Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 12:19 PM, Gatzby said:

I don't know that waging a campaign to hurt people is necessarily the best first step. Maybe try it out for a little bit, continue to offer your feedback, and see if the changes may have some unexpected results. It's easy to suspect the worst, but you may want to consider how this opens up more accessible communication for squadmates that can't always use a mic, may speak different languages, or just have a lot going on while they're leading a squad, firing downrange, cooking a grenade, and plotting the next advance. =)

They're never going to replace what a human voice could and should do and certainly don't convey more than basic tactical information.

Okay, here's some "try it out for a little bit" feedback for you ;-)  I've played numerous hours on Alpha 14, lost count how much but enough to form a good opinion.

Voice-Over speech commands:  I don't like them.  People who have mics keep pressing that stupid "Medic" button when they are dead, complete with the dumb voice overs sounding out.  I miss the fictitious groaning and dying sounds that people used to make.  I miss the other dumb things they would say that made me laugh as they yelled out for my medical assistance.  The pre-recorded voice over makes the game feel like a Battlefield kids game.  I also don't like at the beginning of the game how many people click on the speech commands and go bonkers with them.  It just feels like a solution in search of a problem that didn't exist.  Those peeps without mics are few and far between and providing this as an option for them sadly messes up the immersion of the game for everyone else.

Intro game play voice-over instructions:  I don't like them.  The entire thing makes it again feel like some type of kids game for the Nintendo Wii.

Outro music and graphic of winner/looser:  Again, yuck.  Another solution in search of a problem.  Everyone is just waiting for that graphic to go away so we can get to the score board.  It literally makes it feel like a single player game, not a multi-player.

Buddy Rally:  Hated it in 13, hate it still in 14.  Literally my most hated feature you've added.  I'm so tired of seeing an entire squad (or entire team even) teleport across a map and magically show up at the next forward objective with the goal to capture that objective before the enemy caps the defensive objective.  The other team is in turn also teleporting across the map with the same goal.  So now it seems we have less fighting and more sitting around in a cap zone hoping we can capture an empty objective quicker than the enemy can capture an empty objective.  I'm honestly not sure what problem you guys were trying to solve with this dumb buddy rally system, but it feels like a miss.  It feels like, whatever you were trying to solve, could perhaps be solved in a different manner.  If your entire squad gets wiped, and your rally gets squashed, you probably should be sent back to some way early point to try again, not be rewarded by hop-skipping over the enemy to the front of the line.  I remember the good ol days when poor decision making resulted in a good long run of the entire squad from main because all the vehicles were destroyed, no fobs were placed and your SL put the rally in a really dumb spot and he rushed forwarded ahead of the squad, died, everyone else died and then the rally got squashed.  Ahh, those were the days, but they are no more.  Now that dumb SL that rushed ahead of his squad and died first is rewarded with numerous buddy rally locations.  Perhaps his poor decision making was actually one of brilliance and we just didn't know it yet until the great teleporter from the sky reached down and swept us away.

Things I do like about Alpha 13/14:

- I like the changes you've made to the roles such as giving more binoculars, more scopes, engineer role etc.  I like that an engineer can clear vehicles on bridges and other little goodies.

- I LOVE that you can selective pick what you want from an ammo crate or ammo bag.  BRILLIANT!

- LOVE the changes to vehicles.  Love shooting out tires and love that you can repair them to get them moving again.  I'm a bit mixed on the ability to switch to the engineer role when you get to a vehicle so you can repair it.  I personally think, if you want to fix it, you needed to spawn in as an engineer and huff it across the map to get to the vehicle to fix it.  Perhaps things like fixing flat tires should be something anyone can do, but more slowly, sort of like bandages.

- I like the removal of the pings on the map.  That was just wayyyy too easy to tell your entire squad exactly where something was.

- Gappless razor wire rocks.  Before it served no purpose, but now it does.

- Ability for SL's to spin emplacements around, though I have yet to get this to work for some reason but when I do figure it out, it's gonna rock.

- Movement speeds:  No real preference.  I was good with the old slower, I'm good with the new faster.

- I like the generator sound on the vehicle repair station.

- FTL range finder removal.  Good move.

- Direction lines on map and other map goodies.  Love them.

You guys keep heading in the right direction minus a few changes that I just don't care for.  The buddy rally though... my word... it just needs to go.

Edited by 3S_Moe

1 hour ago, Zero Jodorowsky said:

The new voice commands are the most asinine thing I've ever seen in this type of game.

Call outs are pretty common since the beginning of the genre. An actual "Unarmed" role however isn't...

Posted (edited)

I agree, the opening and ending screens with the voiceovers before and after each match are pretty cheesy. The victory music also sounds way too generic. I also don’t get the point of voice commands. Oh well.

Edited by fatalsushi

20 hours ago, 3S_Moe said:

Okay, here's some "try it out for a little bit" feedback for you ;-)  I've played numerous hours on Alpha 14, lost count how much but enough to form a good opinion.

Voice-Over speech commands:  I don't like them.  People who have mics keep pressing that stupid "Medic" button when they are dead, complete with the dumb voice overs sounding out.  I miss the fictitious groaning and dying sounds that people used to make.  I miss the other dumb things they would say that made me laugh as they yelled out for my medical assistance.  The pre-recorded voice over makes the game feel like a Battlefield kids game.  I also don't like at the beginning of the game how many people click on the speech commands and go bonkers with them.  It just feels like a solution in search of a problem that didn't exist.  Those peeps without mics are few and far between and providing this as an option for them sadly messes up the immersion of the game for everyone else.

Intro game play voice-over instructions:  I don't like them.  The entire thing makes it again feel like some type of kids game for the Nintendo Wii.

Outro music and graphic of winner/looser:  Again, yuck.  Another solution in search of a problem.  Everyone is just waiting for that graphic to go away so we can get to the score board.  It literally makes it feel like a single player game, not a multi-player.

Buddy Rally:  Hated it in 13, hate it still in 14.  Literally my most hated feature you've added.  I'm so tired of seeing an entire squad (or entire team even) teleport across a map and magically show up at the next forward objective with the goal to capture that objective before the enemy caps the defensive objective.  The other team is in turn also teleporting across the map with the same goal.  So now it seems we have less fighting and more sitting around in a cap zone hoping we can capture an empty objective quicker than the enemy can capture an empty objective.  I'm honestly not sure what problem you guys were trying to solve with this dumb buddy rally system, but it feels like a miss.  It feels like, whatever you were trying to solve, could perhaps be solved in a different manner.  If your entire squad gets wiped, and your rally gets squashed, you probably should be sent back to some way early point to try again, not be rewarded by hop-skipping over the enemy to the front of the line.  I remember the good ol days when poor decision making resulted in a good long run of the entire squad from main because all the vehicles were destroyed, no fobs were placed and your SL put the rally in a really dumb spot and he rushed forwarded ahead of the squad, died, everyone else died and then the rally got squashed.  Ahh, those were the days, but they are no more.  Now that dumb SL that rushed ahead of his squad and died first is rewarded with numerous buddy rally locations.  Perhaps his poor decision making was actually one of brilliance and we just didn't know it yet until the great teleporter from the sky reached down and swept us away.

Things I do like about Alpha 13/14:

- I like the changes you've made to the roles such as giving more binoculars, more scopes, engineer role etc.  I like that an engineer can clear vehicles on bridges and other little goodies.

- I LOVE that you can selective pick what you want from an ammo crate or ammo bag.  BRILLIANT!

- LOVE the changes to vehicles.  Love shooting out tires and love that you can repair them to get them moving again.  I'm a bit mixed on the ability to switch to the engineer role when you get to a vehicle so you can repair it.  I personally think, if you want to fix it, you needed to spawn in as an engineer and huff it across the map to get to the vehicle to fix it.  Perhaps things like fixing flat tires should be something anyone can do, but more slowly, sort of like bandages.

- I like the removal of the pings on the map.  That was just wayyyy to easy to tell your entire squad exactly where something was.

- Gappless razor wire rocks.  Before it served no purpose, but now it dose.

- Ability for SL's to spin emplacements around, though I have yet to get this to work for some reason but when I do figure it out, it's gonna rock.

- Movement speeds:  No real preference.  I was good with the old slower, I'm good with the new faster.

- I like the generator sound on the vehicle repair station.

- FTL range finder removal.  Good move.

- Direction lines on map and other map goodies.  Love them.

You guys keep heading in the right direction minus a few changes that I just don't care for.  The buddy rally though... my word... it just needs to go.

That's fair! I really do appreciate the candid well-thought feedback. Thank you for keeping it constructive. =) Will pass it along to the rest of the team, if they haven't already seen it.

Posted (edited)

Nice patch. It's slowly starting to feel like a finished game.

Just need to smooth out those edges; buggy animations, buggy rag doll physics, buggy driving physics, strange lighting/shadows at times, maps still have too many floating objects/awkward empty spaces, etc.

Edited by IronComatose

22 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

I was a bit dissapointed about the QUESTIONS IN THE V14 SURVEY.

Yep, lackluster at best.

Stiil problems with the hit reg, ragdoll physics, vehicles are still flipping over small objects or even flat ground.

For the call-outs to be useful, some of them definitely need to have context-based modifications.  For example "Enemy over there." is useless since it doesn't give ANY of the bearing, range, or landmark information that you need.  But if the call-out at very least copied the player's heading and said "Enemy Northwest." it would at least approach something that contributes to teamwork.