permadeath got tweaked or changed. Hopefully the BMP2 and maybe Chance’s new map  are added as well. Maybe we’ll even see the commander role or choppers.

Another quote comes to mind:

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

I heard they were going to increase running speed. Be able to spawn on any squad member and remove incapacitation & death altogether.

55 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

I heard they were going to increase running speed. Be able to spawn on any squad member and remove incapacitation & death altogether.

I wouldnt be surprised...

player movement: no major changes in A15 planned. Im not happy with the player movement but there is bigger things to tackle atm.
rallies: by this i assume you mean buddy rally. short answer: unlikely to change for A15, but definitely is not a "final" feature - I am not a fan of buddy rally.
permadeath: may or may not get some tweaks for A15. A13/A14 implementation is definitely NOT final - I'm not happy with the way it is currently. 

BMP2: highly likely for A15 :)

Chance’s new map: Not for A15

commander role: Not for A15

choppers: Not for A15

It sounds mostly negative, but there is some great stuff planned for A15. Just keeping it real with you fatalsushi so you can adjust your expectations accordingly.

Biggest thing coming (soon) is full modding capabilities, which we are hopefully in the final stages of completion. It was a much larger and more complicated task than what we initially estimated it to be.

14 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Player radars incoming! 

1 hour ago, fuzzhead said:

player movement: no major changes in A15 planned. Im not happy with the player movement but there is bigger things to tackle atm.
rallies: by this i assume you mean buddy rally. short answer: unlikely to change for A15, but definitely is not a "final" feature - I am not a fan of buddy rally.
permadeath: may or may not get some tweaks for A15. A13/A14 implementation is definitely NOT final - I'm not happy with the way it is currently. 

It sounds mostly negative, but there is some great stuff planned for A15. Just keeping it real with you fatalsushi so you can adjust your expectations accordingly.

Biggest thing coming (soon) is full modding capabilities, which we are hopefully in the final stages of completion. It was a much larger and more complicated task than what we initially estimated it to be.

Where's the results to these surveys? I'm  interested to hear if the devs are actually listen to the community or live in their own little bubble :)

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Player radars incoming! 

Where's the results to these surveys? I'm  interested to hear if the devs are actually listen to the community or live in their own little bubble :)

Definitely no player radar coming.

Survey results confirm we have a mixed community that prefer different playstyles, will do our best to support the variety in the future with full mod support and possibly more server-side options moving forward

8 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

Definitely no player radar coming.

Survey results confirm we have a mixed community that prefer different playstyles, will do our best to support the variety in the future with full mod support and possibly more server-side options moving forward

An Insurgency-like hardcore mode tbh is all i ask for.

5 hours ago, Dundish said:

Hehe, 3D spotting incoming :D 

Definitely no 3D spotting.

4 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

An Insurgency-like hardcore mode tbh is all i ask for.

Havn't thought about this yet, but yeah it would be interesting. What would you like to see in a "hardcore" mode?

33 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

Havn't thought about this yet, but yeah it would be interesting. What would you like to see in a "hardcore" mode?

-Nametags only up to 30-ish metres, so that people will have to look a bit more carefully.

-No buddy rally, or at least higher requirements and a proper counter to it.

-Permadeath added back, punishing stupid actions like randomly running into the open, or not killing the enemy before you get your buddies up.

-Typing respawn should take more than 1 ticket, maybe 10 even, hopefully putting an end to those "tactics" that i'm sure was really only meant for if a player got stuck or something instead of being abused all the time like tickets don't mean anything.

-Dying adds a second to your respawn timer, so if you die a lot you'll have to wait a bit longer, this hopefully encourages people to not give up as easily.

-Rallypoints being what their name suggests meaning that they stay around for 30 seconds or a minute and then dissapear, with a reset timer of 5-10 mins, this would make staying alive and together more important hopefully.

-Maybe even have it so that regular players can stop the permadeath timer for an incapacitated player, but only the medic can get him back up, keeping the medic alive will mean a lot more then, encouraging smarter playstyles in a squad.

-Spawning on habs needs ammo, and higher ammo costs in general, supply lines should be a bit more important to protect.

-Habs need to be a certain distance away from objectives, not too far, but at least not directly on it, i'm hoping this will get rid of the meatgrinder a bit.

Currently the gameplay simply feels too forgiving for misstakes people make, there are no concequences for it, and almost no rewards for doing well.

With that optional hardcore server setting, i feel like more teamwork would be forced, and the gameplay would be a lot more rewarding for those doing well.

I hope you like my suggestions! And i do hope other players will add their suggestions for their views of what a hardcore mode should be aswell. After all i'm only one random guy..

2 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

Posted (edited)

Good suggestions overall.

I'd say start by copying the old PR mechanics on respawn timers, ticket bleed and flag capture costs, rallies (limited by a timer, amount of spawns or both, i don't remember exactly how it was done) and FOBs  (a larger overrun radius will make it so that they won't be placed directly on capture points, which would slow down the current meat grinder meta) and then take it from there. The idea is to start with something that we know has worked well in the past to promote a slower paced tactically focused gameplay, and then you can keep adding more if needed. Plus, since the systems at their core functionality are already very similar, for some of these it would be a case of simply adjusting certain values and not having to code new behavior from scratch.

Changes could extend to the supply system too, with riflemen having to supply static weapon emplacements with ammo bags, instead of having them automatically be fed ammo from the FOB. Currently it feels like our weapon emplacements are linked to an invisible network of pipes that's pushing liquid ammo to them xD

On that matter, i think that a reappearance of ammo crates might be needed, especially with helicopters on the horizon. They will need a way to unload supplies fast, otherwise their primary advantage (speed) will be negated by having to hover/land for extended periods of time while unloading supplies.

Maybe it would be possible to have a hybrid system? For example, keep the current supply mechanics so that we can load custom amounts of ammunition and building supplies back at main base and can unload them like we do now (but now a supply crate appears behind the logi as soon as we start unloading), but add a third option in the scroll menu to dump everything at once in a single crate. Helicopters would mostly use the "drop all" function, but in safe areas they could possibly also do it like the logis currently do: if they land or stay in a stable hover within a certain altitude, they can unload supplies partially. This simulates the load master actually unloading the supplies by hand, instead of pushing the entire crate out the door. Crates would be destructible as well (same as the old PR crates and the currently buildable ammo boxes).

In order to lessen the amount of objects spawned, it could be possible for dropped supplies to go to the closest already existing crate within a certain radius (eg, if a crate exists within 10 meters add the supplies to it, otherwise spawn a new crate), so that for example we don't end up spawning 50 crates because a guy is trolling and unloading partially with left-click as he moves forward, but we can still place multiple crates around a position to help the team resupply faster from multiple points. This would also make it feasible to resupply in the field without abandoning logis all over the map, as you could drive around, drop a crate where it's needed and drive back to main or a safe location.

As for where the supplies go, it could be the case that any supply crate works like a droppable ammo box: it adds to the amount of supplies available when it's dropped within the FOB radius, and every crate has access to the entirety of supplies within range. However, this could present problems with making supply drops in the open (like in the logi example in the previous paragraph, or when dropping from a helicopter to a squad in the field), where no radio exists to "hold" the supplies in the first place. For example, a squad is pinned down by armor away from any friendly FOBs and a helicopter or logi makes a "drive by" crate drop to help them restock their AT weapons. We can't currently do that, because we need to have a radio to hold the supplies. As  a matter of fact, perhaps it would be better to replace the radio altogether with the supply crates.

Getting rid of the radio would also fix the "magical despawning" of most buildable assets when a radio is destroyed, which looks artificial and immersion-breaking. Instead, players would have to blow up or dig down the HAB itself, and then destroy the supply crates to prevent the enemy from re-establishing a FOB.

Finally, on the matter of vehicles, it seems like they are a little too hard to take down and the ticket cost for armor is somewhat low (transports, logis and unarmored/lightly armored vehicles seem fine ticket-wise). So, they are a bit too safe and when they do explode, the consequences are not really important. I could see armor being harder to take down due to more realistic armor penetration mechanics: whereas in PR it was mostly a case of knowing how many rockets each vehicle took from each side (you could kill most APCs/IFVs with a single LAT rocket to the back), now only penetrating hits do damage while ricochets do not. This is reasonable, it seems realistic and is an improvement over older mechanics.

However, seeing unarmored vehicles like logistics trucks shrug off multiple hits from AT rockets makes me feel that there is also an issue with the amount of damage done. Either AT damage is a bit low, or vehicle hit points are a bit high. Increasing AT damage could potentially unbalance their use against infantry, so maybe it would be easier to adjust the vehicles' HP values instead. In this manner, we could still keep the more realistic penetration mechanics for armor, but when a hit does land properly it would do more % damage to the vehicle. Plus unarmored or lightly armored vehicles like trucks and MRAPS could be taken down much more reliably, instead of requiring multiple rockets to do so.

EDIT: I'd also like scarier mortars and artillery in general, with more killing power and a bigger radius of effect. The rocket techie especially is affected by this. Currently it's scary the first couple of times, until you realise those rockets are pretty much useless unless they score an almost direct hit on you and you can take an entire barrage as a squad with minimal casualties. They are rocket pods used by aircraft and attack helicopters to go after area targets and vehicles, i would expect them to be quite a bit more lethal.

Edited by Burningbeard80

17 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

What would you like to see in a "hardcore" mode?

lol, [fuzzhead drops a grenade in the crowd and runs ]

burningbeard i wish your posts were shorter, I find I scroll past most of your content even though it appears you have a lot to say...

Before reaching V15, I would hope the devs start addressing the balancing issues in current version. Tweaking the area control mode should be higher up in the priority before every server are skipping the map like the Vietnam map in PR...

9 hours ago, suds said:

lol, [fuzzhead drops a grenade in the crowd and runs ]

burningbeard i wish your posts were shorter, I find I scroll past most of your content even though it appears you have a lot to say...

Well, i know a lot of people will do. I don't scroll past anything, but i do skim read myself when i'm in a hurry.

Then again, i usually discuss more than one mechanic/issue/tactic/whatever at once, so i can't really cut down on much or it will become hard to understand. If i do, someone will ask "what do you mean when you say this?" and i'll have to make a second post with the information i would already have included in the first post anyway xD

As for the actual developer feedback, it is very nice to hear that they are working on rebalancing certain mechanics a lot of the players have raised issues with. I'm just annoyed i won't get to fly a chopper though xD (still, take your time and do things the proper way, we appreciate the work being done).

On 7/3/2019 at 9:22 PM, fuzzhead said:

I Really hope buddy rally is only temporary. This is the feature I dislike the most in Squad. When i lead a squad against another squad, and we take out his rally point, It should be a very harsh punishment. They should be forced to spawn at a FOB or main base due to the other Squad leader's aggressive placement of the rally point. Buddy rally point eliminates almost all of the penalty for losing a rallypoint. 

This is a really big deal because Squad on Squad combat is much more sparse. Instead, it is morphed into who can overwhelm who first. It used to be if I see a full Squad, it is just them for the most part until I can take out their rallypoint. Now the whole entire team can spawn at the drop of a hat just seems like too much magic for a game that tries to be realistic. 

On 4/7/2019 at 3:22 AM, fuzzhead said:

Already understood ... movement-momentum-inertia, buddy rally and permadeath will remain so to satisfy the "mass" that wants a faster, easier and more dynamic game.

For those who dreamed of a more tactical and slow game (me and many others ... including developers - Fuzz ???), we will have to "settle" for future mods.

Sadness the direction the game is taking.

2 hours ago, Tmac said:

Already understood ... movement-momentum-inertia, buddy rally and permadeath will remain so to satisfy the "mass" that wants a faster, easier and more dynamic game.

For those who dreamed of a more tactical and slow game (me and many others ... including developers - Fuzz ???), we will have to "settle" for future mods.

Sadness the direction the game is taking.

You are completely misinterprenting what Fuzzhead said lol.

I think in order for OWI to make coin they are in a position to placate the masses. I do believe as they code the things they are experimenting with they are taking note. A hardcore mode should be just that ... hardcore, tactical and a much more punishing. Much of the ideas that would be in the main branch would be for the average player where as the hardcore mode would be for "us". I would like to see both modes "COD mode" and "Hardcore mode" because I would rather have that, than OWI not being able to continue to exist due to cash flow. That being said it would be a bugger to code. All the settings would have to be adjusted via variables or switches and not be based on core mechanics, which would have to be shared.

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2019 at 12:07 AM, fuzzhead said:

Really think that server-side options are a great way to let everyone scratch their own itch. There may be times when I'm just lookin to chill and run newbies through the game, and others where I'm looking for a more challenging/hardcore experience. I think having some options for this in server configs would really help the community, and I'm thrilled to hear its under consideration.

On 7/4/2019 at 1:27 PM, fuzzhead said:

What would you like to see in a "hardcore" mode?

One life has shown promise but I think a 3-life server would be an awesome compromise. Room for error/learning, but still really high-stakes. It would encourage all the right type of gameplay, but not be so brutal to discourage attempting.

Edited by unfrail