awegh

Players who consistently get more kills than deaths as infantry: how do you do it?

Situational awareness is probably the most important thing alongside quick and concise shooting.

I hate to say this but also a good computer helps. In my competitive days I was obsessed with having a good ping and great FPS. Having the edge naturally gives you the upper hand. 

One good survival tip if you are in a good position: Use free look to spot enemies and don't look around with your gun this will give up your position much easier to the enemy.

The perfect thing about Squad it isn't all about twitch skills. Positioning, flanking, situational awareness as @Quadro said, give you the upper hand in most confrontations.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:36 PM, awegh said:

Always feels like we're getting killed by somebody we can never see and yet you seem to be the one who always kills me.

How do you do it?

Not sound like a toxic snob, but the number 1 thing is... Play more. As a squad lead, lead your squad directly at the front and stay with them.

On 14/05/2019 at 6:42 PM, Quadro said:

I hate to say this but also a good computer helps. In my competitive days I was obsessed with having a good ping and great FPS. Having the edge naturally gives you the upper hand. 

That would probably be considered cheating following the logic of particular people here xD9_9

On 5/12/2019 at 9:36 AM, awegh said:

Always feels like we're getting killed by somebody we can never see and yet you seem to be the one who always kills me.

How do you do it?

patience usually trumps running and gunning. staying in a good prone position waiting for the other dude will usually snag you kills more often than deaths.

pay attention to the sound of gunfire (eg m4 vs ak). once you get used to it, you'll be able to pinpoint general direction and distance accurately. then decide whether to bum rush them or not. 

hipfire is pretty awful. use ADS 99.99999% of the time. 

use sidepeaks whenever possible.

and finally, know the map. there are just some elevated spots that are just damn great for killing things down below. think of the 7 story apartment complex in al basrah.

2 minutes ago, Supreme Chairman said:

patience usually trumps running and gunning. staying in a good prone position waiting for the other dude will usually snag you kill more often than deaths.

Staying in one position has always been considered the worst thing anyone can do. After firing you'll give every surrounding player the whereabouts of your position and make eyes twizzle to your direction. Prone is a very situational thing to use and generally has to be careful when used. Instead, you should use elevated terrain, dips, and the cover as your concealment having the constant ability to conceal yourself from prying eyes whenever you please. Crouching and fast movement to be proactive and not reactive to a situation is a lot more effective. Prone leaves you very limited and is usually used as a last-ditch effort to protect yourself from incoming fire.

Elevated places like buildings and especially roof tops are generally very bad spots. Everyone will see you and any decent marksman, or anyone with a scope, will put a bullet in your head.
Moving from one cover to another is generally the best imo, not sitting still but also not just running around in the open. Use cover and check the environment ahead before sprinting.
Being very confident in spotting and identifying the enemy is something that needs practice but helps a lot. You cannot hesitate and waste time on trying to figure out if the guy in front of you is friendly or enemy, it need to happen automatically .

8 hours ago, Quadro said:

Staying in one position has always been considered the worst thing anyone can do. After firing you'll give every surrounding player the whereabouts of your position and make eyes twizzle to your direction. Prone is a very situational thing to use and generally has to be careful when used. Instead, you should use elevated terrain, dips, and the cover as your concealment having the constant ability to conceal yourself from prying eyes whenever you please. Crouching and fast movement to be proactive and not reactive to a situation is a lot more effective. Prone leaves you very limited and is usually used as a last-ditch effort to protect yourself from incoming fire.

you definitely have a point however so do I. It kinda depends on context. what I'm getting at is more along the lines of using a dug in position where you'll know you'll have first shot at the enemy as they try to scan for your body. running and gunning may be your playstyle but i guarantee you've had your fair share of deaths because you couldn't clear all your angles and got shot from god knows where.

The framerate stability has allowed me to enter more direct combat roles or put myself in the line of fire more than I'd like to say as of recently that I have all the time I've had the game since 2017. (300 hours now) But one tip I'd give you is to constantly put yourself in those positions to make split-second decisions whether or not to peek a corner or not and engage. I mostly play close quarters since the majority of the time I do have a long range scope I end up having to get really close to the enemy thus the scope being ineffective at basically point blank range. So, first of all, make sure you have iron sights or a red dot (1x) but personally, I don't think you have to get into every gunfight you see or go after every single one of course but I'd also say that don't shy away from them if you don't have too. Try to use everything in your experience to train your muscle memory to do things however I'm not perfect, one thing I cannot do in this game is relay accurate locations right away during gunplay. I can get a little quiet unless I'm in cover then I'll definitely lay out some directions quickly.

So in case that is all too much to read, I'll just state them out in a list.

1. Good framerate, tweak your settings. Must be stable.

2. Get a good mouse as well.

3. Try to be very aggressive but also know your place when you have to or must play the defensive be it being outnumbered or needing to fall back for a rally.

4. As stationary can be really relevant to get you kills, it doesn't always work especially if you suck.

5. Just get to know all the guns, and imo know your guns and how comfortable you are with them.

Just to complete this I would say instead of getting upset (idk if you do) at dying or whatever it may be. Try to take every experience of a gunfight and take it apart to see where your flaws and faults were to then fix them for the next time. I like to think it's all about muscle memory.

7 hours ago, Supreme Chairman said:

you definitely have a point however so do I. It kinda depends on context. what I'm getting at is more along the lines of using a dug in position where you'll know you'll have first shot at the enemy as they try to scan for your body. running and gunning may be your playstyle but i guarantee you've had your fair share of deaths because you couldn't clear all your angles and got shot from god knows where.

This is good in case that your squad doesnt move. If squad is in motion, this will lead to seperate from squad sooner or even sooner. Which will lead to squad wipe. And then position will be overrun. But you inspired me to write something.

There are two situations. 

1) Squad is in defensive state. 

2) Squad is in movement (which we can call assaulting state in 90%) 

Therfor required survival skills are doubled.  In one hand player have to figure out how to effectively "camp" (lats name it FPSish) When player play with this in mind its easy to be traped in tunel vision. When he is in squad with other 8 those guys (who think fpsish) than whole squad will be traped in tunel vision. Than couple can easily flank them and take them down all. One could say Ez. This is problem of players with less than 500 hours. May be even more. Sad but its pretty realistic tip. Well this create opportunity right ? Just use this psychological knowledge as advantage its pretty obvious how.

So how to prevent that. Easily. Dont .. Be .. Sheep. Be Doe or Wolfs (depends D or A)

Lets take herd of does. In every single time they look around. They bend down for grass and immediately they pokes theirs head up and scan horizon. 

So at every single time there is at least one which searching for potentional dangerous. 

What i see in game is herds of sheeps. May be someone is confused what i mean. Hitin LMB = feeding up with head down and blind to whole area. Hunting. Sprinting. Assaulting. All of those are classic behavior for players to fill mounth by grass and forgot that well there is dangerous around.

Sometimes its funny open map and watch where players look and how they react when one sheep yell "contact west full squad". In most cases everyone turn to that direction. Everyone. This is classis sign of herd of sheeps. 

whats next they will do ? They react irracionaly. "where where where, i wanna kill" .... lets translate it "ooooh food for freee. Race for feed".  You see ? sheeps. 

And they will die, obviously because it was just couple. And rest of squad is on their north. Like i said ... Ez. 

Mistakes thay did. They left covers ffs. Why ? Ussualy before contact 1/2 of herd is partialy or fully protected by some covers. And suddenly they leave it ? whaat?

Lets check how herd of does react. One see danger. They spread out in different angles from danger and run in to cover (forest, bushes, trenches, ... ) but notice that they keep in mind they are herd and from where danger came. And than they stop and they dont eat thay scan, all of them. And then they react.

Sure we are not going run away, in game we will adapt our position to take in mind that there is definitely dangerous from known area but we dont forget we have to look around. Lets stop with this article. And take fast look at assault. 

You have to be pack of wolfs. But look how wolfs acting in field. Every single time there is at least one who watching target and surrounding flanks. Looks some documentary how they do that. Look closely. In game we can see ussualy how herd of sheeps trying to feed up their mounths.  

Low graphics settings works wonders in making you look like a good and a pro player.

10 hours ago, Bahrein said:

Low graphics settings works wonders in making you look like a good and a pro player.

+1

Lol

another way to get lots of kills is to stop trying to help the team.

ie

dont dig up the enemy fob

dont bandage others

dont search for enemy assets

dont use AT on anything with armour

dont go to flags except where there are lots of enemies.

bad advice :)

Locating the enemy requires situational awareness. Before deploying, check your map. Are there any conspicuous gaps in your team's line? Any areas with dead teammates? What way were they facing when they died? This will give you a general idea of where the enemy are coming from.

Next, look at the terrain. Are there any terrain features that create natural killzones, like a valley or a long corridor? Skirt around those killzones. Take advantage of favourable terrain. Avoid skylining. Only peek over hills using objects and sprites as cover and camouflage (peek around, not over this cover to avoid presenting your easily distinguishable head). Do your best to put cover between yourself and your blind spots as you move. Always be ready to crouch or hit the dirt if you are spotted. 

Listen for gunfire, friendly and enemy. Check your map to see where friendlies are shooting. Ask what they see if they're on your squad. Approach enemy gunfire with caution. Use terrain, buildings and foliage to get your flank on. Use your teammates as a distraction but don't assume all the enemy are engaging them. Be careful, but don't be a sitting duck. If you can't flank, set up a crossfire and wait for the enemy to manoeuvre. Make sure your flanks are covered or check them periodically (do not allow time for enemies to sneak around you). 

If you are going to lay low and cover an area for any length of time, make sure your flanks are clear before settling in. Never camp on a bare hill. Rocks and trees are your friends, as cover and concealment. Use your teammates to watch your flanks. You generally shouldn't be looking the same way until the shooting starts and you know where the enemy is. If you do shoot at any point, it's safest to assume the enemy knows where you are. Check your flanks again and get ready to duck bullets.

pinkos 3rd paragraph pretty much sums it up.

If your sl is not doing this, then you do it. He will thank you for it.

Learning to anticipate enemy movements can only come if you have Intel, even if its not directly observed, say someone spotted a logi going somewhere. Is he setting up a hab? Rtb? Follow up as best you can and react accordingly.

On 18/05/2019 at 8:04 AM, pinko said:

Listen for gunfire, friendly and enemy. Check your map to see where friendlies are shooting. Ask what they see if they're on your squad. Approach enemy gunfire with caution. Use terrain, buildings and foliage to get your flank on. Use your teammates as a distraction but don't assume all the enemy are engaging them. Be careful, but don't be a sitting duck. If you can't flank, set up a crossfire and wait for the enemy to manoeuvre. Make sure your flanks are covered or check them periodically (do not allow time for enemies to sneak around you). 

Posted (edited)

I think the issue is rarely simply spotting the enemy, but knowing where they could be and how to keep yourself safe from those areas. Don't stand around in the open. Don't assume an area is clear simply because you don't see someone. I'm having a bad game if I get less than a 5:1 kill ratio and I don't have exceptional eyesight or use low settings. Just focus on moving intelligently and with purpose and target acquisition will come. Then it's up to your aim, which you can practice on the range. 

Also, double back and find another angle of attack if the enemy have a bead on you. Or cover another angle if someone is pinning you down. Don't stick your head out and try to spot the shooter. They'll likely just pop you, the guns are very accurate.

Edited by pinko

Always stay out of the open. Keep your spacing  from your teammates and squad mates and always be paying attention to the map with time you will notice things happening on the map that will allow you to recognize where the enemy’s general position is. Besides map checking I always just scan and don’t get tunnel vision.

Listen to your environment, know the map, try to figure out the possible route of the enemy from information given by your team mates in past 5 minutes, do not fire until it does not serve your purpose(do you want to kill them, distract them or suppress them). All of this will increase your survivability.

Also if you are sure there will be more enemy than you can handle with your current angle change it or wait for enemy to change their location for you. I remember once 4-5 men just past 10m away from me while I lying around and scouting on them, I let them past me and killed all of them from their back :D. Result

Communicate with your team, even if they try to ignore it :D. Most of time I made my squad leader to ask other squads about some information.

For killing people know your weapon's capability and get familiar with it. Always try to have a higher ground then your target and be sure there are enough cover for you to hide and maneuver when fire returned.

Here I just lay down with my AKMS 40-50 degree from enemy's attacking position and kept firing on assulting guys and people inside their emplacements. They were just too busy with the Flag they didn't even notice me.

Just AKMS

And if you not limit them with only infantry:

This is what happens when you know the first things I mentioned :D.

BRDM2

And this is what happens when you combine all

4 apc + 2 Logi taken out by using SPG-9 Technical

They are probably not alone and part of a squad. You often end up with a good K/D Ratio if you go into firefights with the greater numbers. This makes the following more likely:

1. Getting targeted in the first place, because the enemy may target another player.

2. A enemy that is engaging you will get engaged by multiple players of your squad/team.

3. You will get revived after your squad/team has won the firefight.

Apart from that already mentioned individual skills and experience will help you like map knowledge, positioning and overall game sense. 

1. Map knowledge
2. FPS game genre experience
3. Ability to read situations even if you can't visually see it

4. Good squad leading

5. Practice! (I got 2000+ hours ingame, trust me, the more time you spend ingame the more deadly you are)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And very important:
6. Graphical settings
Many competitive teams in squad tweak and exploit graphics to get the edge over other players and get 10-30 more frames per second on performance (I call them ****ing morons.). The first step they would do is turn off shadows. Turning your shadows off immediately puts you in easy mode. I have been calling for locked shadows for about 3 years now, then we can get somewhat even playground. So, these so called ****ing morons, will see you way before you see them with your beautiful graphics that you earned because you got a beast of high end PC. They will shoot you through concielment like there is no tomorrow.

Thats how, my friend, you get a high KD radio. But please don't become a ****ing moron. They are ruining the game.

it's really mostly just FPS skills

I have a friend that get top kills most games and he only started recently, he barely knows any of the mechanics, rarely communicates and doesn't really play with the Squad either

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

I have a friend that get top kills most games and he only started recently, he barely knows any of the mechanics, rarely communicates and doesn't really play with the Squad either

This can mean one of two things. He's either very good, or the game mechanics need some tweaks to promote positioning over reflexes. In keeping with the character of a tactical shooter, in the majority of cases playing lone wolf should give you a "bad" game. Mind you, i'm not saying it should be impossible to rack high K/D ratios if you know what you're doing.

Certain people did that a lot in PR (some 2-man sniper/spotter teams could get more than 50 kills on certain maps, they didn't even move around that much and most of the times they didn't have a medic with them either) and it was more unforgiving in various gameplay elements and more clunky in terms of user experience than Squad is, so it should definitely be possible in Squad as well with all the quality of life improvements and certain mechanics that make things easier.

But this should probably be the realm of a minority of players with godlike reflexes, good eyes and a high degree of hand-eye coordination. For the rest of us mere mortals, positioning and maneuvering should be more important than point and shoot reflexes. More importantly, it should be possible to use positioning and maneuvering to isolate and kill the player with the superior FPS skills (one fireteam to suppress and draw fire, another to flank, outnumber and kill, classic stuff).

As for the rest of the thread, there's some pretty solid advice all around, but i think it may be hard to memorize and digest and it's not the fault of people who give advice, they explain it really well. It's just the kind of stuff that comes easy to you once you start getting it and you can explain it very well to others. But if you don't know it by personal experience yet, no matter how well it is explained you won't really get it.

It's like riding motorbikes, where you have to train your brain and muscle memory to often do the opposite of what your reflexes and survival instincts tell you. E.g., if you're running wide in a corner, panic and slam on the brakes, you'll lose traction and fall. Instead, lean the bike over more to tighten your trajectory. You're not a motoGP rider, so you're probably riding at less than 80% of what the bike can do, in the majority of cases the rider "gives up" before the bike.

It's similar with flight simulators as well. The number one rule when being on the defensive in a close range dogfight is to turn into the attack, not away from it (long range missile engagements are a bit different, in that case you want to make the missile run out of fuel ). Most new players will think, and rightfully so, "but this makes me cross his firing line". Yes, it does, but once you cross it you're out of it for a few seconds and you buy time to execute other maneuvers and turn the tables on your attacker. If the attacker is behind and to your right, turn right. Better yet, add a vertical component to your maneuver so that you are a bit out of his plane of motion when crossing his gun line. If he's coming from your right and you turn left, you just let him slot himself on your six for a prolonged period of time and you'll have a much harder time surviving.

When i started riding motorbikes i did the same thing as when i started playing flight sims. I read a LOT of theory. But then i went out and started practicing. Theory is necessary, but to digest it properly you need to get hands on experience. I like to think that theory without practice is useless, while practice without theory is dangerous.

So, how do you train yourself to become better at something? It's not as hard as it might look. First, go read a guide or watch a youtube video of a good player. Then (the really important stuff) choose ONE single thing to improve and focus on that. Practice that thing on your next match. If you are learning how to squad lead, tell your squad you are new and tell them what you are doing, they will help with the rest. Then, focus on placing down a rally. If you do it for 2-3 rounds, it will become automatic. The next time, you can try managing fireteams and so on. If you are a squad member, say "today i will practice moving from cover to cover", or "i will try to estimate ranges by eye so that i can be a better grenadier", and so on.

By eliminating other aspects of your training, you give your brain time to get used to doing things the proper way and building muscle memory. Most importantly, you can also self-analyze your actions on the spot, almost in real time, because you have now shut all the information overload from reaching your brain. You are doing one thing and observing yourself do it at the same time. Trust me, if it works for learning how to ride a motorbike, it will work in a videogame too. At least here you can respawn if you make mistakes xD

Edited by Burningbeard80

On 6/4/2019 at 2:41 PM, Hotpokkaminny said:

Very likely he is basically getting "carried" in one way or the other. By his squad, by the team or simply because the enemy is feeding.

It is also stupid just to look at the top or worst results as a player. You need to look how a player plays 90% of the time. We all have rounds where we get very good or very poor results, but those rounds are not the rule. Personally I often see players "performing well" when they overall balance is completely broken and one team gets steamrolled or made a big mistake and keeps feeding the enemy.