Jump to content
Rudd_Nurseman

Remove mines from Combat engineers on regular forces

Recommended Posts

Combat engineers are awesome

 

they work well in FOB gameplay

 

they allow field repairs without having to switch to crewman

 

I like they carry some defences to build

 

However mines to me make no sense for regular forces

 

This results in gameplay such as mining militia or insurgent main, this isn't what modern forces do afaik unless absolutely necessary and wouldn't be on a road but around a static installation. This results in British forces on Basrah mining a city...hardly appropriate.

 

The mine also encourages lone wolfing, on militia and insurgents I can understand as irregular tactics are important as part of the asymmetry but on regular forces the kit is regularly misidentified as 'special forces' instead of combat engineer. They still will try and lone wolf fobs all the time I'm sure, but removing the mine is a good move imo on regular forces. The relevant teams already have Kornets/TOWs as well as their complement of powerful vehicles. I think they can survive without setting civilian killing explosives around cities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rudd_Nurseman said:

This results in gameplay such as mining militia or insurgent main, this isn't what modern forces do afaik unless absolutely necessary and wouldn't be on a road but around a static installation. This results in British forces on Basrah mining a city...hardly appropriate.

 

The mine also encourages lone wolfing, on militia and insurgents I can understand as irregular tactics are important as part of the asymmetry but on regular forces the kit is regularly misidentified as 'special forces' instead of combat engineer. They still will try and lone wolf fobs all the time I'm sure, but removing the mine is a good move imo on regular forces. The relevant teams already have Kornets/TOWs as well as their complement of powerful vehicles. I think they can survive without setting civilian killing explosives around cities.

 I agree with no mines for Regular Forces.

 

In PR there was a big difference in gameplay playing with INS or  the BLUE FOR. It was a completely different experience within the same game! 

 

Still. As of now, I don´t think they´ll remove it. Maybe, in the insurgency game mode they could. I think they want the game to grow a bit more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yay! Former PR dev. Or still active?

Edited by fatalsushi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

+1 for no mines on BLUFOR.

 

Give them an extra c4 for clearing wrecks.

 

Edited by oTec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im also for removing mines for engineers. It seems like way too many players are using the engineers like a scout and are running around alone placing mines and trying to blow things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

More AT tools for Inf is good and needed, especially for defence purpose.


 

2 hours ago, Rudd_Nurseman said:

The mine also encourages lone wolfing, on militia and insurgents I can understand as irregular tactics are important as part of the asymmetry but on regular forces the kit is regularly misidentified as 'special forces' instead of combat engineer. They still will try and lone wolf fobs all the time I'm sure, but removing the mine is a good move imo on regular forces.

 

Objection!

The mine also encourages lone wolfing? To be effective in mining you need to rearm so a Fireteam with some Rifleman necessary.

Sure I've seen once a lonewolf driving around the map with a log, but in the end he got killed and much worse wasted a logi.

But every time every game in v13 a engi is lonewolfing for fob radios if we remove the mine we should also remove C4 for the very same Reason.

Without Mines or C4 we can Remove the Class/Role/Kit form the game RIP Combat engineer.

 

1 hour ago, Nightingale87 said:

 I agree with no mines for Regular Forces.

 

In PR there was a big difference in gameplay playing with INS or  the BLUE FOR. It was a completely different experience within the same game! 

 

Still. As of now, I don´t think they´ll remove it. Maybe, in the insurgency game mode they could. I think they want the game to grow a bit more. 

PR had Mines; Claymores and Boobytraps and no one complained about that.

Edited by Phoenixstorm
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I disagree, but only to a point.

 

Allow Regular Forces to places mines within a radius of their FOBs/radios... with potential for AP mines... might need a cooldown period after detonations before placing a new mine... ^^

 

Edit: Do all squads need to have the same structure. Could a light recon squad form be introduced, limited number per team, with specialist roles for recon/sabotaging purposes... ^^

Edited by Zeroid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Phoenixstorm said:

PR had Mines; Claymores and Boobytraps and no one complained about that.

Correct me if Im wrong. But Blue for didn´t have mines while insurgents did.

34 minutes ago, Zeroid said:

Edit: Do all squads need to have the same structure. Could a light recon squad form be introduced, limited number per team, with specialist roles for recon/sabotaging purposes... ^^

This was discussed in the past (and in PR as well). 

 

It was even suggested that one squad per team could be Special forces. Different skins and special perks. FOr many reasons it was voted down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Nightingale87 said:

Correct me if Im wrong. But Blue for didn´t have mines while insurgents did.

 

They did.

 

Video proof just in case you didn't believe my word.

 

Edited by Phoenixstorm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mines make sense for conventional forces because conventional forces use mines and they were present in PR

it's more a case of unconventional forces needing more tools to differentiate them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Yay! Former PR dev. Or still active?

Very former

 

re objection to mines = lonewolf, you forgot vehicle rearming phoenix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rudd_Nurseman said:

Very former

 

re objection to mines = lonewolf, you forgot vehicle rearming phoenix

 

Logi isn't a vehicle? nvm. my point is a different one.

 

No matter what you do in Squad can be done by a lone wolf besides fob building. You can be playing solo Tank, Inf etc but no matter what you do as a lone wolf, you will be less effective compared to a group of players.

 

For the engineer specific, you can do mine all alone but it will take time. When you are at least 2 players (one placing mines and the other one bring ammo all along with some sort of vehicle you can cut the time by half) and if you got a third one acting as a scout to look wich streets/areas the opponent team drive through the engineer can be more effective in the mine placements or the third one acting as a rifleman to quickly being able to block the whole road + sides which is also more effective than a single mine.

 

On top of that Engineer / Mines, placement is a different playstyle and can be well mixed into an SPG/DishK/MRAP/Scoutcar/Stryker/BTR Squad 

but Stryker and BTR third pick is most of the time a LAT for being more versatile in engaging against opponent armour.

The synergies in being in a light vehicle spot as an engineer are you travel around more quickly if you want to place a mine. The Light vehicle has you as an effective help against FOB's and Access to Repair at the same time and if being chased by something heavier you can hob out, place a mine and save your teammates. Which is one of the most fun and effective way to use the engineer's abilities

 

In short, lone wolfing is possible but not effective and a single mine only destroys light vehicles. More armoured ones just get damaged and disabled which cost the crew some more time but that's it.

 

Edited by Phoenixstorm
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a13 mines do not= kills 

leave as is for a few months. 

 

fob or rally radius mine placement restriction would be interesting. ie to mine enemy main you need your sl to come with. mines could remain after rally/fob is removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really like mines for conventional forces but I do like the idea of them placing them within a FOB radius though. Not sure they should remain once the FOB goes though as it would lead to groups placing temporary FOBs just to be able to mine an area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mines IED’s where the only thing giving a little upper hand to unconventional forces like Militia and Insurgents.When it came to thous things.And i loved it that way.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

true @Bahrein it is very easy to take down FOB's now with all factions.

 

It would be nice if built assets were not removed, just disabled, if a radio was destroyed. A radio could then be delivered by a vehicle to re-activate the base (all radios should be deployed by a vic).

or there was a stage of the radio that required some shovelling to totally remove so that instant loss of all the assets was not so easy. Individual assets should be valid targets. eg ammo crate destruction took away ammo points, hab destruction could cost more construction to repair and take some time. This would force the team to clear the area and then spend time building it up again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One example how I've used the engineer is I created a three man squad, 1 SQ, 1HAt, 1 Engineer and we grabbed a MRAP. Parked outside the enemy FOB and mine the crap out of everything whilst re-arming at the MRAP with the HAT and Engineer.

 

I'm not sure if this is what the devs had in mind. I suppose you could blame the opposite team for not doing anything about it but I'm not a fan myseelf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×