Sign in to follow this  
fatalsushi

Why current movement goes against Squad’s vision

Found a good thread on Reddit about why the current movement in Squad goes against it’s vision (unless that vision has been scrapped to make Squad more like Battlefield).

Posted (edited)

I'm not totally against the new speed (it's faster, but you also run out of stamina sooner). I think it's the low inertia that makes it feel "gamey" more than the speed itself. In other words, i don't think that the new speed is too much to achieve for a trained soldier in good shape who is getting shot at (a leisurely jog is just as unrealistic when under fire). It's the ability to change directions rapidly that is a bit too optimistic and results in unrealistic zig-zagging.

Some people have proposed a good solution but it could be a bit tough to get it right. The developers would have to impose certain limits on how fast you can side-strafe or turn, depending on how fast your forward speed is at the moment you press the A/D keys or move your mouse around.

The rest of that reddit post also contains some very good and interesting points about the current gameplay and meta.

Edited by Burningbeard80

This isn't some new revelation. Over the last nearly four years many people including myself have pointed out the fact that this "hybrid" game is a juxtaposition of many elements that are not only contradictory but often times cancel each other out. On one hand strict "Realism" is applied in a hodge podge fashion to things like the role selection but then on the other hand you can use a sci-fi Star Trek transporter to materialize onto planet Popanov.

Personally I bought the game when it first came out on Steam and I was neither a founder or supporter so I've got no dog in the fight because I've already got my money's worth and then some however I do feel like the founders and supporters should get the PR clone (or as close as possible) they were basically promised. Everything else is icing on the cake.

That's why limping/bad aim if hit in arms, would be huge and an actual jolt from getting hit by a bullet.....