Sign in to follow this  
Zylfrax791

Randomized Vehicle Respawns

Just like fog of war was added to AAS in order to reduce the herd mentality to rush central objectives now we need to apply randomization to the vehicle spawn and respawn timers, especially the MBT's.

Reason being on the maps that have the MBT's you've now seemingly got up to 8 dudes in crewman kits doing parkour and ferret dancing back at main for up to 30 minutes being completely useless. Either get rid of the cooldown's entirely or make it so you can't anticipate when they will respawn.

This is mostly an issue of player behavior though. I'm not sure i agree with introducing mechanics changes that might have unforeseen consequences in other parts of the game to fix something that could be part of the server rules. For example, introducing randomized spawn timers would play havoc with having dedicated tankers, because it would make sense to just stop running as a tank squad the moment you die and go join an infantry squad. Or people would simply not care again and still camp the tank spawn at main.

I think a "no idling in main" server rule would be enough to solve this issue. And i agree with you that if a tank is down, it makes perfect sense to play as infantry for a few minutes until it respawns. I think the reason people don't do it is because, again, it's the server rules that are lacking: vehicles are free for all and there are no dedicated squads for the "high tier" assets. People stay in main in order to be able to snatch vehicles the moment they respawn, and not risk having them taken by another squad.

If it was part of the rules that only a squad named "tank" (or something similar) can use tanks (and you got warned and kicked for "stealing" a tank from them), people wouldn't have to camp the spawn and could go out and play as a 3-6 man infantry squad until their vehicles respawn.

1 hour ago, Burningbeard80 said:

For example, introducing randomized spawn timers would play havoc with having dedicated tankers, because it would make sense to just stop running as a tank squad the moment you die and go join an infantry squad. Or people would simply not care again and still camp the tank spawn at main.

There's nothing "dedicated" about them waiting 30 minutes at Main for the respawn though because they're the knucklehead's that lost the MBT in the first place wouldn't you agree?

I mean already the vehicle ticket costs are so low to the point of being Arcade so we might as well just completely remove their ticket cost and respawn timer as well right? And btw, whatever happened to the cooldown timer linked to you and your squad when you destroyed a vehicle?

Posted (edited)

As a matter of fact i wouldn't agree. Even the best players will suffer losses. Your initial issue was what they do between respawns and i proposed a way to solve that through server rules and administration (and it's not even my idea, i've just seen it work very well in another, similar game). Vehicles are very cheap to lose as it is, making them cheaper would just make the game move at an even faster pace.

When i say dedicated, i mean that

• you make a squad with a specific name (e.g Tank, APC) to run certain assets
  • there can only be one squad per asset type (so, all tanks have to be in the same squad and not multiple tank squads, all APCs in another squad, and so on)
  • the squad in question runs those assets for the duration of the round or until it disbands
  • other squads are not allowed to take those assets without asking the dedicated squad first ("hey, you're only 3 people, do you mind if we take that spare APC from main?"), the dedicated squad can still refuse though

If the server is in seeding/low population and there are not enough players to man everything in separate squads, the rules can be relaxed. If a dedicated squad is not up and running their type of vehicle is free for all to use, but if someone makes a dedicated squad their vehicles are now "claimed" by that squad.

It doesn't have anything to do with the performance of the players. Dedicated just means they have a specific role during the round and the other players won't take the tools they need to play that role.

In most servers that use such a system, claimables are usually armored vehicles (and later on, helicopters). Stuff like trucks and jeeps (logis, MRAPS, etc) can be used by everyone without restrictions.

Edited by Burningbeard80