Sign in to follow this  
MrSalty

Let's deal with these pet peeves

I've taken a long break from Squad, and recently started playing again a little over a weak ago. Since the last time I played and then there have been a lot of updates. Yet, everything practically remains the same. I've noticed no major changes. Is it just me or has (besides the supposed bug fixes that don't actually fix anything), this game become stagnant in development? 

Weapon customization. Why are we stuck with the preset loadouts? Honestly, when I choose a role it is more based on what the loadout is vs what I'm actually good at. There needs to be some form of customization. Yes, I agree that certain classes should be restricted to certain categories of guns, like a machine gunner shouldn't be able to have a sniper rifle and so forth, but perhaps add a variety of guns of similar category and allow a player to select what gun they get and what optics go on it.

Reloading needs to be faster, much faster. In the real world, there are two types, there's tactical, and then there is speed. Currently the game employs only tactical, but there needs to be speed reloading. When there isn't cover and the I need to reload, the wait is too long. A lot of my deaths happen during a wait for me to reload.

Also, swapping weapons is way too slow, especially going from primary to secondary. They use slings for a reason, not just to shoulder weapons, but to drop them on the chest and draw secondary. The animation needs to be faster. Seriously, you should hire some vets and give them gun props and watch them go through the notions of swapping between weapons and gear. You shouldn't have to cock or take your weapon off safety every time you swap either. And with LAT and HATs, why do they have to go through the process of readying an AT4 launcher every time you switch weapons? if you ready it once you shouldn't have to do it again. And with RPG's, we shouldn't have to go through the process of unloading it when stowing it unused...just doesn't make any sense.

Friendly name tags...well, IRL of course there would be no name tags that appear above your head (as of yet anyways) but this game has them and they aren't done very well. For one, if they're going to exist in the game they should be easier to read, and always be there, and not vanish when you look away. Sometimes at a distance a friendly looks like a hostile, and the name tags are way to slow at manifesting. Most of the time I get killed trying to IFF (because on some maps uniforms are too similar). Truth is I think a lot of players have come to rely on the name tags to IFF and results in too much friendly fire (don't say they should pay attention more to uniform, this crap is being enabled by the devs).

26 minutes ago, MrSalty said:

Friendly name tags...well, IRL of course there would be no name tags that appear above your head (as of yet anyways) but this game has them and they aren't done very well. For one, if they're going to exist in the game they should be easier to read, and always be there, and not vanish when you look away. Sometimes at a distance a friendly looks like a hostile, and the name tags are way to slow at manifesting. Most of the time I get killed trying to IFF (because on some maps uniforms are too similar). Truth is I think a lot of players have come to rely on the name tags to IFF and results in too much friendly fire (don't say they should pay attention more to uniform, this crap is being enabled by the devs).

so funny you mention it. I ll for removing nametags and making them like in PR. Game would become much more realistic. And just yesterday I tked somebody because I didnt check my map, only because I became to dependant on nametag and nametag didnt appear for some reason.

I suggest:

No nametags through walls.

No name tags over 80 mts.

Nametag delayed  beyond 50mts.

30 minutes ago, MrSalty said:

I've taken a long break from Squad, and recently started playing again a little over a weak ago. Since the last time I played and then there have been a lot of updates. Yet, everything practically remains the same. I've noticed no major changes. Is it just me or has (besides the supposed bug fixes that don't actually fix anything), this game become stagnant in development? 

Now on your other points. I have to say that the ones you suggest, with which I may agree, won´t change gameplay in general either. 

I guess the next BIG STEP in evolution of gameplay is going to be choppers. In the mean time game isn´t going to change much. And that is not a bad thing for me. 

Of course THEY HAVE TO REMOVE BUDDY RALLY!!!!!!!!!

With v13, it's main focus was upgrading to the new UE4.21, which came with a variety of tools to help identify and help with performance fixes(as we've seen work, since v13 has a noticeable performance increase both server & client side over v12) a long with additional content such at the T62, Engineer role, timed explosives, Destruction game mode, fog of war for RAAS, Skorpion machine pistol, track damage etc 

There's been an improvement to VFX and SFX as well.

There was never going to be a full blown customization system, only a "light" customization system where each role will be predefined with a set of options per role, and choosing specific loadouts will come with a trade off - Example being you choose an optic, you get less utility items. This could possibly expanded on in the future.

Reloading speeds are there to keep pacing of fire fight I believe, and to enforce smart decision making. In saying that, I wouldn't mind a quick panic reload, where a mag is dropped and you would only get full mag count back at rearming from a ammo crate.

Primary to secondary is actually spot on, IIRC OWI are going by MEU(SOC) pistol qualification parameters(2.5seconds) when it comes to transitioning from rifle to pistol. Currently the animations are 1.2 seconds & 1.3 seconds - A couple of versions ago they used to be 2.1 seconds. Also, OWI is full of veterans - British Army, Russian Army, Swedish Army, USMC and a dev who left not too long ago was a U.S Army Ranger. Motion capture was not only done by ex serviceman in OWI, but from veterans within the Squad community who were selected by OWI and flown to Canada to do motion capture.

Some transitions are a bit silly, but I believe they're being worked on. Example being the Grenade Launcher you used to have to reload a grenade every time you swapped to it, now within v13 it's persistent. Have to remember Squad is still in development and things like this will be ironed out over time.

My opinion on name tags are, they shouldn't be relied on too much :P 

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Thankfully you can basically turn name tags off completely now.

I would like it to be forced though. Running around a compund being careful not to kill my teammates against people who shoot at anything that moves that doesnt have a nametag is a HUGE disadvantage.

IFF would be a thing with no name tags and the pace of the game (and tactics) would turn a bit more realistic.

Double tap reload to drop the mag and reload faster would be cool.

Weapon switch speed seems fine as is. Most games are unrealistically fast, so it feels slow by comparison.

Sounds like they're working on keeping weapons loaded when they're switched out.

I'd love to see nametags removed beyond something like 50 m. Whatever range the average person can recognize a face (top Google search says 150 ft in good light). IFF at a distance can be achieved by uniform, situational awareness (map, gunfire, etc.), context and gamesense. 

Just wanna say OWI are obviously working hard. Quite a lot came with this and previous updates and it's not like they're a big AAA studio. 

18 hours ago, MrSalty said:

And with LAT and HATs, why do they have to go through the process of readying an AT4 launcher every time you switch weapons? if you ready it once you shouldn't have to do it again. And with RPG's, we shouldn't have to go through the process of unloading it when stowing it unused...just doesn't make any sense.

Because generally people dont run around with a hot weapon. Sights get snagged, people trip on rocks and shit and hit things, friendlies everywhere. 

The rpg 7 is muzzle loaded with the warhead outside the weapon. Its got a simple impact fuse and if you happen to knock it on things it'll go off.

9 hours ago, pinko said:

I'd love to see nametags removed beyond something like 50 m. Whatever range the average person can recognize a face (top Google search says 150 ft in good light). IFF at a distance can be achieved by uniform, situational awareness (map, gunfire, etc.), context and gamesense. 

I´m all in for no name tags (or name tag heavy reduction)

Still I admit there´s a problem with optimization, textures and pixelation yet. And that would make IFF by uniform (Specially regular armies) much harder now than in PR.

So I understand Why they´re still there. But I would love to hear what OWI´s plan is in the future regarding this.

i am also looking forward to some more emersion improvments. 

For example i would love to see better visual representation of some one getting shot. Not just a bit of blood, but more gore and maybe broken legs that would slow you down etc. 

More different character models. There are now only like 4 different faces on everyone in a team, things like that are easy to improve and help emersion al lot. 

Also more unbalanced team vehicle setups. For example now its always either each team has 2 tanks or zero tanks. I havent even seen the new tank in action. Why dont the militia and insurgents have more random and less predictable vehicle setups? 

Having more weapon options for most of the ingame factions would be really friggin unrealistic. Armies don't just have a pile of alternative weapons you can choose from lying in the armory. Possibly for militia or insurgents or god forbid they ever add a PMC faction. But conventional forces shouldn't have that kind of customisation because you get taught to work with the tools provided by the army, unless you're spec ops that is but this game ain't about spec ops.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:58 AM, thebiglez said:

i am also looking forward to some more emersion improvments. 

For example i would love to see better visual representation of some one getting shot. Not just a bit of blood, but more gore and maybe broken legs that would slow you down etc. 

More different character models. There are now only like 4 different faces on everyone in a team, things like that are easy to improve and help emersion al lot. 

Also more unbalanced team vehicle setups. For example now its always either each team has 2 tanks or zero tanks. I havent even seen the new tank in action. Why dont the militia and insurgents have more random and less predictable vehicle setups? 

Gore is a confirmed no

On 2019-05-19 at 5:13 AM, Nightingale87 said:

I´m all in for no name tags (or name tag heavy reduction)

Still I admit there´s a problem with optimization, textures and pixelation yet. And that would make IFF by uniform (Specially regular armies) much harder now than in PR.

So I understand Why they´re still there. But I would love to hear what OWI´s plan is in the future regarding this.

This. I can easily engage at over half a click in Arma 3 and various other shooters are at least clear if limited in assets or draw distance. In squad you can't even read the signs in the training range at an angle from 50m never mind identify enemies reliably past 150m