Smee

Time to give up the shovel

Is it time to give up the shovel. At present we have the tasks of shovelling building everything, is it now the time to push away a lot of the tasks of players. Maybe the assets should built over time instead of dug up. Or allow them to be overtime with the soldiers be able to decrease the construction time by digging. Maybe even allow soldiers to build sandbags where they like with their shovels but have SL's focus on the infrastructures.   

We have a lot more tasks now than we have ever had and maybe its a thought that we could be more toward elevated towards more game play.  Even thinking is it time Medics lose their shovels focus them to ward combat.  We've have had a couple of years digging and don't think it brings much to the table, maybe uses of the spanner to build Weapons stations but non ammo assets we could leave that to history. 

Thoughts on that. 

I disagree, but I dont think that every class should have shovels... like medics

I do not like the idea of structures building themselves. To get a FOB up and running should be a team effort. IMO the more extra tasks, the better. If the game is stripped of it logistical aspects, then it's just another Battlefield. The beauty of a game like Squad is the build-up (no pun intended) to the firefight.

A successful logistical effort before the fight makes the fight so much more rewarding. Knowing, when your squad is wiped, that you as a group set up a good assault FOB that you can now fall back on. It gives everything a little more meaning. 

I do agree with EA_SUCKS. I'd say only riflemen have shovels.

I know I am in the minority here, and that Squad probably is going down the path that OP is suggesting. More arcade, faster spawns, comms for everyone so all you hear is 8 squad member's and 4 squad leader's infantile sh!t-chat, everyone can spawn on any rally point, etc. 

When this game is released, there will be no difference between Squad and BF3. So I'll try to enjoy it while it's still in development... 

1 hour ago, Smee said:

Is it time to give up the shovel. At present we have the tasks of shovelling building everything, is it now the time to push away a lot of the tasks of players. Maybe the assets should built over time instead of dug up. Or allow them to be overtime with the soldiers be able to decrease the construction time by digging. Maybe even allow soldiers to build sandbags where they like with their shovels but have SL's focus on the infrastructures.   

We have a lot more tasks now than we have ever had and maybe its a thought that we could be more toward elevated towards more game play.  Even thinking is it time Medics lose their shovels focus them to ward combat.  We've have had a couple of years digging and don't think it brings much to the table, maybe uses of the spanner to build Weapons stations but non ammo assets we could leave that to history. 

Thoughts on that. 

I don't want to see it removed, it's kind of interesting novelty actually. In ET:QW the Engineer had a pair of pliers to repair the MCP, build bridges and activate new spawn points so naturally I like the process. That said, I would like the amount of repetitions reduced greatly to 10 or less.

I like the shovels. The squad moving to a point then working together to get a FOB set up is one of my favourite parts of the game.  I don’t think shovels should be taken away from anyone. It’s part of every soldiers basic kit and I think the entire squad being able to build is important to teamwork.

11 hours ago, Smee said:

Thoughts on that. 

Oh no! please no!

Besides, In total I spend digging 1 minute in average each round. Maybe 2??? that´s it. not really a big problem.

10 hours ago, PuddleMurda said:

I do not like the idea of structures building themselves. To get a FOB up and running should be a team effort. IMO the more extra tasks, the better. If the game is stripped of it logistical aspects, then it's just another Battlefield. The beauty of a game like Squad is the build-up (no pun intended) to the firefight.

A successful logistical effort before the fight makes the fight so much more rewarding. Knowing, when your squad is wiped, that you as a group set up a good assault FOB that you can now fall back on. It gives everything a little more meaning. 

+1

10 hours ago, PuddleMurda said:

I know I am in the minority here, and that Squad probably is going down the path that OP is suggesting. More arcade, faster spawns, comms for everyone so all you hear is 8 squad member's and 4 squad leader's infantile sh!t-chat, everyone can spawn on any rally point, etc. 

When this game is released, there will be no difference between Squad and BF3. So I'll try to enjoy it while it's still in development... 

Oh please no! 

I´ll go back to PR if they do that. 

I know they have to d something appealing for people that like that kind of gameplay. SO from now and then they implement features like "Buddy rally" or incread the speed to something weird so they catch the attention of new comers. But I hope it´s just for some time and they will continue the true path they advertised when they claimed it was "PROJECT REALITY´S SUCCESSOR".

36 minutes ago, Nightingale87 said:

Oh no! please no!

Besides, In total I spend digging 1 minute in average each round. Maybe 2??? that´s it. not really a big problem.

+1

Oh please no! 

I´ll go back to PR if they do that. 

I know they have to d something appealing for people that like that kind of gameplay. SO from now and then they implement features like "Buddy rally" or incread the speed to something weird so they catch the attention of new comers. But I hope it´s just for some time and they will continue the true path they advertised when they claimed it was "PROJECT REALITY´S SUCCESSOR".

I Strongly agree with you.

7 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

Oh please no! 

I am sorry to say this, but I have come to realize a thing or two about these early access "hardcore" shooters. 

The relatively small click of gamers that truly enjoy these unforgiving, slow paced, tactical shooters are so loyal to the idea of a hardcore shooter, so when one is released as early access we all jump aboard and give these projects a really good head start. There are so few games out there that market themselves this way, and we are dying for more of them. Developers can probably quite reliably count on a certain amount of sales when they initially sell a concept like this. When sales stagnate, as we are only so many, it's time to look elsewhere for sales. That's when it all starts heading in a more casual direction. Why would they "release" a Squad that caters to the "hardcore" community, when all of us have already bought the game. Bad for business. 

I am never spending another cent on an early access game ever again. I am done with buying a concept that changes into something entirely different over time.

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2019 at 3:25 PM, Smee said:

Thoughts on that. 

:Thumbs up: I was just thinking about this yesterday. Sometimes things get a bit minecrafty. I keep wondering what will happen when CAS is added... Maybe there needs to be more of an incentive / reward for building or a mechanic which keeps the SL close to the construction so they're not going "I placed it, you build it, cya". :) 

Edited by Cosmic Tea
TMI

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, Cosmic Tea said:

:Thumbs up: I was just thinking about this yesterday. Sometimes things get a bit minecrafty. I keep wondering what will happen when CAS is added... Maybe there needs to be more of an incentive / reward for building or a mechanic which keeps the SL close to the construction so they're not going "I placed it, you build it, cya". :) 

Things get minecrafty because some sls prefer to play minecraft over Squad. Some Sls think a super fob is actually a good thing (yeah! can you belive that?). The truth is that super fobs are only useful a very small number of times in a very small number of situations in just a few maps. 

So. I don´t share your with to see things building themselves for 2 main reasons:

1. The idea is that players need to do things in order to overcome the enemy. Things that trascend the simple aim and fire as in other shooters.

2. In my experience it´s not really a problem. Probably becaus eI mainly play in servers where Sls son´t super fob, and building a radio, hab, and ammo box and maybe one or two emplacements takes less than 3 minutes for a full 9 men squad. And for that reason I don´t see building with my shovel as a problem.

I have a simple solution to this issue of "Anti E-Tool" bias.....

Make the E-Tool dual purpose. A weapon and something to build / un-build deployables.

The E-Tool is a melee weapon of last resort but...it would be fun to have a knife vs shovel fight :).

Discussion can be had with out rude & insulting remarks towards other users. Keep it mature & respectable please.

Cleaned the thread.

Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2019 at 5:55 PM, PuddleMurda said:

I am sorry to say this, but I have come to realize a thing or two about these early access "hardcore" shooters. 

The relatively small click of gamers that truly enjoy these unforgiving, slow paced, tactical shooters are so loyal to the idea of a hardcore shooter, so when one is released as early access we all jump aboard and give these projects a really good head start. There are so few games out there that market themselves this way, and we are dying for more of them. Developers can probably quite reliably count on a certain amount of sales when they initially sell a concept like this. When sales stagnate, as we are only so many, it's time to look elsewhere for sales. That's when it all starts heading in a more casual direction. Why would they "release" a Squad that caters to the "hardcore" community, when all of us have already bought the game. Bad for business. 

I am never spending another cent on an early access game ever again. I am done with buying a concept that changes into something entirely different over time.

I'm 100% with you, but I don't think I won't buy any early access game for this reason. 

However yes, the problem still remains and it's real, and I don't believe we are going towards a solution over here since the mechanics keep going into the easy/fast direction. We are all paying for that, Squad Leaders who try to build nice public squads, Medics looking for people not giving up while Marksmen are roaming around the entire map like children playing COD: this is just terrible. 

So, getting back to the post answer, out of the OT, I am sorry but I have to totally disagree with the OP. 

Edited by DoctorSnailer