Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

we have all thought about this one too many times. why cant i drive through this? or how am i stuck? It could be possible for vehicles to leave behind tracks. 

i know its a daunting task to develop. it might make the game harder to run too, but imagine if the game had a destructible environment.  

i think the development team is doing pretty good. i think you guys should focus on the vehicle physics for now. 

Edited by SERGEANT ANDREWS

What has changed since the consensus in  the last 50 threads on this topic?

Here's a recent post by Assi on the topic:

It's not an engine limitation (because UE4 is perfectly capable of destruction and has been for years) but rather the sheer amount of variables that have to be checked, updated and stored throughout a round while keeping performance reasonable. Things like shrubs, small rocks, wood fences may seem like "small" and "easy" things to make destructible compared to lets say buildings (and they are from an artist perspective)*, but the maths is pretty much the same in the long run.

Even with something as simple as running over a wood fence with a tank, destroying the mesh and having some effects spawn (particles, sound) and potentially replacing it with a destroyed fence mesh is a lot of work to replicate across 80 (100 eventually) clients. To then think this would be possible for even more assets and there would be a lot of player interaction with them throughout a round, it all adds up eventually. The GPU is fine to handle the change of states with particles spawning for effects (bits of wood, dust etc), but for a CPU to calculate it all at such a scale is something else, especially when we already have enough happening at the server level.

One fence section turns into hundreds if not thousands on a map and this is just one asset. You then have to store the state of it so it's properly replicated for players that join a game that's in progress. A lot of work for something as small as just a fence or shrub, even with simple destruction methods with simple mesh swaps covered by particle effects.

Additionally, we already have simple health based destruction on assets like sandbags, HABs etc. So it's not that it's not possible because of the engine, but to do it properly and with good performance it's something that needs to be planned from the earlier stages of a project and have a whole pipeline set up for it. :D