Sign in to follow this  
Hotpokkaminny

Game bloat and the need to remove content

With the devs and community constantly looking forward to the next update, things have been left behind. Squad is starting to get bloated and it's only going to get worse, it's time the devs think about removing content. While usually I make flippant, low effort shitposts, I'm 100% serious about this and think this will eventually make or break the game. This is a problem that Battlefield 1 and 5 have suffered from heavily, games with far larger player bases than Squad.

We currently have 14 maps, soon to be 16, 6 game modes, soon to be 7, and on top of all of that multiple layouts. I don't know exactly which maps have which game modes and layouts, but all of this combined is easily 50+ possible match ups, realistically this number is probably closer to 100. At first this was a great system, but now that we have more content it is no longer helping the game. With a rough average game time of 1 hour, this is 50-100 hours to experience everything the game has to offer and of course this assumed no repeats (which simply won't happen) so you're looking at closer to 300 hours. There are only 2000-3000 playing Squad at one and given the niche appeal of this game, it won't ever be much higher, again speaking realistically due to regions there will only actually be 1-3 servers that are playable at any one time.

So what are the negative effects of this? First off it makes it impossible for the devs to actually balance every possible combination and slows down the balancing process. It also splits the player base, 7 game modes sounds great until you realise you'll rarely get a chance to play some of them. This further compounds the balancing problem as the combinations that are rarely played won't give the devs enough data to work with when it comes to balancing. This also means the devs have less time to focus on new factions, weapons, roles etc. as their time is taken up with having to constantly and somewhat blindly tweaking maps and game modes. This means there is at best a muddled core game and at worst none at all, there's a lack of iconic, memorable moments and it makes it harder for new players to get in as the meta takes hundreds of hours to learn.

Thankfully, it should be reasonably easy to solve but it would require content to be removed, below are my (rough) suggestions:

Maps:

- All future maps should be designed with 1 or 2 game modes in mind

- All current maps should be reworked with this formula

- Maps should be either symmetrical (AAS/RAAS) or asymmetrical (anything attack/defend) in mind, of course there can be exceptions

- Al Basrah and Kokan (and Fallujah when it comes out) should be asymmetrical only

- Kohat and Chora should be symmetrical only

- Kamdesh should be outright removed, maybe Kohat too

Game modes:

- While everyone likes the idea of new game modes, there are too many, while the game is in early access testing them out is fine but once 1.0 comes out there should be 3-5 absolute max

- Destruction and random Invasion should be the first to go, I know they're new but they're sort of just the halfway point between INS and Invasion and don't serve a purpose

- AAS layouts should be removed, RAAS has made different layouts irrelevant, devs should decide on one layout for each map

- Insurgent faction should not be in AAS, Militia is ok but should be avoided

- Territory Control honestly doesn't seem very good, try it but don't get too attached

Obviously these are very rough and untested, but these are the types of choices that the devs need to think about, sooner rather than later.

tl; dr: There should be less map layouts and game modes so the developers can focus on crafting a core experience, balancing existing layouts and adding the content people want.

Getting rid of content that creative people worked hard on like layers, game modes and entire maps is not only illogical but its contrary to what most consumers of this genre prefer. Case in point, go check out the results of a recent player survey done by the developers of a somewhat similar game called Insurgency: Sandstorm and you'll see the number one overwhelming suggestion was more maps. Imagine that?

Somethings bloated here but it certainly isn't Squad.

58 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Getting rid of content that creative people worked hard on like layers, game modes and entire maps is not only illogical but its contrary to what most consumers of this genre prefer. Case in point, go check out the results of a recent player survey done by the developers of a somewhat similar game called Insurgency: Sandstorm and you'll see the number one overwhelming suggestion was more maps. Imagine that?

Somethings bloated here but it certainly isn't Squad.

Of course it has to be you that completely misses the point. It doesn't matter if people worked hard on it if it isn't good or a better alternative exists. The devs in the past already have removed maps and layers and game modes so they clearly aren't against it. This game is not Sandstorm, Sandstorm only has 5 (small) maps which is why people want more. If you had even basic reading comprehension skills you'd realise I already said that multiple layouts help out the game at first when there is a lack of maps. We're passed that point in Squad, we have 14 maps which is more than most AAA shooters have at launch, maps that are huge and varied. I'm not suggesting we end up with overall less maps (20 is probably the sweet spot), I'm saying we should only end up with the best and we have a balance between those maps in regards to game modes and layouts.

I don't even know what you're trying to imply with that last sentence, that I'm bloated? Got me.

Just want to reiterate how grateful I am that you're nowhere near the development of this game.

Edited by Hotpokkaminny