RB79BALL

In the matter of rally point

Will there be any change in the rally point system in V15? Although it is pacing up the game significantly, the drawback is losing the sense of where the front line is located. 

Instead of returning to the PR system with limited spawns, I would recommend a tick down timer system to the rally point. For example, the rally point can only stay up for 3 minutes and it will disappear. Then, the SL will need to re-deploy it. In order to counter act the 1 minute spawn sequence, the timer can reduced to 40 sec. 

What's your thought?

Edited by RB79BALL

Just wanna add that adding a timer would remove the advantage to deploy Rally Points as enemy warning sensors, which is a nice effect when defending.

i often use the magical enemy tester to see if we have cleared an area

i also feel safe when near a rally....no enemy within 30m!

Edited by suds

Hardcore gamemode would require rally being physical instead of virtual, i.e.

1. Squad Leader kit can carry a rally (like rifleman carries ammo)
2. Rally can be deployed and picked via inventory (like rifleman carries ammo)
3. Rally gets blocked instead of disappearing when enemy in range (like radio, and it's already hearable, thanks devs)
4. Rally can be shoveled, shot by vehicles and C4 (like radio)
5. Squad Leader kit owner can resupply rally via ammunition resupply (like everyone else, with cost enough to be carried by rifleman, i.e. 30-50 ammo)

6. Rally should be degradable over time and disappear after like 5 minutes unless shoveled to prevent leaving it to respawn 30 minutes later.

That would make rallies much more immersive hardcore experience, instead of one-click teleportation matter. This also forces squads to rely on ammo (i.e. logistics) to stay in the field.

Super hardcore mode is to make rallies limited,
i.e. deployed rally has ammo limit in K (50) ammo, each time you spawn on it, it uses N (2?) ammo. And here we all forced to watch death screen and wait for medics again.

it even helps your case suds, as enemies will at least be able to hear your radio/rally deployment sound back.

Edited by paragonid

4 hours ago, paragonid said:

3. Rally gets blocked instead of disappearing when enemy in range (like radio, and it's already hearable, thanks devs)
5. Squad Leader kit owner can resupply rally via ammunition resupply (like everyone else, with cost enough to be carried by rifleman, i.e. 30-50 ammo)

6. Rally should be degradable over time and disappear after like 5 minutes unless shoveled to prevent leaving it to respawn 30 minutes later.

That would make rallies much more immersive hardcore experience, instead of one-click teleportation matter. This also forces squads to rely on ammo (i.e. logistics) to stay in the field.

i.e. deployed rally has ammo limit in K (50) ammo, each time you spawn on it, it uses N (2?) ammo. And here we all forced to watch death screen and wait for medics again.

it even helps your case suds, as enemies will at least be able to hear your radio/rally deployment sound back.

Making rally consuming materials is an interesting thought. That may actually solve the spamming problem and encourage a Squad to have more riflemen.

I think rally points should take damage damage from regular bullets instead of C4. This make rally a weaker than a radio to show their temporary status.  

I think they don't even need to be damaged but enemies, because they automatically disappear when enemies are within a certain range. However, it would be possible to "kill" your own rally in order to put down a new one (could still be done automatically when you place a new one) or hide your direction of approach. I think i remember this being the case in Project Reality, you could "kill" your own rally with a knife/bayonet.

Interesting idea however, making rallies a consumable item.

* Keep Buddy Rally just like it is...

* Remove HAB's from the game entirely...

* Add additional Transport Trucks...

* Add Transport Helicopters...

I'd rather they nerf the rallies and make the FOB/HAB more important. Otherwise there's not much need for choppers and extra wheeled transports, we can already teleport all over the place with buddy rallies as it is.

1 hour ago, Burningbeard80 said:

I'd rather they nerf the rallies and make the FOB/HAB more important. Otherwise there's not much need for choppers and extra wheeled transports, we can already teleport all over the place with buddy rallies as it is.

Well at this point currently a Fob/Hab/Ammo Crate is completely redundant if you think about it. So say you want to establish a presence somewhere in enemy territory no matter what you still need a Logistics truck right? That said you need at least 600 build for conventional forces, 500 for Hab and 100 for the Ammo Crate. That leaves only 2400 for ammo.

Now you build the big highly visible pillow fort or instead you just throw 3000 ammo into the truck, drop a Buddy Rally and everyone resupplies ammo off the truck and spreads out dropping their low visibility camouflaged rallies and running back to the truck for ammo. Pure redundancy is what it is because the pacing and flow of the game itself has made building fortifications totally obsolete.

13 hours ago, RB79BALL said:

Instead of returning to the PR system with limited spawns, I would recommend a tick down timer system to the rally point. For example, the rally point can only stay up for 3 minutes and it will disappear. Then, the SL will need to re-deploy it. In order to counter act the 1 minute spawn sequence, the timer can reduced to 40 sec.

What you're describing sounds like Post Scriptum. and PS' rallies are basically the same as Squad's, reliable spawn points as long as you remember to refresh them, kind of like Squad's rallies when they were spawn limited except timed instead. I'm not a fan of them.

Edited by Good-Try Greg

15 hours ago, paragonid said:

I love all of this, except for the degrade mechanic. Would just annoy me as SL. With super hardcore mode limited rallies, hidden rallies would be less a problem. The ammo could limit how many people spawn in. Maybe have them use ammo for their kit? Or you could limit a rally to 9 spawns like in v9 or whatever. If someone goes Rambo and drops a rally behind enemy lines, at least it won't spawn unlimited soldiers.

Also, it would be fun to see logi trucks cruising around the front lines making drops on rallies. More opportunities for explosions :)

Edited by pinko

23 hours ago, paragonid said:

nicely thought out, combines other suggestions nicely. I think this should be tested in a coming alpha.

We could add a feature that allowed a fireteam leader to pick up the rally so they could move it when sl was not able too.

On 03/07/2019 at 12:56 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

Well at this point currently a Fob/Hab/Ammo Crate is completely redundant if you think about it. So say you want to establish a presence somewhere in enemy territory no matter what you still need a Logistics truck right? That said you need at least 600 build for conventional forces, 500 for Hab and 100 for the Ammo Crate. That leaves only 2400 for ammo.

Now you build the big highly visible pillow fort or instead you just throw 3000 ammo into the truck, drop a Buddy Rally and everyone resupplies ammo off the truck and spreads out dropping their low visibility camouflaged rallies and running back to the truck for ammo. Pure redundancy is what it is because the pacing and flow of the game itself has made building fortifications totally obsolete.

That in fact is a very good point for replacing the FOB by occupying a truck and play the caravan game. I will definitely try out this tactic an see if any problem arise.

However, I don't agree this is the intended way to play the game nor the direction that the game should head towards. 

And in the meanwhile, the annoying and unrealistic buddy rally points are still here...

The efficacy of HABs can not be over looked, the rate of deploy is important to keeping pressure on the opposing force. No "we killed 9 enemies so we have a minute to find that rally" mentality

Wish that would come back though, the action in Squad was intense because of the downtime inbetween, now the constant action gets boring after 10 minutes.