The main reason for having the SVD is because its better. You have a scope that is much better for accurate long range shooting and you have a bullet that do more damage at longer ranges. You also dont have tracers.

You can fire both decently fast and accurate at longer ranges. You need to be able to control the recoil (bring the gun back to the point you are shooting at) and control your breath. It takes some practice but its not overly complicated. If you for ex briefly release the shift button between the shots you can avoid having to stop and breathe until the mag is empty. Up to 3-400 meters you can fire ~1 round per second with decent accuracy. You will not hit with every round but the enemy will be very aware that you are shooting at them...

The usual problem for a marksman is that sooner or later, often sooner, the enemy will spot you and start to shoot back. And since you are a stationary target it is likely that they are going to hit you. Too many marksmen stands in a window or on a roof and are easily spotted. They usually die from a head shot before they can react. And thats why i prefer to go without a bipod. Most places where you can set up a bipod efficiently also leaves you exposed and an easy target for enemy marksmen. I prefer to be more mobile and shoot from less obvious positions.

But as ive said: If people wants a bipod they can have them as long as it doesnt unbalance the game, but i prefer to be without it.

9 hours ago, Pluto is a planet said:

The main reason for having the SVD is because its better. You have a scope that is much better for accurate long range shooting and you have a bullet that do more damage at longer ranges. You also dont have tracers.

The only part of this that is valid is that the scope is somewhat better compared to the standard Russian magnified optic, however every single other conventional magnified optic far outclasses the PSO

In terms of damage, the GPMGs are close enough and also have 10 times the mag size, a bipod which makes follow up shots much easier and in the case of M240B a better optic

if anything the tracers make ranging easier

the SVD for the Russian team serves no purpose, the PKP makes it completely irrelevant and it can't compete even with the standard ACOG M4, let alone the M110, M240B or M249 + M345 or any British weapon

You can fire 1 somewhat accurate round every second? With an MG you can fire 5-10 per second with even more accuracy out to further ranges and with a much bigger mag

It's not as good as the US and GB DMR optics but it does have like double the magnification of the 1p78. 1p78, GB ACOG and SUSAT have the same (weak) magnification, the only true 4x optics are the SVD, US m150 and 1p29

SVD is the best DMR for most maps because of damage. For the other DMRs the optic is the only thing going for them.

6 minutes ago, Good-Try Greg said:

It's not as good as the US and GB DMR optics but it does have like double the magnification of the 1p78. 1p78, GB ACOG and SUSAT have the same (weak) magnification, the only true 4x optics are the SVD, US m150 and 1p29

SVD is the best DMR for most maps because of damage. For the other DMRs the optic is the only thing going for them.

What? The damage isn't even 10% more than the M110, in exchange you get double the mag size, a far better optic and a quicker reload.

The 1p78 is 2.8x and the GB ACOG and SUSAT are both 4x, even if they weren't it wouldn't matter as the British DMR is 6x and is probably the best optic in the game.

Best marksman in the game currently is the insurgent medic with SKS. That's not how it should be.

14 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Best marksman in the game currently is the insurgent medic with SKS. That's not how it should be.

Yeah, accurate and good rate of fire with low recoil for follow up shots. Low ammo on the medic though, but atleast you don't have to worry about sway due to injury penalty. Good in cqc too.

SKS with scope is a really sweet gun. It works for the distances you normally shoot at. One of my favorites. The SUSAT and 1p29 is no longer adjustable in distance so they are now quite useless at longer ranges. ACOG and 1p78 are better at longer range but imo it is harder to aim and adjust with them than with the PSO.

Bipods would be a nice solution for getting that crucial second shot to down an enemy when you put the time and effort into getting a nice position. Optics on 90 degree FOV can hit most anything a marksman can and get the follow-up shot off before most people react to the first shot. Marksman has trouble controlling the second shot at range if you want to hit them again before they move. Bipod would help differentiate the roles and give the marksman an advantage when set up. DMRs should outclass optics at range when set up if we want the classes to be balanced. Until then, I'll always pick optic for the large mag and simple cqc.

On 10/05/2019 at 9:22 AM, oTec said:

Yeah, accurate and good rate of fire with low recoil for follow up shots. Low ammo on the medic though, but atleast you don't have to worry about sway due to injury penalty. Good in cqc too.

As someone who plays medic more than any other class I find the decision to give the class marksman capabilities rather strange. Binoculars yes, zoom optics....why? Every medic class now is a better marksman with the insurgent sks with 7.62x39 the best imho.

Please OWI drop the medic zoom optics option and buff the marksman that plays to the roles strength without going so far to turn them into a sniper class.

5 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Please OWI drop the medic zoom optics option and buff the marksman that plays to the roles strength without going so far to turn them into a sniper class.

all for

20 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

As someone who plays medic more than any other class I find the decision to give the class marksman capabilities rather strange. Binoculars yes, zoom optics....why? Every medic class now is a better marksman with the insurgent sks with 7.62x39 the best imho.

good way to make sure no one picks medic

13 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

good way to make sure no one picks medic

Fake news. I'd still happily go medic and i am sure many other team players would as well.

44 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Fake news. I'd still happily go medic and i am sure many other team players would as well.

Since the optic change for medic, i always have 1x medic in my squad without having to ask for a medic.

2 hours ago, oTec said:

Since the optic change for medic, i always have 1x medic in my squad without having to ask for a medic.

And do they play medic or marksman? 

It's a mixed bag, but most of them tend to fill their medic duty to some degree. No less or more than before the optic change.

downgrading the medic results in people picking the role that actually know what being a medic is about.

I think i never had a squad where a medic realizes that he shouldn't be the one up front, and shouldn't be 50 meters away from every other team member ((exaggerating) what an abomination of a word once you type it!)

Whatever the state of the medic is, people generally lack a scence of being part of a bigger sheme. A medic not engaging because it's better if he revives teammates then getting shot is simply to much asked from a person that comes online to play squad and have fun.

Only people who posses the quality of putting youreself in second place sometimes are noble enough to be a good medic.

On 2019-05-13 at 6:53 AM, Pharanaiton said:

Only people who posses the quality of putting youreself in second place sometimes are noble enough to be a good medic.

Or those who aim for top revives, which often includes getting into the action. Medic optics make sense in that they can engage from a safer distance. I'd like to see the option to ditch the optic for an extra frag grenade in CQC situations. The nade buff in v9 was such a welcome change as it made clearing enemies near a teammate's body that much simpler in CQC.

6 minutes ago, pinko said:

Or those who aim for top revives, which often includes getting into the action. Medic optics make sense in that they can engage from a safer distance. I'd like to see the option to ditch the optic for an extra frag grenade in CQC situations. The nade buff in v9 was such a welcome change as it made clearing enemies near a teammate's body that much simpler in CQC.

Some sort of rear-guard medic and a more frontline type medic. (just improvising)

4 minutes ago, Pharanaiton said:

Some sort of rear-guard medic and a more frontline type medic. (just improvising)

Pretty much. Put your optic medic on an overwatch fireteam and the red dot/iron sights on the assault. Breach behind rifleman nades; use assault medic nades to clear surviving enemies if your riflemen go down; bound up the overwatch fireteam; revive, heal, repeat.