Sign in to follow this  
Pluto is a planet

Russian Ground forces

RGF seems to be overlooked this patch too so here is a few suggestions to boost them:

Give them the RPG-29: There is no reason for not giving the RGF the RPG-29, at least as a gap filler for a better HAT. RGF have the least anti armor capability of all factions And if we can give the M3 to US as their HAT we can give the RPG-29 to RGF.

Give them the SVDM: Since the current weapon is called SVDM, why not just give them a real SVDM instead of pretending that the regular SVD is the SVDM? A new scope and a bipod would give the Russian marksman similar capability as the US/UK ones.

Give them that BMP: It seems like RGF are not going to get a BMP this patch either. So atleast give them the BMP-1. its better than nothing if the BMP-2 isnt done yet.

In the long run, i think we'll have a situation similar to Project Reality, where factions with Russian equipment had weaker infantry anti-tank options, but balanced it out with their vehicles carrying ATGMs. I remember that even insurgent factions often had early BMP versions with ATGMs. The US and UK were the opposite, they had less ATGM-capable vehicles but had better HAT options for their infantry.

I think this is the reason they are doing this, Russian equipped factions have a lot of anti-tank capability in their APCs/IFVs with guided missiles.

However, since these are not yet modeled in the game, i agree with giving them placeholder assets (e.g. the BMP-1) until the proper ones (BMP-2 or 3) are in the game.

I also agree with the marksman boost to make him as useful as the other factions.

Yeah giving the Russians the BMP-1 as a placeholder sounds perfect to me honestly, just a bit more firepower to spice them up. The BMP-2 is going to Russia, and will go to Militia once the BMP-2M is done afaik (not 100% sure, i read something like this on the discord).

Agreed with all your points. It seems especially odd that the BMP-1 wasn't given to Russia when they're still using the MTLB in game, which is even older than the BMP-1 and lacks the ATGM.

I've seen people suggest that the Russians should get either the Metis or RPG-28 as their long term HAT but the RPG-29 would be a better placeholder. The updated SVDM would definitely bring them up to par with the other conventionals and differentiate them from the irregulars.

My only worry when I see stuff like this is what will Militia/Inurgents get? The BMP-1 is a nice addition but it does seem like the only reason it hasn't been given to Russia is for a false sense of parity between the irregular and conventional factions.

The content arms race between the conventional factions is great for those match-ups but it does make the irregular factions feel like third class citizens who lack a sense of identity. A bit off topic here but I want to see more love for them, for instance, we've had the ZU-23 for a while now and it still lacks a scope rendering it pretty useless overall.

RPG-29 is also used by Russían forces so it wont even be a stretch to give it to them.

Irregulars are a bit harder to boost. But for example ATGM:s are relatively common among irregular groups nowadays so the irregulars could get either the TOW or the Kornet as an emplacement. But both groups relies more on unconventional tactics and mobility than firepower so their boost might be some other feature. 2 HABS per FOB for insurgents is one such thing. More mines and IED:s might be another.

Once the BMP-2 is in the game things will shift a bit. a 30mil with plenty of ammo and 2 Konkurs it will be very lethal, although less armored than a Bradley. I also hope that The Russian will see the benefits of the Mi-8's larger cargo capability compared to the Black hawk when the helos are coming.

ammo cache drops for irregular would make them very strong. eg a vic can drop a small ammo crate and drive away for use elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Pluto is a planet said:

RPG-29 is also used by Russían forces so it wont even be a stretch to give it to them.

I'm not an expert by any stretch but from what I've read from, mostly from actual Russian soldiers on here a while ago, but it's not really used by Russia.

Besides that it's something that should be left for the irregulars long term to give them a better sense of identity rather than being second rate Russian forces.

4 hours ago, suds said:

ammo cache drops for irregular would make them very strong. eg a vic can drop a small ammo crate and drive away for use elsewhere.

Features like that would be great. I'd love to see a fundamental difference in the way conventional and irregular forces operate in terms of the spawn and logistics systems.

Crate drops would probably have to be in the game at some point anyway, because of helicopters. Imagine having to hover/land and wait while you unload supplies like we do with a logi, with enemies around. It would be much more dangerous (helicopters are very visible/audible when stationary) and would semi-defeat the purpose of using them, so i guess they'll get a dropable crate.