awegh

Players who consistently get more kills than deaths as infantry: how do you do it?

Posted (edited)

Always feels like we're getting killed by somebody we can never see and yet you seem to be the one who always kills me.

How do you do it?

Edited by awegh

I lost #3 to age or lack of play time :/

1. Map and game familiarity 

2. Positioning during firefight (the stationary person usually wins against the one who was moving and has to stop to engage)

3. Highly accurate FPS skills 

3 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

2. Positioning during firefight (the stationary person usually wins against the one who was moving and has to stop to engage)

Do they really, though? I feel like I lose 75% of those 1-on-1 situations where someone sprints around a corner at me.

6 minutes ago, awegh said:

Do they really, though? I feel like I lose 75% of those 1-on-1 situations where someone sprints around a corner at me.

Sorry your initial post seemed to indicate fights that were not cqb but mid  range where you were getting killed without really knowing where from. The cqb stuff is more about twitch reflexes and pre-firing if someone is known or expected around a corner... Don't have much good advice for that stuff 

I feel the same way a lot of times. I found turning shadows off improved my game in terms of random deaths. I personally believe slowing down and concentrating on each individual shot rather than firing 2 - 3 shots in hope helped me.

It's mainly experience. Learning each map and absorbing information on
- Where common FOB locations are
- Where common places people like to place rally points
- What places are high traffic points or flank routs

Then there's developing your situational awareness by not only keeping the above in mind, but also paying attention to gun and explosion sounds & where they are from, listening out for footsteps and using these to pin point where enemy are and think where they most likely will be or heading. Constantly checking the map for markers is good too, helps you get an idea of where the enemy might be moving next.  Also try to pay attention to local chat and you'll pick up info on the fly, or you can simply just ask people :P

Watching enemy movements, for example; if you keep seeing 3 or 4 guys coming from the same direction - It's most likely they have a rally somewhere out there. If you see a lot of enemy streaming from a direction, then it's most likely a FOB location. Then you can position yourself around their rout.

Other aspects are simply learning when to shoot and when not too, a lot of people instantly shoot at the first guy they see, even if the enemy hasn't seen them, then die to his buddy. Sometimes it's advantageous to wait for a moment to get a bigger picture. On top of this, try get into the habit of never sitting in the same spot too long after exposing your position, shoot n scoot.

Never just face forward and sprint, constantly checking your surroundings will save your ass. A lot of people get into tunnel vision mode and just focus on what's in-front of them. It's a really bad habit.

One of the biggest things is, avoiding being apart of the blob. You know, the giant concentration of Squads all blobbed together pushing from the same direction?, yeh that. Avoid being apart of that and maintain a distance/spread so your chances of all dying to the same person reduces.

Being a good shot only takes you so far in any FPS game. Game knowledge, situational awareness, positioning and communication development are just as important.

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I feel the same way a lot of times. I found turning shadows off improved my game in terms of random deaths. I personally believe slowing down and concentrating on each individual shot rather than firing 2 - 3 shots in hope helped me.

Isn´t that like cheating???

Actually, having shadows on might help depending on the situation. You might be able to see the enemies shadow before he comes around the corner.

For some turning shadow off is the difference between 40 fps and 20 fps. A setting that's been put in by the devs can hardly be called cheating.

2 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

Isn´t that like cheating???

Not whilst you can do it. Most people do from what I gather. I also see 20 - 30+ fps increase which I need. Hopefully one day the game will be further optimised and shadows forced on.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Not whilst you can do it. Most people do from what I gather. I also see 20 - 30+ fps increase which I need. Hopefully one day the game will be further optimised and shadows forced on.

If it´s because of FPS I understand. Only if you were getting lower than 40 before turning shadows off.

Now. From what you gather…."most people"? well...that´s just sad. The fact that many people do it doesn´t mean it´s not cheating.

And last thing. "Whilst u can do it" it´s not cheating, but if you couldn´t do it then...it wouldnt be a problem.

If it pleases u, let´s not call it cheating, let´s call it "an advantage over other people (People who could also do it but want a more challenging/more immersive/realistic experience)"

5 hours ago, Jevski said:

Actually, having shadows on might help depending on the situation. You might be able to see the enemies shadow before he comes around the corner.

For some turning shadow off is the difference between 40 fps and 20 fps. A setting that's been put in by the devs can hardly be called cheating.

I understan that the setting is there for lower end computers to be able to perform well enough. Being in Alpha, and trying to sell copies, that´s more of a comercial setting than a gameplay setting.

Nevertheless. Each of us know if you´re doing it for your Frames or for an advantage. It´s your game and your concience. Upt to you.

Final note: He didn´t post this on a performance thread. He did it on a gamplay/ advice for improving and winning more fire fights kind of thread, that lets one asume things.

Edited by Nightingale87

Your assumtion could be wrong. He could be losing the fights because of low fps.

With your line of thinking, anyone who would play this on a 52" 4k monitor would be cheating then, since they get an advantage.

Cheating has always been defined as doing something thats not in the game. Ie. glitching, using secondary software etc. Its has never been defined as something thats part of the game and that the DEVS intended to be used.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Jevski said:

Your assumtion could be wrong. He could be losing the fights because of low fps.

With your line of thinking, anyone who would play this on a 52" 4k monitor would be cheating then, since they get an advantage.

Cheating has always been defined as doing something thats not in the game. Ie. glitching, using secondary software etc. Its has never been defined as something thats part of the game and that the DEVS intended to be used.

1- Yes it could be wrong. But on one hand I said that I understand if it was because Frames, and on the other hand, the fact that he posted it on a thread regarding kills NOT PERFORMANCE suggests a lot. Of course the guy with the smoking gun can be innocent.

2- I didn´t say that was my definition of cheating. I literally said that we can call it something different and I have no problem with that.

3- If you read again I said and advantage that other players could be using but decide not too because of a more immersive / challenging / fun experience. If somebody doesn´t have a 4k 52`` monitor, then they cannot use it.

4- There is a (popular and very good) server in which it´s against the rules to heal somebody through walls. They call it glitching. So, they asume the devs didn´t intend it to be like that and it´s against the rules. Now, on that line of thought, one could also argue that the absolute lack of Grass and shadows on one monitor for one player and a very difficult realistic environment clutered with things is not what the devs intended either.

In some games some players switch teams and provide crucial info to their new team. They use info they shouldnt know. I don´t think it´s intended to be done like that, yet, nothing prevents you from doing it. Is that cheating?

Anyway, that´s just some technicallities. I Will continue to play the way I do and having fun. I suggest everybody do the same. Whether or not devs should set a fixed mínimum of Grass and shadow has been discussed in other threads. I aint gonna discuss this further.

Edited by Nightingale87

Hi @awegh,

it's probably only experience so don't give up yet. In 1-on-1 situations choose your fire mode wisely. In close quarters you might wanna use automatic instead of single shot. Also try to aim at the upper corse so your 2nd or 3rd hit is a headshot for sure.

Once you are confident move your aim up. 

Always use headphone. The sound in Squad is not perfect but can truly give you an extra sense when someone is coming and what he is doing like crouching,  running, bandaging, reloading…

Last but not least how many hours of Squad do you have on the clock?

No matter what you will become better for sure.

Bye,

Mauti

2 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

1- Yes it could be wrong. But on one hand I said that I understand if it was because Frames, and on the other hand, the fact that he posted it on a thread regarding kills NOT PERFORMANCE suggests a lot. Of course the guy with the smoking gun can be innocent.

2- I didn´t say that was my definition of cheating. I literally said that we can call it something different and I have no problem with that.

3- If you read again I said and advantage that other players could be using but decide not too because of a more immersive / challenging / fun experience. If somebody doesn´t have a 4k 52`` monitor, then they cannot use it.

4- There is a (popular and very good) server in which it´s against the rules to heal somebody through walls. They call it glitching. So, they asume the devs didn´t intend it to be like that and it´s against the rules. Now, on that line of thought, one could also argue that the absolute lack of Grass and shadows on one monitor for one player and a very difficult realistic environment clutered with things is not what the devs intended either.

In some games some players switch teams and provide crucial info to their new team. They use info they shouldnt know. I don´t think it´s intended to be done like that, yet, nothing prevents you from doing it. Is that cheating?

Anyway, that´s just some technicallities. I Will continue to play the way I do and having fun. I suggest everybody do the same. Whether or not devs should set a fixed mínimum of Grass and shadow has been discussed in other threads. I aint gonna discuss this further.

Having shadows set to low is not a form of cheating. Irrespective of whether you are doing it for performance or not. That's like saying anyone who has a quick connection or high end machine is cheating.

Secondly, I didn't create this thread so I have no say about what category it's in. 

Back on topic for OP please.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, infamousplayer said:

(mestia , gorodok , yehorivka) sometimes a person can lie in the grass with his head in the grass, 5 meters away, we can see the bag a little bit, it is almost invisible because of the update of camouflage V12, it should not be possible to have your head sunk into the ground and see the other players.
the camouflage is too much

Edited by infamousplayer

2 hours ago, infamousplayer said:

(mestia , gorodok , yehorivka) sometimes a person can lie in the grass with his head in the grass, 5 meters away, we can see the bag a little bit, it is almost invisible because of the update of camouflage V12, it should not be possible to have your head sunk into the ground and see the other players.
the camouflage is too much

I love the fact camouflage actually works in game but I don't generally have that level of difficulty spotting enemies.

Something you might need to do is sit still yourself to try and spot enemy. The human eye is fantastic at picking up on movement, but if you're swinging your camera around you won't be able to do that.

patience is the main reason for me. When you get to nice position where you can expect enemies, find a good spot and wait for like 3 minutes. Dons just run from one position to another and just check if you can see the enemies. 

Also when you see someone wait for a bit to see if someone else will come behind him, that way you can kill both of them. 

45 minutes ago, Stom said:

The human eye is fantastic at picking up on movement, but if you're swinging your camera around you won't be able to do that.

thats very true.

works the other way too. spotting someone camoflagued not moving is much harder.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Stom said:

I love the fact camouflage actually works in game but I don't generally have that level of difficulty spotting enemies.

Something you might need to do is sit still yourself to try and spot enemy. The human eye is fantastic at picking up on movement, but if you're swinging your camera around you won't be able to do that.

No, the problem is that the camouflage is too strong, actually a person in 20 centimeters grass is quickly spotted at a distance of 5 -  20 meters with or without movement, but the grass now is a green curtain, which covers the players like a blanket, this which is not at all realistic, and even less camouflage, especially that the player has his head in the ground, and therefore can see normaly nothing

when the player is standing, the grass comes to his ankles, when he is lying there is practically under the ground.

I think we have to find a compromise between the V11 and the V12-13 on camouflage

Edited by infamousplayer

On 5/12/2019 at 2:23 AM, Dubs said:

It's mainly experience. Learning each map and absorbing information on
- Where common FOB locations are
- Where common places people like to place rally points
- What places are high traffic points or flank routes

Thanks for all of the responses in this thread! Could you open up some of the maps in MS Paint and share your wisdom about where these common FOB locations, rally point locations, high traffic points, etc are so that the rest of us can benefit from your experiences?

5 hours ago, infamousplayer said:

No, the problem is that the camouflage is too strong, actually a person in 20 centimeters grass is quickly spotted at a distance of 5 -  20 meters with or without movement, but the grass now is a green curtain, which covers the players like a blanket, this which is not at all realistic, and even less camouflage, especially that the player has his head in the ground, and therefore can see normaly nothing

when the player is standing, the grass comes to his ankles, when he is lying there is practically under the ground.

I think we have to find a compromise between the V11 and the V12-13 on camouflage

Honestly, you seem to be the only person who has an issue with the current camouflage, it's not a complaint I've seen from anyone else.

In reality you can sit still and not get spotted by someone until they're on top of you in the right circumstances and I've personally seen a fairly good reflection of that in game.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, infamousplayer said:

No, the problem is that the camouflage is too strong, actually a person in 20 centimeters grass is quickly spotted at a distance of 5 -  20 meters with or without movement

you are underestimating camoflague. or maybe that your brain plays tricks on you with the information given to you. it makes a lot of difference if the (camouflaged) object is moving or not. has something to do with tunnel vision and peripheral vision which can be trained to a degree.

Edited by gshAT

Might I suggest that you slow down, try and work on your surviving. Running around trying to get kills gets you killed.

Thinking about your positions will help, work with your squad mates and keep close to the medic. Having a full health will increase your chances of wining in a shoot out. Full fatigue will have you better accuracy and improve your odds.  Look for cover and not just concealment something that reduces your target size will make it harder for you to be shot.   just a couple of points 

Actually I am impressed with the way camouflage works in Squad, it is very realistic. In most other games camo does not work because the player models stand out too much from the terrain, but Squad does a pretty realistic job at it. As many have said, a moving object is very easy to spot compared to a stationary object and working as a squad, you should make sure you have people looking in every direction otherwise you're waiting to get mowed down.