Sign in to follow this  
Jorgee

What is the reasoning behind requiring logi truck in a 30mts radius for setting a Radio?

I would like to know the reason, because a truck is not something that remains there, in the radio (contrary to ammo crates in Project Reality).

Why is it needed in less 30mts to the radio set up location?

Could you please rewrite your question? I can't seem to understand it.

He wants to know why a logi is required within a 30 meter distance to drop a radio and compares it to Project Reality which had a similar mechanic.

In Project Reality there were no radios, but supplies were dropped in crates and they only contained ammo. Rearming and/or changing kits drained the amount of ammo remaining in the crates. You needed 2 small or 1 large crate to place a FOB building (there was no separate HAB, the FOB building was the spawn point), as long as the FOB was placed within a specific distance of the crates. If you wanted to also place static weapons, you needed 2 more small crates or an additional large crate (2 small  = 1 large). There were no construction points, so as long as you had the specified number of crates you could build things, but there were global map limits on the amount of TOWs, mortars, etc you could have per team, and a limit of 6 FOBs per team (i think) across the entire map.

His question probably stems from the fact that requiring a logi within 30 meters of the SL to place a radio, is very similar to the way PR required supply crates to be close by before you could start building a FOB. But since crates are static once dropped and logis are mobile, it seems like the requirement is a bit artificial. I think the question makes sense. Maybe they are trying to make us get used to it, so that when they add helicopters we'll start having some form of supply crates again? It could be possible, since the entire purpose of a helicopter would be to get in, drop and get out (especially if the location is under fire), and not hover in place while you unload supplies gradually like we do now.

I think the best system would be a combination of what we have now and what we had then. Sure, let me load supplies in main like we currently do so i can customize the loadout (eg, half and half, or 1000 ammo and 500 construction, etc). The moment i start unloading, a crate should appear behind the logi, and i can still keep doing what we do now, adding or taking supplies from the FOB. Adding more than 3000 total supply points would then spawn a second crate. But i could also have the option to unload everything in one go, dumping all the supplies in a single crate. This will make it possible for helicopters to drop and get out, and it will also make it necessary to protect the crates, or destroy them if you are the attacker. Otherwise the enemy can retake the location and use the remaining supplies to rebuild their FOB.

Overall, it feels to me that the way everything disappears once you dig up the radio is a bit too artificial. The spawn should still be disabled until a new radio is placed and/or the HAB is cleared and repaired (depending on how they end up finalizing the mechanics, maybe we won't even have a radio at some point), but supplies and emplacements should not just magically disappear, it detracts from the immersion. Having crates to hold the supplies could create a more believable gameplay flow ("here are the supplies, let's guard/destroy them") and open up more tacticts (e.g., spreading supply crates around the radio so they don't all taken out at once) Maybe instead of a radius on the map around the radio, we could have a radius around the supply crates instead. Or maybe we could still have a radio and the supply crates would have to be placed within its radius, similar to what we have now. Think of it like ammo crates that you don't build, but are dropped by logis and helicopters.

I don't know, i'm just making assumptions here, but it does seem strange how they would suddenly require supplies in close proximity to place a radio. They must have a reason for that and i don't think it is done to prevent people spamming radios and messing up their overlapping ranges, since the majority of players in public matches don't really build that many FOBs. I suspect it could be something else, like a test of upcoming and new mechanics.

Makes it harder to place a sneaky radio. Seems a decent thing to test.

Allowing 2 man squads to make radios is interesting, not sure it is good but worth a test as well.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:50 PM, suds said:

Makes it harder to place a sneaky radio. Seems a decent thing to test.

Allowing 2 man squads to make radios is interesting, not sure it is good but worth a test as well.

Plus its one step closer to Tarantyco's wet dream of a single SL going around dropping FOB's right? lol

It kind of fixes problems with friendly FOB blocking. If the squad with the logi is the only one able to drop a radio, they won't be blocked by another SL "proactively" placing their preferred FOB. Since a radio requires supply to place anything anyway, this won't change the meta much while cutting down on that particular form of griefing.