zenzen

Commander / Map Design

Probably the worst thing about squad leading is...well... other squads. There's no hierarchy. Everyone is doing whatever. Most of the time anyway. It would be great if overall strategies were possible to employ. We need an overall commander role.

Squad 1 does this squad 2 do that squad 3 do that.  You would still need to employ more powerful map tools though. While a commander would be a particularly demanding role it would ease the burden on squad leaders overall. There is a strategy. There is a plan. Everyone is working together.

The other worst thing about squad is the map design. I really don't like it. I like al basarah or however it's spelled. Here's why I like it. It has a variety of environments that change the flavor of the game throughout the map as the game progresses. Very open areas and fields with some centered buildings. Slightly denser fields with more buildings and walls. Then you get into a large city with tons of buildings and walls. The roads have an intuitive feel. You can understand them quickly and see what's important. The way the map is sectioned with the bridges is pretty nice in forcing conflicts in specific areas. Other maps though... end up way too focused on a particular element and just ends up feeling like a pain in the ass. That it's not fun. Like particular maps with lovely winding narrow roads and logi trucks that take 15 minutes for one run as long as you go unmolested except that half the map can see you from far away.

It has yet to be seen that the commander role will actually have effect.

If it's just like in Post Scriptum and evryone can just get in it, it can be a means of griefing/abuse or for incompetence.

I hope they add a vote or something out of all SL's.

Even with the role, you can still just ignore the other squads and do as you will. Unless there is a demote vote of sorts, but that also opens a path to abuse.

You:

I outrank you, do what I say

The internet:

LOL

5 hours ago, zenzen said:

The other worst thing about squad is the map design.

The map designs are one of the best features of the game imho. There isn't a bad map in the game. I'd like to see OPFL back again.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

The map designs are one of the best features of the game imho. There isn't a bad map in the game. I'd like to see OPFL back again.

Kamdesh has been on my sh*tlist for quite a while.

Mestia and Kohat are also almost up there just because of the amount of dang hills.

Belaya too, but not really sure why.

Edited by oTec

14 hours ago, oTec said:

It has yet to be seen that the commander role will actually have effect.

If it's just like in Post Scriptum and evryone can just get in it, it can be a means of griefing/abuse or for incompetence.

I hope they add a vote or something out of all SL's.

Even with the role, you can still just ignore the other squads and do as you will. Unless there is a demote vote of sorts, but that also opens a path to abuse.

I think that a  server with good commanders people would most certainly flock to. I guess the question is how to choose them?

On 7/1/2019 at 5:33 AM, suds said:

You:

I outrank you, do what I say

The internet:

LOL

heh heh... suds the savant. I've had a couple good matches so far where the commander actually had a plan and people listened but mostly I'm just seeing a glorified JTAC. Especially once they have an entire full squad to deal with as well.

Clearly the role needs some teeth. The squad should be locked to only the commander and perhaps maybe a commo officer/spotter role. Plus the main missing component is the fact that the commander has to be able to actually demote insubordinate SL's back to "Unassigned".