Michael

Game laggy at start.

I built my PC back in February and didn't really play Squad because I had no one to play with but I never had this problem when I did. Now some of my irl's are wanting to get into it so here I am the newbie back at it. The problems I seem to be having with the game is that it takes me forever to load into a game and my game is extremely laggy and choppy at the start of the match for about 2 minutes (I never time it) I'm not sure what the problem could be. I never have anything running in the background and I would like this to stop happening so that I don't miss anymore start of the games. Because when I finally get able to find my bearing and move around on my own will. My whole team/squad has left me at the original spawn. So is it that my PC is too weak to do so? I run the game on low setting across the board and I'm still choppy at the start of the game and have horrible load times.

My PC Specs:
uafat1X.png

Halp pls.

I've found that the game can be laggy for the first 30 - 60 seconds when I join (ie frames drop). But it soon clears.

Have you tried clearing the cache?

1060 3gb should be fine. 

8GB RAM is a tad low, I'd try adding another 8GB stick if possible. I have 16GB and that's still not enough. 

SSD would be the next step.

Lastly, Squad has a history of performing poorly on AMD's from what I've read. 

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I've found that the game can be laggy for the first 30 - 60 seconds when I join (ie frames drop). But it soon clears.

1060 3gb should be fine. 

8GB RAM is a tad low, I'd try adding another 8GB stick if possible. I have 16GB and that's still not enough. 

AMD Ryzen fixed that poor preformance for single core.

Been using the same 2600 myself and no problems.

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

1060 3gb should be fine. 

So even with your 16 gb ram is it still choppy?
And install Squad on a ssd?

36 minutes ago, oTec said:

AMD Ryzen fixed that poor preformance for single core.

Been using the same 2600 myself and no problems.

Is the game laggy at the start for you as well? Or do I need a little more boost.

10 minutes ago, Michael said:

Is the game laggy at the start for you as well? Or do I need a little more boost.

It's not as smooth as v12 but i have no difference between the start or during. Maybe it's due to the fact that you're in main base at the beginning of the round.

13 hours ago, Michael said:

Slightly, for few seconds. I'm usually I've of the first spawned though...

8gb ram is borderline for Squad but 16gb is plenty.

Two questions:

1. Are you using a SSD? Is your OS and Squad installed on it if you are?

2.What gpu are you using and how much vram does it have? Gpu data gets loaded into vram through system ram. If your gpu has 6gb vram and you're filling it that 6gb of data has to pass through your 8gb of system ram. Something has to give. That means data is paged out to the Windows pagefile and reloaded when required. If that's happening on a slow HDD things are going to be choppy for a while like you experience. Having more system ram will help.

If you run Task Manager (using ram as well) and launch Squad. Join an empty server and alt-tab out to Task Manager you can check how much ram is being used and how much is committed to the pagefile.

23 hours ago, oTec said:

It's not as smooth as v12 but i have no difference between the start or during. Maybe it's due to the fact that you're in main base at the beginning of the round.

Update: I played maybe 2 ½  games last night. My load time wasn't that long, it was very considerate I'd like to think.
I didn't do anything to my pc, but the only thing I half ass know about pc's. I defragged my C drive. Maybe(?) that was the issue? Game worked fine last night I had no problems.

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

Two questions:

2.What gpu are you using and how much vram does it have? Gpu data gets loaded into vram through system ram. If your gpu has 6gb vram and you're filling it that 6gb of data has to pass through your 8gb of system ram. Something has to give. That means data is paged out to the Windows pagefile and reloaded when required. If that's happening on a slow HDD things are going to be choppy for a while like you experience. Having more system ram will help.

If you run Task Manager (using ram as well) and launch Squad. Join an empty server and alt-tab out to Task Manager you can check how much ram is being used and how much is committed to the pagefile.

Squad is on my OS (yes, I know it should be on a SSD.)

I don't know how much gpu I'm using, I'm not tech savvy like that (sorry) but when I get off of work today I will run task manager and give you the information.

2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Two questions:

This is pretty much the reason i can play with a GPU that is below minimum requirements. I have an i5 with 8GB of ram but i didn't upgrade my old GPU (waiting on prices for 1060/1080 to drop a lot), so i'm still rolling with an nvidia GTX 750 that only has 1 GB of video RAM (the 770 listed as minimum for Squad has 2GB).

The thing is, i have a samsung evo SSD which is of the M2/nvme variety (M2 refers to the form factor/size/shape of the device while nvme refers to the connection/communication mechanism with the rest of the PC). These are almost double the price of a regular SSD for the same capacity, but they are blazing fast. Basically, what they do is plug in directly onto the motherboard and bypass a lot of other stuff.

A regular SSD is installed similar to a mechanical hard drive and communicates with the rest of the system through the same SATA connection. This means that even if their flash/solid state storage is fast, they are limited by the speed of the SATA connection which tends to be slower.

According to various sources, SATA III maxes out at about 600MB/s (older SATA II motherboards are half that, 300MB/s). Due to various overheads and what not, a regular SSD through a SATA III connection will give you read/write speeds of approximately 530/500 MB per second, respectively. This is much faster than a mechanical hard drive. For example, a 7200 RPM SATA drive gets around 100MB per second depending on age, condition, and level of fragmentation.

In contrast, nvme drives are SSDs that plug directly onto the motherboard without going through a SATA channel. The specs for mine state read speeds as high as 3500MB per second (this is 7 times the speed of a regular SSD) and write speeds up to 2500 MB per second. Essentially, pagefile operations are a non-issue for such a drive.

Now, the main thing that makes my GPU crappy is the low VRAM. It's clocked at a lower frequency than a 1050, but it has a comparable number of cores (actually, i think it has a few more). So, all other things being equal, it should be able to run the game just fine. The problem, in comparison to a more modern card, is the lack of vram that makes it hard to load the high detail textures. However, since my SSD is so fast and my 8GB of ram only have to push 1GB of data to the GPU each time, the system can load/unload textures as necessary and keep going, and you would never notice it if it wasn't for the peaks and drops in detail.

Whenever i get a lot of things happening on the screen, it's not my fps that drops. What drops is the quality of certain textures (this is also thanks to the game engine doing the so called texture streaming, loading progressively higher detail textures as your system has resources for them). So i might get simplified smoke/explosion effects at some point and in extreme cases, i might get a "cardboard tree"  or two (the faraway, low detail model) in closer distances. The first thing to go is the detail on certain vegetation models (eg, poppy fields are blocky) and my player character's model and gun, so instead of looking at my hands with freelook and seeing cammo patterns and glove details, i see the blurred, single color version of it that you see when you look at another player standing 50-100 meters away from you and the colors blend in together.

Not a big deal at all, especially considering that i use vsync and the fps limiter, so my FPS is rock stable and playable 99% of the time, on a card that is below spec. In fact, if you combine all the above factors and the lower resolution of my monitor (1680x1050, it's a 16:10), i can set almost maximum detail settings and forget about it. Whenever my GPU starts choking, the game will automatically downgrade something for me to keep it playable. Sure, you might get a couple of ugly screenshots at times, but that's a small price to pay when you can run the game effectively at a fraction of the usual cost and still get high detail for the majority of the time playing.

2 hours ago, Burningbeard80 said:

This is pretty much the reason i can play ....snip

I think for gaming you would of been better to have 16gb ram and a SATA SSD than 8gb and nvme SSD for around the same sort of cost. DDR ram is still waaay faster than nvme SSDs. nvme tops out at about 3.2 GB/s where as the slowest DDR3 is 8.5 GB/s and it scales up from there.

It's been proven many times that there isn't that much difference in PC performance in gaming to choose nvme over SATA for the extra cost involved. That cost saving is changing now nvme prices are falling though and the little boost nvme provides is worth it to some. SATA SSDs don't tend to bottleneck any PCs for regular or gaming use as it's usually the processing of the data that is the restriction.