Gatzby

Alpha 13 Patch Notes

3 hours ago, StonedAF said:

this game isnt a milsim

Honestly, that's a really tired argument. This games sole design goal was to bridge the gap between milsims and vacuous insta-gratification AAA fp shooters. This isn't just a step away from that; it's a giant leap and if players that don't agree with it don't voice their opinions (which they absolutely have and should) it's likely to go unchanged.

If this isn't a milsim why bother with RPs at all? Why not a 'spawn on SL' system? Why bother with all that tiresome sneaking, squad discipline, outflanking, out thinking, securing supply lines, establishing FOBs, sabotage, risk vs reward gameplay that sets this game and PR apart from the mundane?

If this is what you want out of Squad then fair dues but it definitely isn't where I want to see the game going. If it isn't addressed I'll wait for the guaranteed two or three servers worldwide that mod it out and return Squad to it's roots.

It's also just out.  We just got the patch, you guys need to just play it.

So, congrats for somthing new, we waiting smth a long enough, so lets tested out, see what we have.

I'm honestly expect a Challenger 2 for British forces as a contoversal for T-72 and T-62 and BMP's  series as for RU and Militia at least,cause IFV's already have UK and US - this should bring some balance on smaller non-tanks map's

But,maybe in next updates?

hqc0809jbre21.jpg

That sexy beasty. :)

Gotta say that im also surprised that you kept buddy rally and insta death removal... why even bother to make a playtest, a survey ,plus all that feedback from reddit, this forum a.o. i cant imagine that your overall feedback on these were positive. As almost everybody i talked to hated it and i was sure it wouldnt be in the final release considering the experimental status, yet here it is and it still sucks. I know that you need to grow but still, like others said, this game stands out because its different from your usual FPS shooter out there. And even if you dont want to create a game that has a arma like depth it should still be hardcore and hows there no insta death in something that at least borders milsim genre?! its just beyond me theres absolutley no need to even come up with real tactics if anyone can revive anybody at any time same goes for rallys whats the ****in point of building, securing and defending FOBs when  every SL can just swap rallys to anyone?! Im not trying to be rude but you are completley destroying the tactical essence of the game. Still apart from these, great patch, performance seems a little worse than in the PT but thats probably due to server differences.

Great optimization, even more fps than the public test. Very noticeable. I'm now getting 200+ frames in the menu and 120+ in most maps. Never drops below 100 for me.

2 hours ago, poncho86 said:

Gotta say that im also surprised that you kept buddy rally and insta death removal... why even bother to make a playtest, a survey ,plus all that feedback from reddit, this forum a.o. i cant imagine that your overall feedback on these were positive. As almost everybody i talked to hated it and i was sure it wouldnt be in the final release considering the experimental status, yet here it is and it still sucks. I know that you need to grow but still, like others said, this game stands out because its different from your usual FPS shooter out there. And even if you dont want to create a game that has a arma like depth it should still be hardcore and hows there no insta death in something that at least borders milsim genre?! its just beyond me theres absolutley no need to even come up with real tactics if anyone can revive anybody at any time same goes for rallys whats the ****in point of building, securing and defending FOBs when  every SL can just swap rallys to anyone?! Im not trying to be rude but you are completley destroying the tactical essence of the game. Still apart from these, great patch, performance seems a little worse than in the PT but thats probably due to server differences.

They're still experimental changes and can be thrown on the chopping board anytime. OWI from what I have seen them state is, they want a large percentage of players to play V13 and give feedback, as only a small percentage of players actually participated in v13 playtests.

Which from my perspective checks out, as on average only a single server was max population, with another usually half populated for 90% of the playtests, throughout multiple timezones.

I myself dislike buddy rally and insta death removal - But I understand why OWI want as much players as possible to actually play v13, and then give feedback.

Posted (edited)
  • Increased non-ADS standing movement speeds by 10%.
  • Adjusted 3P animation for movement speed.
  • Tweaked how ADS movement speeds work, so no matter which direction you go now you move at the same speed.
  • Shortened acceleration and deceleration speeds to make player movement a bit more responsive.

Thank you Devs for totally ruining Squad's soul (and also your vision ...)

Many have asked to decrease the speed (maybe trying a middle way? 5%) and go back to the old transitions - inertia - "momentum".

But I understand that you have to satisfy the "mass" ... that wants a more frenetic and immediate gameplay.

The increase in speed, the fastest transitions and the total lack of inertia of the soldier drastically changed the infantry gameplay. I completely lost the feeling I had with the old speed ... now it seems to me to play one of the thousand FPS that are around ... all the same for another. With super speed inevitably you lose cohesion between the squad , the single skill becomes much more important, the lone wolfing increases and the players dodge the bullets by  zig zag sprinting.

Playing in city maps, the perception of a more arcade game play is even greater. Sprint, stop, aim and snipe kill (all opts now) in a split second.

Infinite sadness about where the Devs want to go with their product ... I have always believed that their vision was the opposite.

But sales are sales

Edited by Tmac

A lot of interesting things, but I agree with Tmac. Speed and easy respawn will make the game faster, to accomodate CoD-like players wishes you don't care  about the tactical-players.

• Tweaked how ADS movement speeds work, so no matter which direction you go now you move at the same speed.

why? thats unrealistic no? and i hate seeing that in other games

Thought the movement of the soliders was motion captured, so shouldn't it be at that movement rate?

3 hours ago, Dubs said:

They're still experimental changes and can be thrown on the chopping board anytime. OWI from what I have seen them state is, they want a large percentage of players to play V13 and give feedback, as only a small percentage of players actually participated in v13 playtests.

Which from my perspective checks out, as on average only a single server was max population, with another usually half populated for 90% of the playtests, throughout multiple timezones.

I myself dislike buddy rally and insta death removal - But I understand why OWI want as much players as possible to actually play v13, and then give feedback.

Irony of it is; I was just reinstalling Squad today after some time off. Then I saw the patch notes and decided to wait until the next version. 

For all the great work the devs do on adding content to the game they sure do seem like to "fix" things that don't need fixing.

Great to see the engine improvements and new game mode in particular, much needed! 

Massively disappointed to see you kept the buddy rally and removed insta death. 

Dumbing down the game to encourage new players to join, at the expense of existing players. If we see a reaction and those existing leaders and SLs leave, the gameplay will deteriorate - and any new players will suffer even more. In fact they will suffer anyway as you better believe the experienced players will exploit these mechanics, and noobs will get frustrated. 

Real shame you are seemingly leaving behind your goals of striving to be at least a little like PR, and are going for the Apex/BF crowd. 

5 hours ago, Dubs said:

But I understand why OWI want as much players as possible to actually play v13, and then give feedback.

Can we still participate in the survey?

1 hour ago, Jeepo said:

Great to see the engine improvements and new game mode in particular, much needed! 

Massively disappointed to see you kept the buddy rally and removed insta death. 

Dumbing down the game to encourage new players to join, at the expense of existing players. If we see a reaction and those existing leaders and SLs leave, the gameplay will deteriorate - and any new players will suffer even more. In fact they will suffer anyway as you better believe the experienced players will exploit these mechanics, and noobs will get frustrated. 

Real shame you are seemingly leaving behind your goals of striving to be at least a little like PR, and are going for the Apex/BF crowd. 

insta death Im not so bothered about, it was a pia sometimes because through no fault of your own you would get wiped again ... it added nothing but a respawn to the game... ..

I do think that certain changes are pandering more to the Battlefield mob and that to me is a little sad to see, not because they are bad games but just because Squad seemed to want to be different, slower, more tactical... I have not been into squad for 6 months and I have nearly 3000 hours in it.. I have started to play alpha 13 and the only more tactical gameplay addition is the fog of war (a great addition), everything else to me is just about speeding up the Soldier and slowing his death, thus removing somewhat the feeling of vulnerability to ensure you look after yourself... so new players and Battlefield esq players can pick up the game more quickly and not feel as punished.    NOw you can just change your kit from a vehicle supplies ... this is a backward step imo ... going back to the days where you needed an RPG so you just died and spawned in as one... now you just need to go back to a vehicle to do so, it might help in instances where a new SL needs the kit admittedly. 

Optics for all .... I dont know how to feel about that.. perhaps it evens out the teams and creates more long range fights, but it also creates more camping loners, im not completely against it, but again feel this just panders to the iron sights squealers and let me choose my own kit mob... balance?? 

There is to me still very little in the game about being a team, yes one squad loses a tank it impacts the whole team but it does not in reality impact that squads ability to lose more tanks/vehicles etc... difficult to police I guess as a small tank squad could just keep creating new squads with different SL to get new vehicle... 

early days and Im just back into it, the only real difference now is that I think Ussain Bolt would have trouble keeping up with me even when Im carry and 80lb pack!

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Thegreenzzz said:

Why do we all hate “casual bf apex CoD players” so much?

I dont hate any of those players, but they have a choice of fast paced, 360 degree spin, ultra fast reload, weapon load out, unrealistic weapon recoil, kit loadout, weapon buff addition games ... I play pubg ..alot.. I dont want Squad to become that, I chose squad specifically because it appeared to have its own identity (albeit PR related which I never played btw) ....  I need to adapt to the play style of PUBG ... those that play battlefield / cod and apex need to decide to adapt to squads gameplay style..... I just feel right now with the current path the closer it gets to some supposed release, that the game it started out 3 years or so ago, will not be the one many bought into.    I mean its at a point where Im waiting for Hell let Loose to hit alpha to see if that is something interesting because PS was screwed up so much... but that may be an insurgency 2 (good game though) style WWII setting.  

Edited by embecmom

9 minutes ago, embecmom said:

I dont hate any of those players, but they have a choice of fast paced, 360 degree spin, ultra fast reload, weapon load out, unrealistic weapon recoil, kit loadout, weapon buff addition games ... I play pubg ..alot.. I dont want Squad to become that, I chose squad specifically because it appeared to have its own identity (albeit PR related which I never played btw) ....  I need to adapt to the play style of PUBG ... those that play battlefield / cod and apex need to decide to adapt to squads gameplay style..... I just feel right now with the current path the closer it gets to some supposed release, that the game it started out 3 years or so ago, will not be the one many bought into.    I mean its at a point where Im waiting for Hell let Loose to hit alpha to see if that is something interesting because PS was screwed up so much... but that may be an insurgency 2 (good game though) style WWII setting.  

Hell Let Loose is one of the best games in the last two years. I've played the last two Alpha's and jesus christ.

But that's not a topic for this thread. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the release and the better performance that comes with it. Looking forward to trying everything out.

Edited by fatalsushi

Yep. Same as other voices. My personal taste, and reason squad had been, to a large extent,  my only played game over the last couple of years,  dictates that the slower, more considered, more vaguely realistic focus is what I want, and ant moves away from that would be really felt. As others have said, though... pandering to me after I've already paid isn't really going to keep the coffers stuffed. 

4 hours ago, poika said:

Irony of it is; I was just reinstalling Squad today after some time off. Then I saw the patch notes and decided to wait until the next version. 

For all the great work the devs do on adding content to the game they sure do seem like to "fix" things that don't need fixing.

V13 is a solid patch, aside from a few things - I'd say give it a reinstall and test it out ;) 

1 hour ago, gshAT said:

Can we still participate in the survey?

The survey is closed, but based on this
survey.thumb.PNG.1d1d7bb11bcb4205dd7a9759772f3af4.PNG
Another is planned in 1 - 2 weeks.

42 minutes ago, fatalsushi said:

Thanks for the release and the better performance that comes with it. I have to say, though, I’m not sure what your vision is. Some versions ago there was talk about slowing down the game to promote more careful and tactical gameplay, which you guys started to successfully implement. But some of the major changes in this patch, like the faster, more agile movement and buddy rallies, seem to go against that vision. It seems like you’re trying to please different audiences all at once. Still, I’ll give it try and try to understand why you guys made these changes.

Exactly this.

From v10 the game has completely changed, according to the original vision of the Devs, towards a more realistic approach (in some aspects maybe too much).

Now, months and months later, suddenly, three versions later, we are faced with a completely different product. This thing is unsettling ... I can't understand where they want to go (maybe better not to know ..)

Beyond the perma death and buddy rally, the speed and transitions changed are surely the things that will make me move away from Squad.
Because Squad was "unique" in its kind, now it is no longer. Suddenly.

I hope that the Devs can answer about why a change so decided towards a game more "simple", fast and immediate.

I am personally for the movement changes

I found that the movement and gunplay is simply too slow and tedious to enjoy, in PR it was something special and unique, but Squad isn't PR. 

I don’t understand the lamentation over “the end of Squad as we know it”, the “this game is now (insert title here), it’s no longer special”. The basis of Squad (cooperation, tactics, infantry-based combat) is still intact and being improved. I get that the movement speed is a bit much, I get that the rally system isn’t what it was before, but in the end players still need to take combat slow (ensure they don’t make mistakes) and communicate with their team to be successful. They aren’t able to just run around mag-dumping into everything they see (if they want to be successful, that is).

I suppose what I really want to understand is why the movement speed increase or the rally system or the permadeath mechanic are a departure from the core elements of Squad. Does someone mind explaining?