Gatzby

Alpha 13.1 Released

Hey soldiers!

We’ve got a small update to address some of the more pernicious issues in Alpha 13. Check out the changes:

ALPHA 13.1 CHANGELOG

• Fixed stabilization for vehicles.
  • Fixed a regression in the engine causing vehicles to flip more easily.
  • Fixed a client and server crash on destruction of the 30mm MTLB variant via TOW or HAT.
  • Fixed an engine crash that happened if required files to play the introduction movie were missing.
  • Fixed RCON on Linux servers.

OFFWORLD OUT.

Good to see a quick turnaround to fix some fundamental stability issues with the game.

Nerd mode: Love the use of pernicious "having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way." Would have hoped for a few extra changelog entries relating to non-insta death on revive and buddy rally. Seeing as suppression and sway got nerfed in 12.1 with minimal feedback. {end cynicism}

I really like and play Squad from v0,3. I really like THIS game. It's THE game for me. But just one anyoing thing has to be mentioned:

Kick steam's ass in order to make the patch downloads faster. 5min time for 20mb download is rediculous!!!!1111eleven

I didn't see buddy rally fix or the insta-death fixes??  You know, the fix where you remove the one and give us back the other?

9 minutes ago, 3S_Moe said:

I didn't see buddy rally fix or the insta-death fixes??  You know, the fix where you remove the one and give us back the other?

+1

And LOL!!!!

Hotfix?!? Niceee! Glad to see things getting fixed! Keep up the good work!

Hey Gatzby - any news on map updates etc.? I am somewhat disappointed in the speed of developments in this area, I suppose. I know engine changes have meant a lot, but it's still a little hard to understand what feels like a somewhat glacial pace here!

cant seem to get passed question 3 in the survey keeps asking if I want to leave when clicking next... 

Posted (edited)

Guys, they’re doing a survey about the new movement, buddy rally, and removal of insta-death. Check out the link posted in reddit and fill out the survey!

Edited by fatalsushi

In my opinion:

movement speed: increased movement speed was needed, considering with how big the maps are. It is boring to walk for long periods of time, especially how easy it is to die in this game (which I enjoy).

What I would do differently:

Movement speed:

Take current v13 movement speed but make these tweaks:

If player has not been involves in any combat related action (examples: fire weapon,  take fire/get supressed, sprint) then their run speed is increased.  Once a combat action is peformed then the run speed is reduced down to around v12 speed.

Reasoning:  

Increased run speed before combat reduces thoughts of playing a boring running simulator.  Players can navigate the map easier. 

Decreased run speed once combat has started turns the gane more into a tactical shooter and away from feeling like a run and gun arcade-like game (for example, battlefield).

Best of both worlds.

Insta-death:

Ideally, I'd like the system to ge more like PUBG. I do not mind unlimited revives, as long as there is counter play to it.

Make it so that we can finisn people off so that they can't be revived.

Or

Make it so that they have more handicaps. Make them a lot less combat efficient if just picked up by a non-medic. Add a bunch of weapon spray, make the sway unbearable if ADS in any position but prone. Make it so that they are draining blood until they see a medic, the more severe injuries,  which led to a temporary death,  should not be fully healed by some guy with minimal training in SABC. 

Reasoning: 

Meat grinding isn't fun. Taking out 7 of 9 squad members again and again and again, but not being able to stop their long range pop shots without having to go to their location is not fun or realistic.  If I shot a guy enough times that he temporarily died a few times,  there is no way he is picking up a weapon and shooting any type of accurate rounds at me. At most this guy is just doing really shity suppressing fire. Adding more handicaps makes it so you are rewarded for winning the engagement and punished for losing the engagement, which makes engagements have actual purpose. Right now it is meaningless to kill people unless you can wipe the whole area.

Currently no opinion on buddy rally.

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2019 at 11:35 AM, Thr34t said:

[etc]

Movement speed:

Take current v13 movement speed but make these tweaks:

If player has not been involves in any combat related action (examples: fire weapon,  take fire/get supressed, sprint) then their run speed is increased.  Once a combat action is peformed then the run speed is reduced down to around v12 speed.

[etc]

I'd strongly, strongly disagree with this change for two reasons.

1. This what vehicles are for.  Lifting and moving troops across large distances.  People who 2-man APCs like a minitank are just doing a disservice to the team when they could be doing the actual job of an Armored Personnel Carrier.  We have the solution to the long-jog problem already.  We just need to convince people to use it, either through better training or design.

2. This will add a huge pile of frustrating gamey interactions, like crippling enemies by shooting somewhere near them before going for a kill shot. Or the screaming maniac with a knife scenario where you can avoid taking the speed penalty by rushing into combat without technically taking a combat action.

All around I'm disappointed to see Buddy Rally and CoD movement still in the new version.

Edited by Skidborg

The real problem of 10% more speed and feeling SL asking to sprint zigzag when crossing open areas ... these mechanics should not exist in a game like Squad.

Now instead with the new speed it has become a must to zigzag sprint avoiding bullets ... I've seen people sprinting in a zigzag and jumping. Obscene. There is nothing to do ... the new speed brings much more Lone Wolfing and less cohesion.

And to think that months ago in an AMA there was talk of having reactions to the bullets suffered ... maybe with reduction stamina, speed, more recoil etc.. now, with the v13, we find ourselves in the diametrically opposite direction, where the soldier without inertia runs in all directions instantly.

Since the Devs do not give us an explanation on the type of game they want, I personally hope for a reduction in speed (maybe try with 5-7%?) And above all the return to more "real" transitions - inertia - "momentum ".

Remember to fill out the survey guys. It’s just as important as complaining on the forums :P

On 5/15/2019 at 1:13 PM, 3S_Moe said:

Heh, going by survey results, you may want to start getting ready to be in the minority that thinks that would be a fix.

44 minutes ago, Gatzby said:

Heh, going by survey results, you may want to start getting ready to be in the minority that thinks that would be a fix.

The problem is the same you see in all online games. A vocal and frustrated minority stands out more than the silent but happy majority. 

I honestly find it hard to believe these are considered improvements. Each to their own, but while these changes might be 'fine' I'm.. a bit lost on it. I understand commercial imperatives etc but I do agree that squad sits in a fairly unique space and it would be a huge shame to dilute that too much. Populism isn't often the key to good creation, even if it's a good way to ensure money. 

1 hour ago, Thr34t said:

The problem is the same you see in all online games. A vocal and frustrated minority stands out more than the silent but happy majority. 

Yeah, definitely. That's a large motivation behind getting surveys into the game itself, as well as the community roundtables, our presence on the forums, reddit, Facebook. We even utilize support tickets to get a feel for where people are having issues or major frustrations. Not to mention the data we get from gameplay/testing itself, which we always want more of. ;)

Basically, the more the merrier -- just helps to remember that loudness isn't the /only/ factor, hehe.

with the latest updates do not stop having problems, I opened a thread about it

Did something happen to you?

5 hours ago, Gatzby said:

It’s ok. The loud minority has the “owi is catering to the masses and changing squad into an arcade game to sell more copies” argument ready :P

The thing is, it's hard to argue against that. It's business, in the end, and made for that purpose rather than solely as a labour of love that could afford to aim for a specific vision without any commercial aims or requirements - as PR was. It's something I lament, but can't argue against. Nevertheless, I genuinely don't understand the buddy rally thing at all - but if I'm the minority, what can be done? It's no different in politics. The mass of a vote is in no way a reliable indicator of what is best - but it does indicate what's popular, and in some situations that's the bottom line.

17 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

It’s ok. The loud minority has the “owi is catering to the masses and changing squad into an arcade game to sell more copies” argument ready :P

Yeah, don't worry, we're prepared for the usual swing to

- OWI hates comp

- OWI hates milsim

- OWI has Russian bias

- OWI has USA bias

- OWI has too many rivets

- Three weeks

=)

All opinions are valid, but that also means everyone has their own. =P

I'd hope anyone that feels that passionately about their favorite era in Squad takes a similar approach to SWC by incorporating what they love into their own mod. Arcade or simulation, we're never going to be the perfect game to everyone, but hopefully we can help people find or make theirs.

@GatzbyI think the community already went through the rivet-counting phase and you guys did a great job balancing vehicles/infantry in v13 so I think you can at least shorten the list a bit.

And I have to agree that since you guys are providing modding tools, there’s really no reason to complain if the game changes in an unexpected way.

Edited by fatalsushi

Actually, I'd be very interested in seeing what the survey results would be sorted by players who squad lead vs. players who squad follow. I feel like the new changes have hamstrung a lot of the strategic power of smart leadership in favor of making sure the every player has plenty to shoot at even if their squad lead sucks.  

Immediately rewarding but shallow gameplay is a good way to capture the passing interest of a new player, but the vast majority of those new players are going to move on to the next shiny, complete game that crosses their Steam recommended list all the same.  And so are the dedicated players hoping for a deeper experience, if they find themselves standing in a inconsistently designed kiddie pool.

There are a lot of good design ideas that could replace the buddy rally system floating in the suggestion forums right now.  Making transport vehicles readily available at main base in case of a rally/spawn wipe is my personal favorite, since it gets a squad back to the front lines in a reasonable window (and faster if pushed back to main), promotes far more interestingly placed new spawns, and still gives the squad who succeeded in removing the enemy spawns a solid strategic reward for securing the area.  Being completely out of vehicles at main is the only time I felt real frustration with the V12 spawning mechanics, and that would be the happy medium for me.

Edited by Skidborg