Sign in to follow this  
pinko

[Conversion] Pinko's SquadMod

Pinko's SquadMod

I've had a lot of time on my hands and want to start modding around a new game mode that will hopefully add some immersion and fun for those who enjoy a varied and slower-paced fragfest. 

With a few ideas fleshed out and a lot more to consider, here is what I'm currently thinking of doing:

Core Components 

These are changes to the core game design, including spawning, capturing objectives, and building or aquiring assets. Their design will focus around how the game simulates the mobilization of troops from the main supply route (MSR), and the way in which territory control is evaluated. 

Uniforms or shirts:

A new resource that represents a potential player avatar ("pawn" in UE4 parlance).

Uniforms represent the location of a ticket, and can be thought of as cashing in tickets for boots on the ground. A uniform/shirt icon will be used to differentiate the resource from total team tickets.

Uniforms are bought at Main while in a vehicle with an empty passenger seat. They cost 1 ticket apiece, and can be refunded (similarly to loading & unloading supply/ammo). The uniform takes up an empty seat in the vehicle, so that only as many players and uniforms fit in the vehicle as there are seats. *uniforms can't take driver/gunner/command seats

Unloading uniforms on HABs:

Uniforms can be unloaded on adjacent HABs, allowing the team to build up potential infantry strength on the map. 

Possible implementation:

HABs can hold a certain number of uniforms. Multiple HABs must be built to accommodate more uniforms. Alternative HABs (not really bunkers), such as tents and simple cots, can be placed for less supply if the extra protection isn't required (e.g. for hidden camps, occupying buildings).

Spawning on Vehicles:

Players may spawn on a vehicle by using a uniform the vehicle is carrying. 

Reasoning:

Vehicles act as staging assets for the squad. Unused uniforms wait in the vehicle and can be used to spawn in reinforcements when squadmates go down. Vehicles may return to Main or a HAB to reload uniforms. This ability replaces rallies. 

Possible implementation: players spawn in an empty passenger seat, and one uniform is removed from the vehicle's inventory. 

Or: loading uniforms in a vehicle spawns a soldier model (pawn) in an empty passenger seat of the vehicle. This pawn is then controlled by a player when they spawn in, and a uniform is removed from vehicle inventory.

Possible rally rework: rallies can be placed within a certain range of a vehicle or HAB. It costs the vehicle/HAB one uniform to spawn on the rally.

Vehicle Purchasing:

Vehicles can be puchased by squad leads via a radial menu on radios. Vehicles cost their ticket value on purchase, rather than on their destruction. Purchased vehicles spawn at Main, perhaps with a time delay. Main will always have a radio to purchase vehicles. 

Reasoning:

Vehicle purchasing adds variety in decisions about deployment and use of heavy weapons and armour. It also removes uncertainty about downtime when vehicles are destroyed or abandoned on the field. Players can always redeploy if they are wiped on the field.

Possible implementation: Vehicle purchase requires sufficient crewman kits in the squad to to fully man the vehicle's combat components. Vehicle purchase may require a vote from SLs (with a 30 sec timer for votes; simple majority, tie goes to the yeas. 2 min cooldown for calling a vote). Vehicles require available space to spawn at Main (could be tied to particular buildings, i.e. check for empty garage; spawn in garage).  

Tweaks

These changes add to convenience or immersion. 

Increased match freeztime:

More freezetime at match start will provide SLs time to plan together and make initial purchases of troops and assets. 

Squad comms muting: 

Players can mute squad comms using a toggle hotkey. Possible implementation: a red indicator will appear next to squad comms HUD notifications when muted. SL can force squad comms to unmute. 

Recruitment

I'm going to make the mod I want, but I'm open to feedback and suggestions. If there's something you think would improve on the concept or implementation, let me know!

I will be editing the topic post when I make changes, but will notify in comments about changes made based on feedback.

Anyone with Blueprint experience, message me if you want to help make things happen.

Edited by pinko
clarity; refinements; forum compliance