Gatzby

Alpha 13 Patch Notes

I'm not giving up on Squad, I'm excited by what the future might bring, but I'm also not playing it currently. I stopped because I was tired of non stop rushing, and non stop AAS. The meta was moving towards less in the moment strategy and trying to out think your opponent, and more of whoever can out blitzkrieg the other team using the same formula from layer to layer. I like having a game environment that rewards cooperation, creative thinking, and staying alive, while it punishes those who think they can shoot their way out of any situation. Players only value their virtual life when dying is painful. Once they don't, then they can afford to be reckless, and winning a battle is reduced to nothing more than who can outshoot the other. Which gets boring imo. 

1 hour ago, LugNut said:

I'm not giving up on Squad, I'm excited by what the future might bring, but I'm also not playing it currently. I stopped because I was tired of non stop rushing, and non stop AAS. The meta was moving towards less in the moment strategy and trying to out think your opponent, and more of whoever can out blitzkrieg the other team using the same formula from layer to layer. I like having a game environment that rewards cooperation, creative thinking, and staying alive, while it punishes those who think they can shoot their way out of any situation. Players only value their virtual life when dying is painful. Once they don't, then they can afford to be reckless, and winning a battle is reduced to nothing more than who can outshoot the other. Which gets boring imo. 

To their credit the developers have taken steps to mitigate the rush meta and team deathmatch tendencies with things like fog of war wouldn't you agree though?

2 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

To their credit the developers have taken steps to mitigate the rush meta and team deathmatch tendencies with things like fog of war wouldn't you agree though?

The fog of war is great, I’ll give them that. But there are still more features in v13 that go completely against the slower-paced game that encourages thinking and teamwork that the devs said they were aiming for.

They never said “we’re going to speed up the game, make it less punishing, and put more emphasis on individual skill.” This flip-flopping is really discouraging.

8 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

"Clearly"?

Who actually is this "subset"? Could you be more specific as to their identity and also exactly how it is that you determined that they're "leaving" the game? Do you have some kind of metric for this or are you simply making things up?

you're being an anal nerd

of course I don't have metrics on hand (neither do you), this isn't my phd thesis

there are literally people in this thread saying they're leaving the game or at least thinking about it

these people are generally boomers with no reaction times or former arma players, they're more concerned with role playing than actually playing a game competitively

I don't care if they leave the game, I'd prefer people that can actually shoot in my squad

that being said the insta death and rally changes are shit

3 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

you're being an anal nerd

of course I don't have metrics on hand (neither do you), this isn't my phd thesis

there are literally people in this thread saying they're leaving the game or at least thinking about it

these people are generally boomers with no reaction times or former arma players, they're more concerned with role playing than actually playing a game competitively

I don't care if they leave the game, I'd prefer people that can actually shoot in my squad

that being said the insta death and rally changes are shit

You can be polite and still get your point across without grade school name calling you know? Pigeonholing and categorizing the community into subgroups and then defining the game as a strictly "competitive" seems childish and ignorant to me. Also, I don't remember anyone asking you to define the overall experience for everyone either. Maybe I missed that.

Hotpokkaminny, giving players superhuman sprinting, strafing, and aiming abilities means that selecting tactically important positions gives far less of an an advantage over the gormless randos W+M1ing across an open field.  It becomes a contest purely of reflex, rather than a contest of training, planning, observation of the enemy, communication, use of team assets, tactical positioning, and reflex.  The right answer to most problems in the new design paradigm appears to be "Spawn, run towards the enemy as fast as you can, and shoot them in the face" and I can get that from any game, many far more polished than Squad is.

The cerebral pace and pivotal effectiveness of well-planned team maneuvers was the unique element that brought me into and kept me with the game despite its flaws.  Without that focus, what does Squad offer that other games don't do better?

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

You can be polite and still get your point across without grade school name calling you know? Pigeonholing and categorizing the community into subgroups and then defining the game as a strictly "competitive" seems childish and ignorant to me. Also, I don't remember anyone asking you to define the overall experience for everyone either. Maybe I missed that.

completely redundant post, everyone that suggests anything is trying to define the overall experience

it's a pvp game, it's competitive

16 minutes ago, Skidborg said:

Hotpokkaminny, giving players superhuman sprinting, strafing, and aiming abilities means that selecting tactically important positions gives far less of an an advantage over the gormless randos W+M1ing across an open field.  It becomes a contest purely of reflex, rather than a contest of training, planning, observation of the enemy, communication, use of team assets, tactical positioning, and reflex.  The right answer to most problems in the new design paradigm appears to be "Spawn, run towards the enemy as fast as you can, and shoot them in the face" and I can get that from any game, many far more polished than Squad is.

The cerebral pace and pivotal effectiveness of well-planned team maneuvers was the unique element that brought me into and kept me with the game despite its flaws.  Without that focus, what does Squad offer that other games don't do better?

but we're not talking about superhuman sprinting, we're talking about a 10% increase to make it an actually realistic speed, though I do agree the momentum changes need to be reverted

recoil is already unrealistically high, there's nothing superhuman about anyone's aiming ability

I hate to break this to you, but reflexes do matter in real combat and they should matter in game, you're acting as if this game has turned into instafrag Quake when in actuality positioning and planning are still just as important (new rally system aside)

you're delusional if you really believe a 10% movement speed increase has somehow made planning, resource management and communication any less relevant

in all honesty, this patch has been an extremely incremental change, people saying the game has drastically changed for better or worse are either out of their mind or disingenuous 

I just played a match and I cannot say I like the changes. I made a terrible decision directly after getting revived: I stood up to look where the enemy was shooting from and I got shot, however I was not killed instantly but I was revived again. In my opinion, adding this is a terrible decision, especially from what LugNut stated:

"Players only value their virtual life when dying is painful. Once they don't, then they can afford to be reckless, and winning a battle is reduced to nothing more than who can outshoot the other. Which gets boring imo."

He is completely on point with this statement. When my squad and I died, I told them to respawn at the closest FOB. However, that FOB was just taken down and we had to respawn at the main base if it was not for a friendly rally point being close to the fight. 60 s later and we had our full squad assisting the team again. Definitely something I did not like as we were not punished like we would have been in A12.