Gatzby

Alpha 13 Patch Notes

Posted (edited)

+ Stamina that recovers much faster 

+ less inertia when starting to run

It's the sum of the little changes. For me this is much more noticable than the 10% make it look on paper. But we don't have to discuss this any further especially because we don't know if this is permanent. 

I'll go play some Squad instead :-)

Edited by Mauti

it's still not really that much of a difference, any way you cut it 10% isn't a huge difference

given the fact that maps will be getting bigger soon and we're getting more and stronger vehicles, it's a necessary change

1 hour ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

it's still not really that much of a difference, any way you cut it 10% isn't a huge difference

given the fact that maps will be getting bigger soon and we're getting more and stronger vehicles, it's a necessary change

10% is a huge difference. It´s 10%!!!

Now about the maps. Aren´t hellis supossed to be coming to the game? they will cover the ground, realistically, quickly and with team work required.

10% in my paychek is a lot. 10% in my height is a lot. Running 10% is a LOT!

Then you may like it or not...and then we might discuss whether it´s realistic or not.

I think we could hit a middle point between v12 and v13 if an Increase in speed is absolutely necessary.

Posted (edited)

I can't say I really tested it atm so I've little to say except this :

-In "controls" the "Chat to SL9" is still in "Infantry" section while others "Chat to SL..." have been moved to "Command" section

-The DELETE key (the one above arrow keys) can't be bind to some controls (I use DEL to chose my frags, used to work til v13, now I can't bind it any longer). As DEL is the key used to delete keybindings I can understand but it worked before. Please fix it.

-In "controls", in both sections Infantry and Vehicle, "Forward, backward, strafe left & right" appear as "NONE" instead of their respective names

Considering running system, I appreciate the new system, inertia, duration... maybe little too fast indeed.

Only played 1 round (and I admit its not enough for a consistent comment) and I really don't like the new rally mechanism (ability to put rally on another SL one) ; on me its the same problem as it was with the "ping" in V12 : as BLUFOR it doesn't force SL to think before placing a new rally ; as OPFOR its harder to eradicate ennemies as more important waves of ennemies come back at the same time... Plus, if a noob SL uses your rally ton spam his guys while you tried to hide it, it may be discovered by the ennemies much faster

Edited by Nightstalker21

3 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

Instead for me it has drastically changed the feeling of the game. (worse of course)

16 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Squad is an innovative game created by a very talented group of artistic individuals not unlike John Carmack, John Romero and Warren Spector. People that are themselves true gamers and are passionate about creating something different. That much is true. I don't think anyone could argue with that.

Needless to say, across the timeline of the games development there has always been a rock solid core foundation of players. A couple of months ago there were actually two sequential days with exactly the same daily peaks. From a statistics standpoint that's virtually impossible and speaks volumes about the communities patience level.

That said, the core community isn't going anywhere especially over something as trite as sprint speed, buddy rally or no more instagibs. Devs could take a hot steamy dump on the core players keyboards and they'd simply brush it off and drop a rally in response. There will never be a  retention problem with these folks.

Notwithstanding, cleary across that same timeline the game has had a very serious new player retention problem. With over a million copies sold according to Forbes magazine and with daily peaks still hovering around 3000 this equals a 0.3% playership. That's extremely disappointing.

That brings us to the elephant in the room. Somehow there are over a million people who bought the game, most likely had a bad first impression and either refunded it or simply went on to play another game. So regardless of the reasons why this occurred its now time to instead focus on the future and figure out how do you get those folks back in the game. Does anyone really think that relatively insignificant tweaks to the gameplay within the bigger picture of the game will achieve that? I personally don't.

That said, Squad itself does have a PR problem but its not a Project Reality problem. Instead, its a "public relations" problem simply because over the entire process OWI has made the business choice to let external parties bear the financial burden of hosting the servers and basically be the ambassador's for the game. As time has shown this has clearly driven away a whole lot of game purchasers. You seriously can't blame this lack on playership on anything else because the game itself is a masterpiece.

OWI hosting official vanilla servers where a new player or perhaps a returning key holder can get a quality gaming experience unfettered by clan cronyism, favoritism,  supplemental rule sets and admin abuse is the only solution. This will grow the playership to around 10,000 daily peaks by summertime I predict. Anything less and the playership will flatline like it currently has.

And for God's sake, no more free weekends because that drives away as many or more people than it attracts.

Its not whether the tweaks are insignificant, individually they are not but the gradual shift towards what appears a more casual/arcade version of squad is what concerns many, then again those that did the survey might say differently.  Something you yourself have asked and pointed out many times what direction are they taking?  I believe that many of the core players you talk about are not wholly in favour of a move in that direction, I certainly dont see many of the core players I used to play with in clans jumping into squad as much these days.  Indeed some streamer advocates dropped squad from their rota because it was even in v12 becoming a little arcade like.  

You have never been in favour of clan controlled servers and I have always taken the view that clan controlled can provide better gameplay, (evident when admins are not available).   But agree that a choice should be made available.   

I think it would be more detrimental if OWI setup servers that did not have admins and chaos ensued than a couple of over zealous power mad clan admins, of which in my 3000 hours (yup I said it I know, shoot me)I have very rarely come into contact with.   

After months out, the one biggest problem with Squad is still getting SLs and stopping vehicle wastage... the first well needs a bigger player base but if you lose some of the veterans it  may never happen, the second may never be solved..... 

I think we have to make a distinction on 'core' players.

There are hardcore competitive.

There are casual.

Pretty much everyone I know or interface with is casual, not competitive.  The problem I see is that certain folks demand a lot.  It wouldn't necessarily fit for Squad.  Most people play the game less then 5-6 hours a week.  They have lives, and families.  It's a hobby.

There is plenty of room for both players!  But keep in mind, some people that I've heard on feedback are putting quite harsh criticism on movement and other stuff, doesn't really make sense.  The patch just came out.  I'm sure they are listening.

1 minute ago, Soulzz said:

There are casual.

Pretty much everyone I know or interface with is casual, not competitive.  The problem I see is that certain folks demand a lot.  It wouldn't necessarily fit for Squad.  Most people play the game less then 5-6 hours a week.  They have lives, and families.  It's a hobby.

There is plenty of room for both players!  But keep in mind, some people that I've heard on feedback are putting quite harsh criticism on movement and other stuff, doesn't really make sense.  The patch just came out.  I'm sure they are listening.

+5

3 hours ago, embecmom said:

Its not whether the tweaks are insignificant, individually they are not but the gradual shift towards what appears a more casual/arcade version of squad is what concerns many, then again those that did the survey might say differently.  Something you yourself have asked and pointed out many times what direction are they taking?  I believe that many of the core players you talk about are not wholly in favour of a move in that direction, I certainly dont see many of the core players I used to play with in clans jumping into squad as much these days.  Indeed some streamer advocates dropped squad from their rota because it was even in v12 becoming a little arcade like.  

You have never been in favour of clan controlled servers and I have always taken the view that clan controlled can provide better gameplay, (evident when admins are not available).   But agree that a choice should be made available.   

I think it would be more detrimental if OWI setup servers that did not have admins and chaos ensued than a couple of over zealous power mad clan admins, of which in my 3000 hours (yup I said it I know, shoot me)I have very rarely come into contact with.   

After months out, the one biggest problem with Squad is still getting SLs and stopping vehicle wastage... the first well needs a bigger player base but if you lose some of the veterans it  may never happen, the second may never be solved..... 

In the two weeks the v13 Public Test was out I played every evening in either the Montreal or Vancouver server and for the most part it was completely unmoderated and the gameplay went smoothly and players behaved themselves. At the end of it I had nearly 60 hours and not once did I ever see anyone complain of TK's.

In a couple of different matches some people were one manning the armor and wasting assets but in each case they simply left afterwards. That said, on the playtest and all the previous ones for that matter all I've ever seen was people acting like adults and having fun.

Think hard about it for a second. Official servers hosted by OWI intrinsically command respect and players act accordingly when they're cognizant of the fact that unlike the franchise servers where their misbehavior simply results in a kick or ban which could potentially be appealed these guys could pull your key. I think people understand the concept of losing things of monetary value plus their own personal reputation and credibility as well. And if they don't then they're simply ignorant.

Official servers would for the most part would run smoothly just like they have in many other games I've played and would go a long ways towards growing the player base quite quickly as well. Needless to say, all of the doom and gloom scenario's are greatly exaggerated imho.

The reason why most players behaved nice and like adults in the test, was because they were basically players who've played the game for a while and actively follow it's development. You wouldn't find that happen as well in the main game i think, since the playerbase is just that much larger, with potentional trolls and stuff.

4 hours ago, Soulzz said:

There are casual.

yeah but if you only want to "kill" some people after works you have hundreds of better games for this purpose you can play. 

There is no need to move our little unique gem Squad to this grey mass. 

I hate Run and Gun Games and i already see it increasing in many rounds. 

Please just go back to V12 Movement. Its so annoying with all the Usain Bolts. 

1 hour ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

The reason why most players behaved nice and like adults in the test, was because they were basically players who've played the game for a while and actively follow it's development. You wouldn't find that happen as well in the main game i think, since the playerbase is just that much larger, with potentional trolls and stuff.

Fair enough. But what's it going to hurt to actually try it? What does OWI have to lose at this point basically four years later? As others have not so eloquently pointed out the "early access alpha" excuse for everything is over and done with. Everyone is fatigued with that term by now.

Just in case nobody noticed with each patch there used to be big hype and big rises in playership. Not so much this week. With each successive patch the hype and peaks has gotten lower and lower. There's a saying for repeating the same procedure over and over and expecting different results you know. Now is the time for official servers in the server browser to give players a vanilla experience and move all the franchises to the custom browser because with all their supplemental rules thats where they actually belong.

50 minutes ago, Golden_ said:

yeah but if you only want to "kill" some people after works you have hundreds of better games for this purpose you can play. 

There is no need to move our little unique gem Squad to this grey mass. 

I hate Run and Gun Games and i already see it increasing in many rounds. 

Please just go back to V12 Movement. Its so annoying with all the Usain Bolts. 

Perhaps my point isn’t getting across. Movement speed does not dictate the style of the game, nor does it change the core elements. The team-oriented tactics and need to be careful with what you do is still very present and very real (so long as you wish to be successful). Until I see people blazing down streets turning every which way and dumping a magazine or jumping off buildings and 360° un-scoping people, it’s safe to conclude Squad is no Run’n’Gun.

Posted (edited)

Stop making the game so arcade. Please add an arcade mode. Everyone a medic, no one can die, pathetic.

We need more maps.

Why are we adding all these ridiculous spawn and arcade features to make game easier. Maybe if the maps had clear logistic routes we wouldn't need this, instead we get clusterF's of roads such as Chora.... The valley map... etc... no wonder we need shared rallies, who the hell is gonna drive a logi for 20 minutes?

Why can character sprint 100 meters but only sprint crawl 4 meters from full bar. This is just plain silly.

Having issues with lighting/ graphics where the front-sight of rifle is changing into colors it should not. It should always stay black, sure, the edges can glow a bit, but wow my whole sight turns the color of a tan wall at times. Strange

Edited by Riflewizard

where the choppers?

35 minutes ago, Riflewizard said:

Stop making the game so arcade. Please add an arcade mode. Everyone a medic, no one can die, pathetic.

We need more maps.

Why are we adding all these ridiculous spawn and arcade features to make game easier. Maybe if the maps had clear logistic routes we wouldn't need this, instead we get clusterF's of roads such as Chora.... The valley map... etc... no wonder we need shared rallies, who the hell is gonna drive a logi for 20 minutes?

Why can character sprint 100 meters but only sprint crawl 4 meters from full bar. This is just plain silly.

Having issues with lighting/ graphics where the front-sight of rifle is changing into colors it should not. It should always stay black, sure, the edges can glow a bit, but wow my whole sight turns the color of a tan wall at times. Strange

i agree to this comment

Posted (edited)

Am I the only one get fps lag while using turrets fo the vehicles? I have 60+ fps but lags while using turrets.

Also sometimes changing seats bugged. It starts but while at around 20% - 30% its stops and you can not change sits anymore and need to leave vehicle and enter it again and hope its not bug again.

Edited by DesertTigerTR

4 hours ago, Riflewizard said:

We need more maps.

You're entitled to your opinion, but many will disagree, hence my prior point.  I think people need to just slow down and play the game instead of nit picking.  Lol.

Anyone else having problems with animations for digging and placing mines/explosives not working?

OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS AMAZING NOW

i3 8100k

1050 ti mini

b360 pro

16gb ram 2666 mhz viper

windows 10

Literally used to play lowest settings at 120 fps, now I get 120 fps at the highest settings

The game is literally better than fapping now, and playing this game makes me feel like I lost my no fap streak

Speechless. This game is the future.

19 hours ago, TheRubbaPelican said:

Perhaps my point isn’t getting across. Movement speed does not dictate the style of the game, nor does it change the core elements. The team-oriented tactics and need to be careful with what you do is still very present and very real (so long as you wish to be successful). Until I see people blazing down streets turning every which way and dumping a magazine or jumping off buildings and 360° un-scoping people, it’s safe to conclude Squad is no Run’n’Gun.

Its not whether you see it right now, its the changes that are taking it along that path. 

Just now, embecmom said:

Its not whether you see it right now, its the changes that are taking it along that path. 

Good thing all changes are highly provisional and are subject to change. The game is so much better as it sits right now.

21 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

agreed, how do you remove someone that just wants to drive a tank without team interaction ..a valuable asset without admins.. as said many times one troll can screw the whole round depending on their level of window licking. 

3 minutes ago, ComplainersFFS said:

Good thing all changes are highly provisional and are subject to change. The game is so much better as it sits right now.

in your opinion.