BadVlad

Another way to deal with running speed in v13

Ive been following the discussions on running speed and there seem to be two major camps on the subject, one thinks the increased running speed makes the game too arcady/COD in close quarters ... and they are right, the other camp thinks the speed increase makes the game less of a running simulator, especially on large maps ... and they are also correct. I personally agree with both camps, i like the running speed but i dont like the arcady gameplay, i believe a way to properly fix the problem is to introduce a delay between running at full sprint and firing, that way a person taking it slower around a corner gets an advantage over someone sprinting around trying to speed frag, this way we get to keep the speed for large maps and remove the COD shooting garbage.

Posted (edited)

I agree with you. But I believe they should simply revert back to A12 running speed. It felt so much more realistic and it encouraged people to carefully use transport vehicles in fear of being forced to go on foot in case their vehicle was destroyed.

Edited by shipidge

Posted (edited)

The running speed is ridiculously fast, that I'm having a flash back from Battlefield 3.

Edited by Garensterz

Posted (edited)

Pressing forward puts you into your standard jog. Shift+forward puts you into v12's standard sprint. Double tapping shift+forward puts you into a 10% or even 15% sprint BUT with restricted left and right movement for long distance sprints.

Sorted, you can thank me later. B|

or get rid of the 10% sprint because it's a terrible idea in the first place. Just trying to make the most of a bad situation. 

Edited by Quadro

This isn't some kind of new concept in FPS games. Sprint speed should be directly linked to the specific weight of the role. The basic Rifleman should have the v13 sprint speed or maybe even a little faster and everyone else should get nerfed accordingly. A simple search on some of these loadout weights is nearly 80 lbs. once you factor in everything.

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

This isn't some kind of new concept in FPS games. Sprint speed should be directly linked to the specific weight of the role. The basic Rifleman should have the v13 sprint speed or maybe even a little faster and everyone else should get nerfed accordingly. A simple search on some of these loadout weights is nearly 80 lbs. once you factor in everything.

These days the weight that is carried is pretty uniform throughout the whole section/squad. 

Not to mention there's no need to fragment the squad with different run speeds in this game.

2 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

That would “make it harder for squad to stick together”

With just a basic search and rough math the Insurgent Fighter is at around 30 lbs. vs. the HAT at around 60lbs. Thats not even counting the shovel, lbe, etc. simply just the weapons and ammunition. Not even close.

Basically its the difference between a jog while holding the barrel of the gun down and a "run for your life" sprint where you are holding the rifle in a way that gives you the most speed. People do run very fast when crossing areas that have enemy fire but they generally hold their rifle to their chest (trained) or something like in one hand (militia/jihadis/whatever) when doing that "maximum speed", basically yes you can go really fast in order to cross a street or run to next cover but, you wont be firing immediately when doing this, there is going to be that split second for you to get the rifle back to ready and up, hence my original suggestion of a delay, if you are sprinting with shift and run into an enemy who is walking or jogging he should have a split-second advantage of having his gun closer to "ready to fire" even if he isnt holding it up and aiming down sights.

With this v13, Squad is becoming more and more arcade.
Infinite sadness

Posted (edited)

I thought it was ok, its the animations that make it look ridiculous... what have they done...

one guy I was following looked like he was running making the shape of M whilst do YMCA... now thats a squad video...

Ive not played since I think November the new fog of war is excellent but not sure why you would make the first flag available to see prior to the round start or am wrong?    Are we ever going to get a frontline territory style maps or is this it now?

Suppression is working well although Im a little confused by the explosions... its nice sound effect an all to hear splintering wood when a fence is hit but its still intact... do they have penetration damage I know there is no destructable  environment.  I got suppressed but no damage from an explosion..

Edited by embecmom

For me the it doesn't really matter. And no a simple running speed increase doesn't make the game arcade. However, what is definitely a nice change is the stamina recovery speed. In V12 it took ages for your stamina to refill, I think if the running speed goes back to v12 speed, the recovery should stay, or implement a canteen system like in PS or some variation of it. But what should be increased is the standard jogging speed while you can still point and shoot. It is too slow for CQB room clearing, you can't sprint since then you can't shoot. Maybe like a half sprint, that depletes the stamina slowly, but you are running faster than the standard jog, and you could still shoot. The accuracy penalty wouldn't matter much, since in CQB ranges pointing and shooting without ADSin is accurate enough to get the job done.

Saying different movement speed will fragment squad is like saying different weapons, roles, play styles, game experience will...

It's not a teamwork game if squad can't hold formation because of different movement speed.

On 4/27/2019 at 1:52 PM, shipidge said:

I agree with you. But I believe they should simply revert back to A12 running speed. It felt so much more realistic and it encouraged people to carefully use transport vehicles in fear of being forced to go on foot in case their vehicle was destroyed.

if this game was supposed to be realistic they would be selling it to the military not trying to sell it to us. the game needs to be "fun".

9 hours ago, Randall172 said:

if this game was supposed to be realistic they would be selling it to the military not trying to sell it to us. the game needs to be "fun".

I´m sorry but that´s not an argument. 

You can have both. Actually "realistic" means "fun" for some people. 

Speed in v13 is too high and for too long.

It is a bit fast, but I don't mind right now. Although it is a bit funny to be able to run so fast through cattails and swampy areas. I've hunted in cattails a lot and sometimes that can be real slow going, lol. 

I'm gonna have to change my statement. I did not support the speed change initially but the fast running wears off pretty quickly and then you're back to normal running. This seems pretty normal I mean you have a short amount of quick sprint to get out of a really bad situation. Maybe though you should be able to choose by double tapping shift if you want to use that sprint and then your stamina wears of even quicker.

I love realistic games. And I think the speed now is fine.

Maybe make the stamina replenish slower? Especially if it reaches the last 15%.

And players whose stamina drops below 20% have significant speed penalty and also minor aim penalty?

17 hours ago, Ronarch said:

I love realistic games. And I think the speed now is fine.

Maybe make the stamina replenish slower? Especially if it reaches the last 15%.

And players whose stamina drops below 20% have significant speed penalty and also minor aim penalty?

there is already a low stamina aim penalty

I was a bit skeptic on the new run speed at first because it felt cartoonishly fast compared to the pre-V13 run speeds. Having said that, it has grown on me and I can appreciate it because it doesn't take half a year to traverse a map (handy when your team has vehicles scattered needlessly and isn't transporting anyone). The new run speeds certainly don't appear to have negatively impacted the flow of the game, at least in my opinion.

16 hours ago, MeAWarChild said:

I was a bit skeptic on the new run speed at first because it felt cartoonishly fast compared to the pre-V13 run speeds. Having said that, it has grown on me and I can appreciate it because it doesn't take half a year to traverse a map (handy when your team has vehicles scattered needlessly and isn't transporting anyone). The new run speeds certainly don't appear to have negatively impacted the flow of the game, at least in my opinion.

Speed is addictive. Some anticipated that making it faster for some weeks would make it imposible to go back to v12 speed. Because even people who had no problem with v12 speed, and people who thought that v13 was too much at first will now be "addicted" to it. SO i´m pretty sure that any poll held 3+ weeks after the Increase would be favourable to v13 speed, not because it´s better, just because now people would feel "cripled" if they run at v12 speed again. It´s a one way path.

On the other hand, I have to admit I don´t understand the "traverse a big map" argument. I´ve read it many times but I just don´t see the point. Big maps aren´t to be traversed on foot. We have transports for that. So Infantry speed should never be in the same topic of map sizes. Nor should one be an excuse for the other.

Finally, I do think speed has impacted the game Flow. In 2 ways.

1- I had only seldom seen people hopping and running when under fire. In v13 it´s more and more common. People are realizing (including me) that when under fire rush in "zig-zag" kind of style to hard cover is much more effective than hitting the dirt. And as people feel safer doing that, they simply move around the map in a much relaxed matter, because they know if nme opens op on them they can just run.

2- And this is the biggest. Combined with BUDDY RALLY and NO INSTA DEATH, this has affected game Flow a LOT! People feel safer, and if they die, they can be revived and try to crawl to cover or keep engaging, same thing, because my medic is next to me and he has lot´s of bandages!!!. And even if everything goes to hell. I can always spawn in any of the rallies around. 

Don´t take me wrong. Speed in v13 is the least of my worries. I could do with it, although it´s too fast. But the 3 of them together have changed the way this game is played. For good or bad, it´s changed.

There are still tactical decisions of course, but THERE IS NO NEED TO TAKE THOSE TACTICAL DECISIONS SERIOUSLY ANYMORE. IF a plan failed, try another one in 30 seconds, and that goes for the individual soldier and for the whole squad.

Edited by Nightingale87

1 hour ago, Nightingale87 said:

But the 3 of them together have changed the way this game is played. For good or bad, it´s changed.

There are still tactical decisions of course, but THERE IS NO NEED TO TAKE THOSE TACTICAL DECISIONS SERIOUSLY ANYMORE. IF a plan failed, try another one in 30 seconds, and that goes for the individual soldier and for the whole squad.

Totally agree and I have made the exact same observations. I'm very curious about the second survey results.