Sign in to follow this  
CaptCalvin

Dust?

In a lot of games tracers tend to be used to determine where one is getting shot from which is unrealistic as tracers aren't used in real life nearly to the abundance seen in these games and aren't as visible in day light. In real life especially in dusty environments like the Middle East soldiers tend to rely heavily on dust signatures to determine enemy location as most combatants tend to fire from prone/supported positions over long distances and I suspect this to be the case for players in this game as well. This puts the muzzle close to some surface and kick up dust as the weapon is fired. Is this a planned feature?

So it's a no go? I mean obviously trying to have actual physical dust particles being kicked up from the environment would be crazy but maybe approach the feature some other way? You might think this a novelty feature but in reality dust/muzzle signatures are huge huge elements in combat.

So it's a no go? I mean obviously trying to have actual physical dust particles being kicked up from the environment would be crazy but maybe approach the feature some other way? You might think this a novelty feature but in reality dust/muzzle signatures are huge huge elements in combat.

As of this moment in time, no go.

Speaking of dust and a little bit off topic, i'd like to see at some point in the game's dev a system where you have a certain % chance of a gun malfunction I.E failure to extract the casing or a double feed. I think that'd be an exciting mechanic in a game where it strives on being realistic, but maybe that's a little too much realism for what the devs what it to be.

Speaking of dust and a little bit off topic, i'd like to see at some point in the game's dev a system where you have a certain % chance of a gun malfunction I.E failure to extract the casing or a double feed. I think that'd be an exciting mechanic in a game where it strives on being realistic, but maybe that's a little too much realism for what the devs what it to be.

has been discussed, very very very very very very unlikely.

got to remember it needs to support 50v50 servers performances. if its 20v20 thats a bit better but still 

has been discussed, very very very very very very unlikely.

this may be the case but I can still hope and if its not in the game it's really not a deal or no deal for me. It'd just be "icing on the cake"

I suggested this back in January in this topic http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/587-muzzle-effects/  ...and I am sure I was not the first based on the responses.

Just curious as to your source for this information?  I can't imagine that they can do particles for bullets and smoke grenades but not be able to implement this at some point down the road.

#3 icon_share.png

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:22 PM

•  
They can do it in UE4. They decided not to. Performance issues. 

EDIT: I am also no programmer and don't know anything about game design. Nor does this feature make or break the game as said earlier. 

Ive also posted about more dust flyup when rounds hit walls and people ect ect.

Not really what we are discussing here, There is already dust kicked up when a bullet strikes the ground/walls , what this thread is about is dust being kicked up from where the bullet is fired if the muzzle of the gun is close to the ground when firing.

Makes me sad that in 2015 we still have so many technological limitations. Im 22, maybe in my lifetime I will be able to see 300vs300 player battles with no limitations graphically. A man can dream.

I personally love this idea. Sucks that it probably won't be a replacement for tracers due to limitations. 

Never know guys. This engine is getting better and better but right now its a bit heavy. We did try it.. a squad firing anywhere just becomes a total effects lag mess.