thebiglez

customization / ranking

Hi all,

What do you think about the customization and ranking in Squad?

I personally miss some kind of ranking so we would know who is really experienced and who is new. It would also make winning and playing in general more rewarding. 

For the customization i dont mean gun skins of course. But i would love the option to style your character a bit. Right now there are multiple different character faces and outfits, but they are random. Why not have the option to choose how your character would look like, it would not hurt emersion one bit.

Hello, i guess you are new here.

Duck and run :)

The biggest advantage of not having a ranking system is that it is less rewarding for players to cheat. There is little point of cheating if you dont gain anything by doing it.
Squad is also a game where your success depends a lot on other players so it is not really relevant with an individual ranking. Someone need to deliver the supplies so that you have enough ammo, someone has to build the HAB and someone need to revive you when you are down. (for example)
It is also better for the game if the players work together as a team to win instead of worrying for their ranking and trying to maximize their individual score.

43 minutes ago, Pluto is a planet said:

The biggest advantage of not having a ranking system is that it is less rewarding for players to cheat. There is little point of cheating if you dont gain anything by doing it.
Squad is also a game where your success depends a lot on other players so it is not really relevant with an individual ranking. Someone need to deliver the supplies so that you have enough ammo, someone has to build the HAB and someone need to revive you when you are down. (for example)
It is also better for the game if the players work together as a team to win instead of worrying for their ranking and trying to maximize their individual score.

agree

48 minutes ago, Pluto is a planet said:

Alte Ast we didn’t have some die hard screaming at the tread starter, the customization sounds like a good idea. Im always a black man (nothing wrong with that), I hope it will be considered closer to release

Ranking for console shooters is great but not for squad

this has been asked like 20 times before 

ranking is for kids who like skins and crap like that 

I’m glad to play a game that doesn’t have weapon unlocks ranking systems loot box’s screaming kids and 30 explosions ever second 

Im against ranking too, the only stat I need is my hours played on Steam :D. For customization, I don't really care, but if they do it, soldiers should still look like soldiers from the same unit, so same uniform, same camo, same weapon same everything, while also being able to distinguish certain roles, like the radio on the SLs back, medic should have a medic bag, etc. One "customization" idea that I had in mind is having a one smaller special forces squad in each team. Lets say one Squad of 6 people are SAS on the British side, Seals on US side, Specnaz on RU, and some other elite fighters on INS/Mil. They would have access to more gear and the customization would be more lenient, however I don't know to implement it correctly into the game, since this should be valuable, and the first come first served rule would ruin it IMHO, it should be reserved for the "elite" players.

About customization: back in the days of Rainbow Six - Raven Shield everyone could wear their own armpatch, which was pretty cool and helped to distinguish team members. They have been uploaded client to client at the beginning of each round. However I'm pretty sure nowadays there would be enough dumbasses running around with racist and fascism icons, so forget about this immediately.

Displaying the name of the soldier on the back of his uniform or helmet instead of the overlay when you are nearby however would be a nice touch.

However I think Squad has enough open todos to focus on, and customization isn't one of them.

39 minutes ago, Mauti said:

About customization: back in the days of Rainbow Six - Raven Shield everyone could wear their own armpatch, which was pretty cool and helped to distinguish team members. They have been uploaded client to client at the beginning of each round. However I'm pretty sure nowadays there would be enough dumbasses running around with racist and fascism icons, so forget about this immediately.

Displaying the name of the soldier on the back of his uniform or helmet instead of the overlay when you are nearby however would be a nice touch.

However I think Squad has enough open todos to focus on, and customization isn't one of them.

Not bad i like the idea with patches and stuff.Would look cool having your clans arm patch on your character and fellow players.

4 minutes ago, Bahrein said:

Not bad i like the idea with patches and stuff.Would look cool having your clans arm patch on your character and fellow players.

tbh with a simple arm patch, I wouldn't have any problems whatsoever. Would be I neat extension once we got the founder patch imo.

Posted (edited)

I partly like your thinking but I don't believe unlocking or any kind of reward should be given to anyone. I came from Counter-Strike 1.6 about 15 years ago... shit. 

When reward systems or unlocking was starting to be introduced to shooters (partly thanks to World of Warcraft), it was masking essentially the core values of a game and what you should actually be getting pleasure from. Problem with shooters today is that they are designed mostly for the short term and any kind of leveling or unlocking is a way to tap into our natural instinct to work for those rewards. Not necessarily enjoy the game for what it's worth. Squad does an amazing job of keeping people playing and with further improvements, I believe it will increasingly get popular.

Although I don't mind a symbol of sorts representing someones time spent as a quick reference to someone's experience. It has to do with absolutely nothing with rank though as some plonkers will actually think they, outrank someone.  

Edited by Quadro

19 hours ago, ZXD_Lee said:

Ranking for console shooters is great but not for squad

this has been asked like 20 times before 

ranking is for kids who like skins and crap like that 

I’m glad to play a game that doesn’t have weapon unlocks ranking systems loot box’s screaming kids and 30 explosions ever second 

ranks exist in the military

2 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

to serve a purpose of having someone in command... it is irrelevant to have a reward system based on rank because at some point 90% of the players will be the same rank...

Just now, embecmom said:

to serve a purpose of having someone in command... it is irrelevant to have a reward system based on rank because at some point 90% of the players will be the same rank...

Exactly.

27 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

So does boots not fitting being home sick actually getting dead and losing limbs but this is a game on the pc it’s not real 

58 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

So do flag draped coffins coming home on C-130's and serviceman at Walter Reed learning how to walk again with no legs. What's your point?

8 hours ago, embecmom said:

there are command roles in Squad

8 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

And those already have a rank shown next to their name.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

THey are solely based on the trust of the squad and the will to have fun. If you don´t like your squad lead in the game, yo change squads, or you can even shoot him in the head. 

Edited by Nightingale87

21 hours ago, Font said:

Im against ranking too, the only stat I need is my hours played on Steam :D. For customization, I don't really care, but if they do it, soldiers should still look like soldiers from the same unit, so same uniform, same camo, same weapon same everything, while also being able to distinguish certain roles, like the radio on the SLs back, medic should have a medic bag, etc. One "customization" idea that I had in mind is having a one smaller special forces squad in each team. Lets say one Squad of 6 people are SAS on the British side, Seals on US side, Specnaz on RU, and some other elite fighters on INS/Mil. They would have access to more gear and the customization would be more lenient, however I don't know to implement it correctly into the game, since this should be valuable, and the first come first served rule would ruin it IMHO, it should be reserved for the "elite" players.

I agree of course. My idea is that it would be the same as now, except that now the outfits and faces are random. It would be more relevant for militia for example, since there are more different outfits. 

The armpatches sound like a great idea to me. And also for the ranking, maybe just give the same amount of experience to all the players in the winning team. That would actually promote teamwork i think. 

Last but for sure not least, all this would promote the game with a more wide audience. I dont mean the CoD kids of course, but i guess most people would enjoy some kind of reward for a good game, and customizing their character even just a bit.

But you keep forgetting that the reward for a good game in Squad is actually having a good game and enjoying your time playing it.

Rising 2 storm vietnam has a nice and detailed customisation system. Just a shame it's locked behind ****in hours of playtime and paywalls. Like if it fits in the game and doesn't make you look like an enemy or some idiot in a clown suit i'm not that against. But locking it behind arbitrary amounts of playtime or paywalls or just making you look like some guy straight out of saints row is a big no from me. Also ranks in games just tell you how much time you wasted on it. There is no worth to it, as people in actual positions to have a "rank" such as squadleads could just be named sergeants or whatever with every first of second squad having a lieutenant if you feelin fancy but it doesn't add much to the actual game apart from some extra fluff that people can be pissed off about people not using properly.

Posted (edited)
On 16/05/2019 at 11:26 PM, Hotpokkaminny said:

there is a command role. what you want is everyone to be the same rank because...rank...

Edited by embecmom