Sign in to follow this  
Ruplay

Squad has killed my hard drive

I wanted to save life to my SSD, so I have moved 12 gb page file to hard drive and left 8 gb pagefile on SSD. Two weeks later Windows crashed on squad launch with unexpected storage error. Rebooted and tried again - memory error... and now my hard drive repeatedly buzzes, windows cannot boot... Thank you devs for such a great game. Keep that way and soon there will be no players.

You must be running an older version because Squad doesn't allow anything to be killed after v13. Your hard drive is simply waiting for a Medic now.

17 minutes ago, EA_SUCKS said:

sorry to hear that, but how can you be sure it was the game?

1. Without 20gb pagefile Squad crashes in hour of gameplay with "Not enough virtual memory warning" - proof of intensive pagefile usage

2. Both times Windows crashed when Squad running.

17 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

You must be running an older version because Squad doesn't allow anything to be killed after v13. Your hard drive is simply waiting for a Medic now.

lol :)

It is more likely to be Russians than Squad but there is no proof of either :)

What did you have for dinner that day? This may sound strange but is critical to my investigation which will not stop until i grow bored of it or exit this thread.

15 hours ago, Smee said:

It was the Russians :)

Most likely.

However why why the hell would you have a part of the game on SSD and another part on HDD if i understood correctly.

Why not put the whole game on SSD like all of us do. 

He didn't have the game in 2 places. The game would have to be coded specifically for something like this to work.

He had the page file in separate drives and it makes perfect sense. A page file is the system's virtual memory and is part of your operating system (windows in this case). When you run out of RAM, your PC will move the thing you used the least or the thing you used the longest ago (depending on algorithm used, this is just a simplified explanation) to that place in the hard drive. When you need it again, it will load it back from the disk into RAM and move something else from the RAM to the disk.

This is what happens when you open a lot of different programs. As long as it can all fit into the RAM it's ok and everything loads fast. But as you keep opening more programs, after a point you'll see that things start getting slower and your hard disk light blinks when you alt-tab between programs. That's your page file working. When you alt-tab from firefox or chrome back into your excel or photoshop and your RAM is almost full, your PC will copy everything that is needed for chrome to function to the page file and "freeze" it. It will also load everything it needs for excel to work from the disk back into your RAM and "unfreeze" it, so you can work with it. And since hard disks are slower than RAM, whenever there is reading and writing to the disk things go slower in general.

In other words, there is lots of writing and deleting on the disk that has the page file. And since SSD life limits are directly tied to the amount of writing operations performed, it makes a lot of sense to not have your pagefile on your SSD, but on a normal HDD drive.

As for the original post, i don't think it's possible for a game or any software to simply destroy hardware without warning. I've burned a graphics card when i was playing an early unoptimized version of the Cliffs of Dover flight simulator, but it didn't happen suddenly, there were a lot of warning signs. The fans were loud because they were spinning faster,  the temperatures were higher, even my room would get warmer after a while, so i knew i was pushing that card a bit too hard. It was also summer and my gaming room is in a part of the house that is not easily reached by the air conditioning. So, the card slowly fried as i was playing the game over a few months and it eventually died. I could have done something to improve cooling or reduce the graphics settings to give the poor card a break, but i didn't and it died. But i knew something was wrong.

Similar to that, if you could see your disc light going off a lot during gameplay, you could assume there's a lot of paging going on in the background. In your position, i would keep Squad on the SSD and keep the pagefile on the mechanical HDD drive as soon as i noticed that.

Edited by Burningbeard80