MeAWarChild

High VRAM usage crash

To start off, here are my specs:

CPU: i7-8700

GPU: NVIDIA 1050ti with 4gb VRAM
RAM: 16gb Ballistix DDR4-2666mhz (running in dual channel)

Hard Drive: 7200RPM SATA HDD

I've noticed that I'm usually running at least 96% vram usage in my 1050 ti. I have had the game crash once or twice when I've seen it approach 4000mb usage. Usually in the 3990mb usage range the game freezes and I CTD without a notification. 

Would getting an SSD (namely the Samsung 970 EVO Plus) and transferring my OS and Squad to it  help with the VRAM usage ? I'm not terribly tech-savvy but perusing another topic caused me to reflect on this and I didn't want to hi-jack that thread.

it won't help I think, I play on SSD

I have a 1080 and my game uses all 8GB of VRAM

but I play on 4k

Screen resolution, texture quality and AA are the main things affecting vram usage. You might want to try lowering the texture quality in Squads settings to see if it helps.

Having an SSD will not help vram usage. It'll merely allow faster transfer of data into vram when called. If you've already filled the bucket with the small hose getting a bigger hose isn't going to help. You'll need a bigger bucket for all the water you want or you're just going to have to limit your water requirements.

Having the SSD will benefit your system in so many more ways and is a very worthwhile upgrade but it won't cure you lack of vram woes.

3 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Screen resolution, texture quality and AA are the main things affecting vram usage. You might want to try lowering the texture quality in Squads settings to see if it helps.

Having an SSD will not help vram usage. It'll merely allow faster transfer of data into vram when called. If you've already filled the bucket with the small hose getting a bigger hose isn't going to help. You'll need a bigger bucket for all the water you want or you're just going to have to limit your water requirements.

Having the SSD will benefit your system in so many more ways and is a very worthwhile upgrade but it won't cure you lack of vram woes.

Even setting everything to low still seems to eat up VRAM. I’ve considered a better GPU but reading that others still max out VRAM isn’t terribly comforting.

I am using a 1080ti with 11gb GDDR5x vram on 2560x1080 res @ 1.25 with Epic settings and texture streaming off and I regularly see 8-9 GB vram usage on Afterburner hardware monitor. That's a pretty heavy example to show you where I expect max vram usage to be around. These days you want plenty of vram on your card especially as we go up from 1080p.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:45 AM, MeAWarChild said:

To start off, here are my specs:

CPU: i7-8700

GPU: NVIDIA 1050ti with 4gb VRAM
RAM: 16gb Ballistix DDR4-2666mhz (running in dual channel)

Hard Drive: 7200RPM SATA HDD

I've noticed that I'm usually running at least 96% vram usage in my 1050 ti. I have had the game crash once or twice when I've seen it approach 4000mb usage. Usually in the 3990mb usage range the game freezes and I CTD without a notification. 

Would getting an SSD (namely the Samsung 970 EVO Plus) and transferring my OS and Squad to it  help with the VRAM usage ? I'm not terribly tech-savvy but perusing another topic caused me to reflect on this and I didn't want to hi-jack that thread.

Someone helped me with this problem. Now I can pass on the information!

Change your hard drive paging size. 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

I changed the value to custom size of 10,000mb in the initial size and max size with those values. Haven't had a problem since. Make sure you verify integrity of files and clear cache in game options.

Hope this helps you also!