Sign in to follow this  
pigsoup

Customisable Vehicle Loadout?

Hello,

I have been watching Generation Kill again and whenever I do, I want to play squad. This time, my thought got focused on the almost barebone Humvee that the Force Recon Marines cruises in. On a related note, I have been running "light infantry" squad - 4 men, where we primarily hunt down FOBs, reconnaissance, and light skirmishes and capping if the team at large are bogged down. So we have been using MRAP and BDRM (maps that feature militia are too small for me to enjoy this gameplay) as transport and ammo supply roles instead of their fire support role. 

Back to the barebone Humvee, how would you guys feel about being able to customise the vehicle loadout? From very basic things to SPG Techincal or Tanks choosing more of one round than another to more extreme things - doorless/unarmoured MRAP and no 50 cal. but more ammo supply? The MRAPs will spawn as normal and when you get in, the driver will be able to customsie via command options. 

Just a thought I had. Maybe it is not authentic due to there being no MRAP or BDRM in service that has no main gun / even if they exist, they are reserved for special forces etc etc... I am NOT envisioning arcady customisation where you trade armour for speed etc etc on every vehicle

Thanks. 

I think your suggestion highlights an underlying issue. Currently a lot of vehicles are used mostly as fire support and they carry with them a burden of losing them. However, i would prefer to have more vehicles that are purely transports instead of having customization. Customization would increase the amount of vehicle roles available, but the number of actual vehicles in play would remain the same, so there would be less vehicles per role. This could create shortages and problems in the heat of battle, and people might complain about the kind of setup you choose on your vehicle. "We don't have fire support because squad 2 took the MRAP and turned it into an unarmed transport, shame on you squad 2, now someone has to drive it all the way back to main to turn it back into an armed version", that kind of stuff xD

It's true however that we now have a situation where logis are too valuable to use for mere transport (and still, people do it all the time) and things like MRAPs are too useful in a combat role to do the same (even if it makes more sense to use an MRAP than a logi), but pure transport vehicles are lacking in most layers. So people have to either abandon valuable logis in the field, use armed vehicles in a very limited role, or make FOBs and rallies much closer to the objectives. This is somewhat influencing the currently fast paced tempo of gameplay as well.

I don't know if it's a performance issue that is preventing this, but some of the bigger maps could certainly do with more unarmed vehicles of a purely transportation role spawning at main. For example, back in Project Reality the British and the Israeli factions had unarmed open top Land Rovers and Humvees respectively, the insurgents had a couple of non-logi civilian vans (i think they were actually the old volkswagen type of van with the round headlights, similar to the old Beetle) and most army factions also had plain transport trucks. However, due to the amount of fire support assets and commander abilities available, people routinely used armed Humvees as regular transports as well (the open turret ones, not the CROWS version). It was not a big deal to lose one because they had a low ticket cost and fast respawn timers, but also because there were a lot more ways to get fire support in the field than relying on what is essentially a jeep with a .50 on top. Maybe this (balance and usability) is also why thin-skinned vehicles are so hard to kill currently in Squad, requiring multiple LAT rockets or even a HAT kit to take them down.

It will be interesting to see how the meta and balance evolves, as more vehicles of different types and commander abilities are added to the game.

I think an important part of making vehicles actual transports would be to space out engagements. The reason they are in the vehicles half the time in the series is that they are moving between objectives assigned. But in Squad we arrive right in the firezone 2 seconds out of main. To emphasize tactical mobility and actual vehicle transport either you would need to space missions out or make it really friggin tedious to not use vehicles. But then again some maps are really tedious for vehicles as in real life you can try to remove an obstacle like a wall can be destroyed and trees run over but in the game depending on the map vehicles are confined to single lanes that do not offer the best relocation routes.

Additionally a reason that most people don't take vehicles after the start of the round is that anti vehicle weaponry is really prevalent. Any decently organized squad is going to have 2 LAT kits with a slight possibility of a HAT kit. Whilst most transport options are neglected due to noise and shitty relocation abilities on maps it doesn't help that you can lose an entire squad in 1 hit.

I'd like it if the vehicles would have random loadouts selected from a list at spawn (so no 2 vehicles in the match look the same). This instead of customisation as nobody would like to take the no doors mrap as you would get shot out.

But then again I would like it as well if vehicles assigned to a squad (through the requisition function) would actually stay with the squad for more than 2 minutes at the start. 10 minutes in to the game you can see your half of the map full of abandoned trucks and cars that were just used to get to one objective and then dismissed like a red headed stepchild. Maybe the squad who left it should get some sort of penalty for abandoning or whenever a claimed vehicle is destroyed.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:48 PM, liamNL said:

Maybe the squad who left it should get some sort of penalty for abandoning or whenever a claimed vehicle is destroyed.

Or simply do like other previous games in the genre and make abandoned vehicles non-persistent with a 5 minute respawn timer.