My Suggestion:

We really need a button ingame, that turns off the mic at once. Every channel dead! No SL, no Team, no close mates. Just silence.

Y?

If you do the FOB-hunting, you very need to have it quiet, to hear the enemy radio. Just lots of talking, it is once-in-a-while just not possible

to hear it. But you hear your annoying SL talking, Team talking sh*'" so, just add a mute button.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Barbarossa said:

If you do the FOB-hunting, you very need to have it quiet, to hear the enemy radio. Just lots of talking, it is once-in-a-while just not possible

to hear it. But you hear your annoying SL talking, Team talking sh*'" so, just add a mute button.

Isn´t he fob hunting with you?

Are you lonewolfing fob hunting? Be advised that I´m not being judgemental, after all, current SQUAD mechanics incentivize that kind of tactics.

If you are just tell him you´re doing it and mute your squad mates. 

I wouldn´t mind having a button. Still….

IF we have come to the point in which somebody is asking for a TOTAL MUTE button then SQUAD is obviously losing its "uniqueness". A game that is supossed to be about teamwork and  and is suppossed to be different from mainstream fast paced individually played shooters has people asking for a MUTE BUTTON (so I can do my own thing) , somebody is asking for SUPRESSION REMOVAL, somebody else wants AUTOBUILDING CONSTRUCTIONS, somebody is asking for BOT DRIVEN LOGIS...

sad...

Edited by Nightingale87

Sometimes beeing high professional Combat Engineer, that plays his role perfect, needs the lonewolving part, where no random gives your position away by fireing at the enemy in 1000miles away.

And I don't want to open up spawnmenue and click anyone name by name. That needs to much time to mute and fast unmute guys.

Having a mute button dont destroys Squad as you typed. Those randoms are just kicked of my squad instandly...

6 hours ago, Barbarossa said:

Sometimes beeing high professional Combat Engineer, that plays his role perfect, needs the lonewolving part, where no random gives your position away by fireing at the enemy in 1000miles away.

And I don't want to open up spawnmenue and click anyone name by name. That needs to much time to mute and fast unmute guys.

Having a mute button dont destroys Squad as you typed. Those randoms are just kicked of my squad instandly...

Yeah!... As I said, no problema with you or with what you´re doing. I´d be doing the same thing.

I actually have a problema with the game that makes those tactics be very useful and usually pay back. And actually makes somebody ask for a mute button in the game.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:41 AM, Barbarossa said:

My Suggestion:

We really need a button ingame, that turns off the mic at once. Every channel dead! No SL, no Team, no close mates. Just silence.

I'm hoping they might go a step further and add a volume adjustment slider for each Com channel (local, squad, command) to the new comms rosette, you really do need some quiet when you're sneaking up on an enemy, but instead you're subjected to your squad chat halfway across the map discussing their favorite waifu pillow covers, which, don't get me wrong, is an important topic, but you've gotta have priorities

5 hours ago, kubikiri said:

you really do need some quiet when you're sneaking up on an enemy, but instead you're subjected to your squad chat halfway across the map discussing their favorite waifu pillow covers...

I love this thread.

This is the proof that SQUAD has changed completely from the initial claims of the intended gameplay.

You definitely need a cuddle...

Pillow cover conversations are important to community and enjoyment which is the only reason there will be someone in the server to shoot at in 2 years time.

Mute/Attenuate button as a tool is a good idea,  added function of sliders is a nice bonus but far from essential.

Adding buttons is a poor UX choice, I wonder how it could be best implemented?

A radio mute button would be beneficial because sometimes your squadmates simply will not shut their suck-holes and the SL is apathetic and won't handle the situation. Radio discipline is a thing in the military, hard to introduce and enforce on public servers. 

When you've got a point man or scout whose job it is to look and listen for enemies, it's measurably harder to do that job when some guy who accidently spawned back at base won't stay off the radio about some inane nonsense as he tries to figure out how to get back to the rest of the group. Or say you're taking contact and most of the squad gets wiped out and you're the only one left trying to listen for enemies coming in to your building. Hard to do when your teammates who are effectively dead won't stop talking.

I get the teamplay argument for why it a mute button doesn't need to exist, but when you approach it from the standpoint of practicality or how things actually unfold in the game it makes sense to implement it. It's one of those "on-paper" vs "in practice" arguments.

agree . 
i dont really want to listen for squad leader chat most of the time .

pure cancer anyway .

most of the time they speak about irrelevant stuff or trying to teach u how to play .

SQUAD LEADER MUTE !!! 

Posted (edited)

It's just not really in the nature of the game, and i personally think it would be more detrimental than good. 

Sure people can get annoying sometimes, but honestly its not that bad, if you are hunting, just tell your squad to shut up for a second, most people are pretty understanding. And after all there are tools already in game to prioritise channels and sounds. Or did we all forget the Audio section of settings? 

0bb90e8e9b7e235c6959583c966c1e79.png

Edited by BroBeans

It's not a solo game and it's supposed to convey a bit of the confusion of a battle (and chaotic comms is part of that), so it's a no from me.

Both in Project Reality in the past and in Squad now, the best thing about the game for me is the immersion, not sick K/D ratios. So i prefer hearing a bunch of badasses turn into scared children when suddenly a tank rolls up on them, than being able to play in absolute peace and quiet. I mean what's next, mute distant gunfire and explosions? :D

Also, such a feature will be abused so hard by lonewolfing players that it's not even funny. SLs are already swamped with tons of things to manage, imagine now if you don't even know when your guys can hear you.

I played a round of TC today with some guys who were either new to the game or didn't care, i had SL thrown on me because the previous guy got disconnected, i'm not a regular SL and i don't know the TC mode very well yet, and communication was not very good. It was a very difficult thing to manage, trying to coordinate with other squads, telling people the same things over and over and having them go out all over the map to do something completely different, and you didn't even know if they had a reason for doing it because they wouldn't make call outs or be vague about them. The other squads were doing a good job on command chat and were trying hard, but i just couldn't get control of my dudes in an effective manner.

I'm sure part of it is as much on me as it is on them, but there's only so much you can do if people don't gel together well enough. Just a couple of hours before this game, i had another round where again i took SL after our original left and we did very good, even though i had 3-4 people in squad who were brand new to the game. One of them was playing for the first time ever, but he listened to instructions and did terrific. He was a medic, did a very good job keeping us going and due to us moving door to door (Al Basrah) and clearing corners and buildings, he also got the most amount of kills in the entire squad by clearing the people camping our bodies when he was coming in for revives.

Communication is pretty critical in this game. Now you at least know people are not paying attention and you can take action about it (tell them to pull back, explain why they need to do something, or kick, depending on your SL style and their level of cooperation). With such a feature you will have to guess if they are muting you to ignore everything and go play solo in the middle of the map, or if they really need some quiet because they are sneaking around a FOB.

I see it becoming abused bad enough, that the SLs will in turn abuse the kick button equally hard, because they will either have no way of knowing if their dudes can hear them, or they will have to constantly go to the map to check who's muted and who's not. It's got so much potential for empowering toxic behavior in the game that i see it becoming a royal pain in the behind to manage.

Don't mess up toxic play with tactical one. Lot's of lonewolves are and will be in the game. It dosen't matter whether there is the botton to switch radios on/off, or not. In first place, skilled players are able to do their skilled stuff, bad lonewolves are gonne kicked from squad anyway...

I'm not saying every player who's further than 50m from the squad is toxic lonewolf. I'm saying that with such a mechanic the SL doesn't know what's happening, can't maintain control of his squad and is more likely to kick unresponsive players as a result.

Not all players are toxic (i've seen very few), but the mechanic can be used to great effect by those that are. Want to do your own thing and disregard everything? Spawn in, get your favorite kit and mute everyone. After a while, SLs will start to get annoyed so the reverse happens. Someone went to fill a glass of water while he's down? SL hears no response, automatically assumes the player has muted everyone and kicks him without asking or waiting. It's just too hard to manage in the midst of a fight.

I) Don't obey or response on order: Get kicked from Squad or even Server (we do on our Servers: Squad Europe / Squadeinander). Could happen even if you are not muting any channel...

II) Litlle Icon to scoreboard or Squadboard, that a mate has his mic`s off...total information for the SL and any squadmember. Problem solved :-)

True, but it's still one more thing for the SL to keep track of. I'd rather not have to deal with it and add another layer of things to micromanage.

Ideally, i'd like to see an overhaul of FOB and radio mechanics. It's immersion breaking to see a bunch of buildings disappear simply because a radio went down to a small explosion 100 meters away. What is it, magic? Make FOBs work similar to Project Reality and then you need buddies to assault them, this means less need for lone wolfing and no need for muting anything. Also problem solved. There's more than one ways to skin a cat :)

On 8.7.2019 at 12:10 PM, Burningbeard80 said:

True, but it's still one more thing for the SL to keep track of. I'd rather not have to deal with it and add another layer of things to micromanage.

Ideally, i'd like to see an overhaul of FOB and radio mechanics. It's immersion breaking to see a bunch of buildings disappear simply because a radio went down to a small explosion 100 meters away. What is it, magic? Make FOBs work similar to Project Reality and then you need buddies to assault them, this means less need for lone wolfing and no need for muting anything. Also problem solved. There's more than one ways to skin a cat :)

I don't wannna cook a cat! :-P

It was just an example of many other problems, you have to deal with the voice. E.g. in the beginning of a round, you, as a SL of course, want to talk to other squadleads. They - as well as you - are all suffering from squad- and localvoicespam. MUTE them, talk to other SL an reactivate the mic would be much better for overall com. than that spagghetti-ball-talking...

Btw. I make an mic-check every round I play SL. There is really no nontalker kept in Squad.