Posted (edited)

Very refreshing to have a map like scorpo, but every map looks like a squad map because you only use one type of road, one type of dirt road, one type of grass, one type of soil, one type of tree,...

The placement is very generic, flowers will occur on a evenly spread and scaled number. You won't see a patch of a bit more flowers or less, it's very generic.

The grass density is also so tool made. if you can't do a more dense grass density then make places where there's no grass and places where there is grass, instead of dispersing to less grass over an entire map.

Hell let loose released early acces today, like they really took a look at vegetation, they did that really well.

I wish i could do some squad in such immersive terrain, because now the maps are the only thing holding back my immersion, the vegetation models as wel.

editing: the colours don't look good as well! you have the green grass the red barn the brown tree, no! the colours don't look good, it's like a  kids colour book, squad needs some atmosphere filter.

Edited by Pharanaiton

16 hours ago, Pharanaiton said:

now the maps are the only thing holding back my immersion, the vegetation models as wel.

Do you play wearing surplus cams, boots and a helmet as well?

Hand on the heart the only good maps are the newest ones and these are: Talil, Scorpo and Al-Basrah. Kohat and Yehorivka are also decent but nothing special like the other 3 new maps. Chora and Fools Road are absolutely horrible looking, and has very bad gameplay flow, it was nice to have them back in the day to test the game, but now I think its time to pick up the pace and create good maps.

Hell let loose is absolutely amazing looking, both in map asset models and map design. In HLL a trench is a trench and you can use it as such. In squad if there is a trench or bunker better be sure there will be a tree covering all view, or there will be no depression from trench so you can't use it as a shooting position

chora is always good

It took years for such game as hell let loose to get such amount of map detail, polish and logical placement of assets.... Oh wait nvm

10 minutes ago, paragonid said:

It took years for such game as hell let loose to get such amount of map detail, polish and logical placement of assets.... Oh wait nvm

Diaper Let Loose is barely even a functional game and has completely deviated from it's Kickstarter promises unlike Squad which has more or less stayed true to it's backers albeit taking way too long though. That said, it does look good but the maps are tiny in comparison to Squad.

1 hour ago, paragonid said:

HLL's maps are way smaller, and atm they have way less other things that they needed to work on. Their dev team just had different priorities than the Squad devs in the earliest stages.

Aren’t the devs reworking all of the current maps up until the end of alpha? That’s probably when the other maps will be brought to the levels of Skorpo or Talil.

4 hours ago, TheRubbaPelican said:

Aren’t the devs reworking all of the current maps up until the end of alpha? That’s probably when the other maps will be brought to the levels of Skorpo or Talil.

From what has been said, some maps are planned to have a redux at some point in the future. Then there's a possibility a map inspired by OPFL will be made. When will these happen? Unknown. We did see Kokan get a little update with v14, so it's a possibility small updates will be done overtime.

On 6/6/2019 at 12:41 PM, Pharanaiton said:

Very refreshing to have a map like scorpo, but every map looks like a squad map because you only use one type of road, one type of dirt road, one type of grass, one type of soil, one type of tree,...

The placement is very generic, flowers will occur on a evenly spread and scaled number. You won't see a patch of a bit more flowers or less, it's very generic.

The grass density is also so tool made. if you can't do a more dense grass density then make places where there's no grass and places where there is grass, instead of dispersing to less grass over an entire map.

Hell let loose released early acces today, like they really took a look at vegetation, they did that really well.

I wish i could do some squad in such immersive terrain, because now the maps are the only thing holding back my immersion, the vegetation models as wel.

editing: the colours don't look good as well! you have the green grass the red barn the brown tree, no! the colours don't look good, it's like a  kids colour book, squad needs some atmosphere filter.

UE4 is free to download plus there's tons of free landscape materials and foliage on the Epic Marketplace as well. Download it and give it a try and once you learn your way around the program you'll see how impractical and labor intensive it would be to place all the foliage and trees by hand across landscapes that are can be up to 64 square kilometers in size. Splat/Heat maps or whatever that auto generate grass across specific textures in your landscape material instance and also using procedurally generated foliage are the most practical and efficient methods plus they're multiplayer replication friendly as well.

i hope and think that all maps including Skorpo are missing the final polishing. For example houses in all maps are empty for now, there should be beds, tables, moving doors etc, grass and vegetation i hope fall under that.

8 hours ago, thebiglez said:

i hope and think that all maps including Skorpo are missing the final polishing. For example houses in all maps are empty for now, there should be beds, tables, moving doors etc, grass and vegetation i hope fall under that.

Curtains in all the windows on Al Basrah are first in the pipeline from what I heard.