Sign in to follow this  
Supreme Chairman

List of Suggestions (with justifications) on FOB building system.

1. Remove or increase FOB item construction cap. Let the playerbase decide how much resource should be invested into a fob instead of an artificial cap of two machine guns on a tripod. Having a cap on construction limits does not circumvent trolling, it instead only limits functional effectiveness of capitalizing on defensive posture. And not to mention, creativity. If we really need to put a cap on things...then let's atleast increase the cap with a caveat like needing to  upgrade your radio by needing another SL to put one down right next to it to increase cap.

2. Be more lenient on the construction placement of items in reference to terrain clipping. It's insanely infuriating when a sandbag or ladder can't be put on a particular surface that would be justified in common sense and reality but can't because it's one micron out of the model box.

3. Reduce cost of certain defensive structures such as HESCO barriers. Why does 8 boxes full of sand cost more than the spawn bunker itself? It's almost disincentivizing building defensive materials since they cost so damn much. Greatly reduce  ammo crate costs. Following from a materials handling standpoint, why does simply moving the ammo physically from the truck cost construction points? Does the small wooden pallet (that the ammo sits on) really cost 100 construction points? 

4. Expand the current selection of defense structures. There's a crapload of ingame props that I guarantee would make for good FOB structures like the blown up cars could be used for INS as torso high cover. Or maybe the deer stand in Belaya could be available to Militia as like a makeshift guard tower. Possibilities are quite endless.

EDIT: Hit enter earlier while writing this making a half finished post. Didn't know how to delete it.

Edited by Supreme Chairman

On the first thing, I would say that a part of the limit is probably performance. If somebody spams MGs everywhere with no limit it will likely impact performance. Additionally it would be horrible for any vehicle squad to attack a fob if there were 6 or more TOWS or SPGs set up around it. Sure it would add to the area denial but then in combination with the machine guns it would practically be impossible to destroy a manned super fob.

On the second thing, is probably just a glitch and I agree that some placements should be possible like stacking hesco's with ladders to get up higher roofs and such.

On the third thing, in my opinion some mechanics around the point system should be reworked, preferably in to a crate like system. But the arbitrary costs of setting up certain structures will always be arbitrarily so some things don't get spammed and others are available when starting to build. It is mostly just a matter of balancing of which is more important and thus should cost more.

7 hours ago, liamNL said:

On the first thing, I would say that a part of the limit is probably performance. If somebody spams MGs everywhere with no limit it will likely impact performance. Additionally it would be horrible for any vehicle squad to attack a fob if there were 6 or more TOWS or SPGs set up around it. Sure it would add to the area denial but then in combination with the machine guns it would practically be impossible to destroy a manned super fob.

Crew served weapon spamming costs a crap load of resources, which in itself, would be a deterrent toward putting up  a million MGs. However, in those once in a blue moon games, I can definitely see someone trolling and putting a shit ton of crew served weapons in inappropriate positions for the novelty of it. But I still strongly suggest that the cap of weapons be increased even if we have to put certain caveats or strings attached to limit weapons. Thus, I propose that to increase crew served weapons cap, you need multiple SLs (atleast 2) to drop a radio on the same position. You lose out on the capability of two regular sized fobs for a super fob. I always hate speaking about hypothetical practicality so I believe balancing on a quid pro quo basis is justified.

Edited by Supreme Chairman

I really like the idea of a crate system, personally using infantry to move supply’s might make logistics more involved

On 4/23/2019 at 12:19 AM, Thegreenzzz said:

I really like the idea of a crate system, personally using infantry to move supply’s might make logistics more involved

how would you view that feature as fun though? 

2 hours ago, shipidge said:

It just sounds like you love building super FOB's from my point of view.

Lol!... You took the words off my mouth dude!

Having fob defensive asset building limit is excessive.
We are talking exactly MGs, ATGMs and LADDERS here, as nothing else is limited
Fob assets already have heavy restriction on supplies to build anything. Team has heavy restriction on manpower to man all assets, + transport to keep supplying it. Assets itself aren't effective 90% of the time, due to being static and limited in angle of engagement and overall weak defensibility of the operator.

But as "almost future-complete game", your only hope is the modding now.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:19 AM, Thegreenzzz said:

On 7/24/2019 at 5:52 AM, Supreme Chairman said:

how would you view that feature as fun though?

Instead of squad having this imaginary blue circle that transports ammo through the air to whereever its needed inside that circle, there would be physical ammo crates dropped from vehicles that anyone could get kits or rearm off of(teamlocked). To rearm emplacements you would need a rifleman to bring ammo from the crate to the emplacement, through the use of an ammo bag. The same as PR.

I've always disliked the imaginary teleportation of ammo, and the fact I can't make a quick ammo dump without a radio. Why can't my M-ATV or apc drop a quick cache of ammo for my engineer to use and lay mines? Why do I have to stay there the entire time. Emplacements can come with ammo when built, and from there more can be loaded up. Possibly even making it so that emplacements auto draw ammo from crates within a close proximity to reduce the amount of microing.

On 7/27/2019 at 3:35 PM, Rainmaker said:

I miss building firebases, they ****ed it up completely.

i wouldnt put it this strongly but it is disappointing that constricting cover and modifying the environment has so little value to current a15.1 meta.

it is so easy to overrun a hab from outside a wall that any obstruction to the people spawning is a negative. in most cases building any type of structure opens more access points due to climbing. Typically most people just create prisons for the people spawning. It is also so easy for a vic to destroy expensive "hasco" walls etc that they are simply a waste of build points(havent tested recently).

In most cases spotting a squad spending time building on the map is just an early indication that that fob will be lost and that SL is not going to contribute to the team.

I recognise the need to slow the meat grinder. Hence the 30m radius with 2 enemies to block.

suggestions I have to fix the hab area and make defensive structures more valuable are (brainstorm suggestions):

• a reduced blocking radius, make them get within 15m or less to count toward blocking.
  • larger compounds so the hab does not have to be so close to a perimeter. Varies per map... sometimes jamming a hab in a single building is the only option 
  • reminder indicator for the SL (particularly new ones) that they do not have a rally point. Having a rally as a backup can save a hab, many people don't do this unfortunately.
  • warning devices? guard dog that barks, trip wire, alarm eg when razor wire is cut (make it cost extra or take longer to build).
  • make things more resistant to destruction.
  • make depoyables more variable.
  • figure out a more freeform building system that can work without a radio or has some differences:
    eg1 a radio with no hab makes no sound. This way a radio could be placed to allow building but be harder to find, increased flexibility. 
    eg2 make the fob deployment radius based on hab instead of the radio.

All just suggestions, criticise with your own suggestions.