Sign in to follow this  
EliteLurker

Request for information; Modding 2.0; loading, creating, plug-ins

Posted (edited)

This video here was a bit too brief and undetailed:

Could we get full and detailed tutorial?

Question: how do I update an exist mod to modding 2.0 in regards to load & edit?
IE What do I need to edit in the .smi file to get it to the new format of .mi?
What do we need for an icon to work? what is the required file size and dimensions, min/max? IE how many pixels? Any other details we should know?
IE does it work with all jpeg formats? Is there a known good format? Where should it be saved? Where is a good known save location?
Mod Title and Description - could we get info on max min characters, can/should we use spaces in the title? Can we use symbols etc?

Note that I have tried various things and it will not work, loading part works, shows Mod Title and Description, I re-saved my PNG icon to a JPG and select image, and click APPLY.
But when I go to load it again or after a SDK restart, my mod just shows the old Mod Title, the old Description and no Icon, no error messages given.
Note the .mi file is NOT set to read only, so it should be modifiable by the mod setup.

How do I add plug-ins from the unreal marketplace? The mirror location that one would use with default UE4.21 is not there, the plug-ins do not show under Plugins in the editor either.

Edit for more clarification on the details I would like.
Edit2: I'm not the only one having trouble, Also oddly enough if I make a new mod it works BUT... the icon is not stored in the .mi file, but IS retained! - IDK where, mystery Location?  Note I have yet to edit Title or Description of the new mod to see if that works.

Edit3: what my .mi files look like:

Old mod, ID number replaced with  ###

[Modding.Core]
Name=OperationSilver
Description=TBA
MD5=
ID=##########

New mod created:

[Modding.Core]
Name=MuttrahCity
Description=Muttrah City PR Remake
MD5=
ID=0

Edited by EliteLurker
More info

Another, much more detailed video will be released that goes into these details soon.

2 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

Another, much more detailed video will be released that goes into these details soon.

Thanks, also going to update my post

Question: how do I update an exist mod to modding 2.0 in regards to load & edit?
IE What do I need to edit in the .smi file to get it to the new format of .mi?

Click Load mod, click your SMI if its visible, if not, Create a new mod, there will be an MI file, it only needs your mod name and mod ID

What do we need for an icon to work? what is the required file size and dimensions, min/max? IE how many pixels? Any other details we should know?

1mb PNG inside the mod folder root (i.e. Mods/ModName (file here) this can be seen in the window>outputlog

Mod Title and Description - could we get info on max min characters, can/should we use spaces in the title? Can we use symbols etc?

The details for this have been improved and are coming soon - i.e. there are prompts

How do I add plug-ins from the unreal marketplace? The mirror location that one would use with default UE4.21 is not there, the plug-ins do not show under Plugins in the editor either.

You cannot use plugins from ue marketplace at present, we will be testing this in the future.

Posted (edited)

Please READ my post as you have not told me anything that isn't already known besides Plug-ins.

Will an icon under 1mb work?
My icon is 720kb, 841px X 750px or is it too large pixel wise? Not square? IE WHY DOESN'T IT WORK?
Or does it have to be 1mb Exactly?
I have mentioned the icon location IS NOT stored in the .mi file so WHERE IS IT STORED? HOW DO I MANUALLY EDIT IT'S LOCATION? because it will not store it, but did for the new mod, both use the same icon, both are in the root of the mod folder, where you said.

EDIT: Also when I try to package I get:
EDIT2: so the apparent fix for the problem below is to delete the folder 'Intermediate' in:
"H:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Squad\Squad"

"ModdingModCooker: Cook (Windows): ERROR: Unable to compile source files.
ModdingModCooker: Cook (Windows):        (see H:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Squad\UnrealEngine\Engine\Programs\AutomationTool\Saved\Logs\Log.txt for full exception trace)
ModdingModCooker: Cook (Windows): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)
ModdingModCooker: Cook (Windows): BUILD FAILED" 

There are piles of errors none look relevant to my mod but I will go throw it.

EDIT3: build failed - seems like like gameplay capture zone stuff, should be easy to fix, but I have never had so many warnings before;
"ModdingModCooker: Cook (Windows):   LogSavePackage: Warning: /OperationSilver/Silver/Silver_Assets/SilverEnviroment/Meshes/SM_MERGED_afg_wall_C_Shape imported Serialize:/Game/Environments/Afghan/materials/MI_Blendlayer_Loamwalls_V1, but it was never saved as an export."
LOL, I have 1000s of these, maybe 10,000.

Edited by EliteLurker

21 hours ago, EliteLurker said:

Please READ my post as you have not told me anything that isn't already known besides Plug-ins.

Just trying to relay information to you here.

Will an icon under 1mb work?
My icon is 720kb, 841px X 750px or is it too large pixel wise? Not square? IE WHY DOESN'T IT WORK?
Or does it have to be 1mb Exactly?
I have mentioned the icon location IS NOT stored in the .mi file so WHERE IS IT STORED? HOW DO I MANUALLY EDIT IT'S LOCATION? because it will not store it, but did for the new mod, both use the same icon, both are in the root of the mod folder, where you said.

1mb png (or under) no size cap, needs to be called Preview.png inside your mod root folder (alongside .mi)

EDIT: Also when I try to package I get:
EDIT2: so the apparent fix for the problem below is to delete the folder 'Intermediate' in:
"H:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Squad\Squad"

"ModdingModCooker: Cook (Windows): ERROR: Unable to compile source files.
ModdingModCooker: Cook (Windows):        (see H:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Squad\UnrealEngine\Engine\Programs\AutomationTool\Saved\Logs\Log.txt for full exception trace)
ModdingModCooker: Cook (Windows): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)
ModdingModCooker: Cook (Windows): BUILD FAILED" 

There are piles of errors none look relevant to my mod but I will go throw it.

Yes it was our mistake, the 'intermediate' folder will need to be deleted,
that will be getting fixed on the SDK side