Gatzby

Alpha 13 Public Test, Round 1

What happend to the EU servers last night? Only saw Montreal and later Vancouver.

Posted (edited)

I dont get the logic or the idea behind the new Rally System.

We had Cooker-FOBs which were considered as too gamey because of ppl teleporting through map without effort and already had a complete revamp of logistics and FOB mechanics as a consequence   And now you do the same with rallys? Feels like a light Version of Cooker FOBs.

Back in the days i was quite used to them and didnt considered them too bad but now i really wouldnt want to have them back.

Hope that this Rally System doesnt make it to the final patch.

The removal of the Ping System im already missing. Its simply overcomplicating Communication. As he perfectly said:

6 hours ago, Skidborg said:

In my mind, first teamwork needs to happen, then we can think about making it artificially more challenging.

Only thing i could imagine to "nerve" the Ping is that it would only be visible to SL.

Actually im starting to give myself the creeps when im thinking of all the squadchatter again of "H8-KP9-SubKP7" to only mark the soldier i already marked a minute ago which has now moved to another rock 10 meters away.

Squad already was too fast for this kind of communication before the increase of Movementspeed. But OK i think i can live with that but dont want to.

And Thanks for trying to balance the vehicles again and also for making progress to RAAS.

PS:

Removing the Rangefinder on FTLs is great. Was getting upset because of the misuse of FTL

Thinking of Mortars: Can we (Sls) pls get a seperate mortartarget marker (with range ofc) which doesnt reset when setting an attack or move order?

and speaking of Markers, especially when this new Rallything is seriously beeing considered ... can we pls also get an enemy Rally Marker?

PPS:

Disabling FOBS inside a Vehicle still possible? Pls reconsider!

Edited by gshAT

Ping removal is great, this game is all about communication and the pings made it very easy and arcadey but the insta death removal is a very bad move for obvious reasons. Don't want Battlefield-style revive fights

Posted (edited)

When i'm squad leading and someone starts throwing grids at me, i don't even bother with it.

Takes too long, just give me a "NW of the cap, 100m out" or whatever landmark and go from there.

Will miss the ping.

Edited by oTec

Posted (edited)

same here ... there are some situations where you need the exact location of someone or something but you as a SL have to filter alot "useless" information.  With pings or without pings.

7 hours ago, BatSithCrazy. said:

What you have ended up with is, "ENEMY ON MY PING, LOOK AT MY PING, OMG PING! PING!...

Only thing even worse is, "Enemy on H3K2SubK4, SL mark Soldier at H3K2SubK4, OMG LOOK, He runs now to H3K2SubK5! SL Mark him!"

In both cases the correct way to communicate would be:

19 minutes ago, oTec said:

"NW of the cap, 100m out"

Edited by gshAT

A Fog-of-War element has been added to all RAAS layers.

I love you guys for finally implementing this, this is something i've been wanting even for regular AAS since like 2016.

Random AAS now has Lanes added to all RAAS_v1 map layers.

Seems legit.

Ticket bleed has been added back to all AAS and RAAS gameplay layers.

I know a big group of people who wanted this, i myself don't care too much, but this might bring back some of the old competetive community (who keep whining that they want V9 back).

The opposing team will start bleeding tickets if you will successfully capture at least one objective on the enemy side of the flag lattice. For each objective on the enemy part of the map, controlled by your team, the enemy will lose 1 ticket per minute.

Seems good, not too excessive like it was back in V9.

Added the ability for Squad Leaders to place rally points remotely next to other squad’s Rally Points.

This one i really don't like the sound of. I understand the waiting time between combat moments can be a bit boring, but it makes the actual combat more exciting. I honestly do not believe this is a good thing.

REMOVAL OF THE INSTA-DEATH PENALTY TIMER ON REVIVE

Will have to wait and see how this goes tbh.

The FTL markers will have their Rangefinding function removed.

Thank you.

• Removed the ‘Map Pinging’ feature that squad mates could use to send their SL a ping by right clicking on the map

I kind of like the feature, but i can see why it didn't exactly encourage the proper teamwork Squad wants to have.

MORTAR / 30MM / 120MM HE DAMAGE RANGE INCREASE

Thank you, finally!

BTR-82A & BTR-80

Thank you.

Increased non-ADS standing movement speeds by 10%

Will have to wait and see how this one plays out, 10% isn't all that notable tbh, so it might just be fine.

• Increased visual ‘z-axis’ recoil animation, increasing the visual kick back towards the camera.

Does this do anything for the player?

Posted (edited)

Just watched some videos on Youtube. Didn't play yet.

1. Running speed: I think the current speed is totally fine. However looking at the videos I could imagine a double tap on the sprint key to boost your speed to reach the next cover. But at all changes aren't necessary in my opinion.
  2. Stamina UI change: the stamina in the middle totally destroys immersion for me. Please put it back to the side again. Contrary to the compass this is a non essential information and therefore shouldn't be visible in the center.
  3. Rally Point System:  I can agree with the others about bad placement or too agressive play style but using this system as some kind of quick response force is a lovely idea. "Squad 2, this is Squad 1 we need immediate assistance" and SL 2 can transfer his team spawn nearby. On the other side this rewards or counters just lazy communication from the beginning. I think this is another change the deviates from the "Next steps" post a while ago and opens unnecessary tasks. Seems priority within the dev team is a bit unfocused.
  4. Transparency in changes:  Awesome move see point 3 which seems a bit off while many other long term issues aren't handled yet. On the other side experiments in pre-release versions are always legit. With more transparency  and community communication this can only be a win-win for all of us in the long run. Thumbs up!
  5. Insta-Death:  this is a feature I really liked because it forced players to stay a bit more defensive after revive and prevented run and gun play to a certain degree. "We hope this new change has a positive effect on game flow, and proximity based teamwork within squads (and intra squad as well)." - We will see how this works out but too often I revived some one and he just run into the next death without checking his surroundings. Pure Battlefield style. Another idea for the devs to increase teamwork: increase revive speed(medic has more impact but less revive animation watching) but players can only move after a few seconds and then can't run immediately. Or after faster revive the players do some kind of self healing animation to get back up. But punishing too agressive movement after just being revived was a good game mechanic in the first place and I always was angry about myself if I was pushing too early.
  6. RAAS changes: wonderful and I'm already tired of this stupid rush ahead tactics because so usually squads didn't stick together and every Squad was moving towards a different goal. Love this change. :x
  7. Ping removal: for me pings were always buggy and sometimes had a huge delay. I think it was a good instrument for newcomers. Not a real opinion yet. v10 and v11 did well without it too.

So far my first impressions. Thanks @BoresightGaming for the good first v13 video.

Edited by Mauti
clarified impact on medic

Posted (edited)

Allready new META in squad, fastest way of exploiting new RP sys. 

One squad leader rushes proximity of the forward cap on AAS, because Fog of War is broken in AAS. 

(If you know the layout of the flags, the fog of war don’t matter in AAS as the caps are not randomised, and the caps come up in the order they always did, all u need to do is memorise the flag locations.)

The SL that rushes the cap, puts a RP down and all other SLs waiting in spawn put their own RPs on his and spawn-rush at the cap.

GJ on breaking the rush meta and creating zerg meta, thru really points.

Edited by BatSithCrazy.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BatSithCrazy. said:

Allready new META in squad, fastest way of exploiting new RP sys. 

One squad leader rushes proximity of the forward cap on AAS, because Fog of War is broken in AAS. 

(If you know the layout of the flags, the fog of war don’t matter in AAS as the caps are not randomised, and the caps come up in the order they always did, all u need to do is memorise the flag locations.)

The SL that rushes the cap, puts a RP down and all other SLs waiting in spawn put their own RPs on his and spawn-rush at the cap.

GJ on breaking the rush meta and creating zerg meta, thru really points.

LEt me take that back. sorry it's very over powered. apologies. Tried it and damn. 

Edited by Smee

Sounds like a great change list, certainly worth testing.

• Rally change sounds pretty scary. Meta will define this one for sure.
  • Speed increase along with stamina sounds great for infantry. It may bring more arcade feel to the game and attract more players. How it balances with other aspects will only be apparent through testing. I hope it makes it to the full release (i dont often take part in tests as my dld speed is measured in lunar cycles....)

Hey, just spent a day on the Public Test, thought I'd share some of my thoughts both good and bad! =) 

Game Engine Update!

I'm not sure how much of this has been intentional optimisation or just engine update. But I have seriously seen a drastic improvement upon old performance, the game looks sharper, I can identify targets at longer distance, see movement through leaves (not full foliage, but US camo through a tree when I'm in a window I saw) and it doesn't tax my system as much, frame rate holds up! This is a great improvement for me, being able to clearly make out more detail at distance without face hugging the screen is really nice. I am seeing the occasional crash, but I'm being a good tester and sending the feedback! It usually happens during map change for me. Can't really say much more about this as I'm not sure the changes under the hood, but this, this I really like =)

Vehicles seem incredible vulnerable, but buffed, which is cool. I'm getting behind the fact we can remove wheels from a car, means we can disable Logi's badly placed and keep them hostage. To counter this, maybe a way of destroying a friendly vehicle without the negative squad score? Still loose tickets, but you don't take a negative 'friendly' kill? That and maybe less ticket loss? So a gamble of the Attacker, either destroy the wheels, leave it hostage for infrastructure reasons, however you obviously don't get to ticket hit the enemy. If the enemy can 'destroy' the vehicle, a smaller ticket hit is taken, just for the fact they bothered to go out and destroy it appropriately? Just a small idea, rambling on the back of vehicles.

Game Modes / Meta

I've played more destruction than the other RAAS, It's currently pretty hard to get a foothold in the games I've been playing but I think this is more due to teamwork than the actual game. The UI for the map could do with some changes, I think the Orange lines without more direction feels a bit old school game UI. Either a more utilitarian style or a sleeker look could be a nice change?

The RAAS I have played, Seemed a really fun setup, players still rushed, but more for scouting, however I noticed on the smaller maps, they scouted all the way to the enemy base, I'm not sure how to completely fix this rush, It was a tad sad to see our heavy armour just roll straight up the main highways, I suppose you could lock it down by hiding the main, but then even the meta, most of us would know where it is? The locations as well, definitely could use a change of being further or zig zag, I found after the first two flags it became kinda easy to see and what distance they'd be. I don't know if this was just because I played one game, or if the change you made to the zones will mean it will always be a nice distance for the flags. If that's the case, it would be nice to have a small change of the RAAS having something wild, like the zigzag of the manually created maps. Just for the spice of uncertainty.

Squad Changes

1 Medic - I'm really getting behind the medic being less essential as a piece of glass, it makes asking as an SL for a single medic a lot less daunting. They are still essential for the role of an effective squad, but the scope addition means they can fight, and as a player not spend a good hour only looking at a bandage or hiding, maybe less realistic but a smooth way to make it more player taken.

Combat Engineer - A sound addition! Like the fact he can dig quicker and has the ability to place defensible objects, he can work with HMG or Marksmen a lot as a FT to help secure an area or choke point, I'm hoping he doesn't just end up being the shovel bitch though, however the mines, C4 and what not should make him able to move around and be rather versatile. If the squad all builds HABS etc, he should really only be there for his speed on his own quick 'pick me up' fortifications. His ability to help vehicles to should make him a good asset when trying to work with other squads, cool tank stranded imagination here. 

FTL Changes - A good choice to remove range finder, it takes a hit for mortars but honestly seeing many 1 man FTL as a LAT kinda ruined it for me, made it difficult for vehicles and encouraged more isolated play. It's a shame I haven't seen many changes to the way squads have been working though since this implementation. Perhaps an FTL role, with bino's or extra ammo in the bag? So that he can keep his Fire Team up and active? I'm not sure on this, I just know it would be decent to have more Fire Team orientated play, feel this was a much needed change so thanks for that!

New Map changes / UI - Love being able to draw a direction line, really smooths the process out for which way a vehicle is going or an overall movement, can help chain bounds together, I do dislike how I click on it, then have to click the next drop down, for only one option to select, it would be a small point but just an urk. Would like this to be a tad quicker and smoother.

Rally System - Yeah.... This is a serious no from me. I actually like the fact as an SL I no longer need to run back every couple of tickets, I like the fact they now make sound, further highlighting such a valuable and time consuming asset to be placed, more thought needs to go into it. I do honestly see what was trying to be accomplished with the new idea as well, as at one point I found myself changing ours to assist Sq2. However, 1 moment of video game teamwork, vs a lot of the now rushed meta, careless action makes it not worth while, removing a squad in a desperate firefight, to find yourself flanked by a second squad now only means one thing, you'll face a zombie esque style of onslaught until ammo is depleted as you try to Easter egg hunt for all the rally's quickly before they can spawn and continue. Happy to have it in the for the public test for tweaking, but overall not feeling this vibe.

Speed - I actually I'm okay with this, Hope I don't ruffle too many feathers with this choice! The animation could use some tweaks so it's a tad more natural, it currently really does look sped up, but the sense of urgency now as I do a dash across a street is felt =) 

Hope this covers most of it, anything else I think to add I'll mention! Thanks for taking the time to produce such a fab update =) 

10 hours ago, EA_SUCKS said:

yeah, I have been here since 2014, and I also think some moves have been made towards a style of game CoD or BF, which sucks

I hope OWI wont keep making these changes to Squad, otherwise Im gonna have to change my nickname to OWI_SUCKS, no offense

* Chokes * Nothing I mean nothing is worse than EA... :P

Maybe giving rally’s limited waves would be a good idea? Kind of like a hybrid of the old and new systems?

Posted (edited)

UNINSTALLING SQUAD AND GOING TO PLAY Battlefield V, CALL OF DUTY, COMBAT ARMS.

What a hell is wrong with our devs? I want my money back!

REMOVAL OF THE INSTA-DEATH PENALTY TIMER ON REVIVE

PLAYER MOVEMENT SPEED INCREASED BALANCE CHANGES

• Increased non-ADS standing movement speeds by 10%.

PLAYER MOVEMENT SPEED INCREASED BALANCE CHANGES

• Increased non-ADS standing movement speeds by 10%.
Edited by danielritual

Positive feedback-

- Optimization is fantastic, great work

- New UI elements are fine but I think the stamina bar should return to its normal position

- I really like the fog of war RAAS

I figured I should post some positive feedback too because obviously this patch isn't even close to bad . I just hope you guys rethink the buddy rally and run speed stuff.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Quick thoughts:

* Everything seems so much smoother - assume this is due to the improved optimisation - real nice!

* Running speed just seems too fast now (imo). Most crucially when in close quarters room-to-room type action- running in the oppo direction to an enemy, passes like a blur!

* Map updates seem great - so much extra detail/buildings/terrain  going on in Talil for instance is mega.

* The inst-spawn on HAB might take some getting used to, already spawned wrong place couple of times by mistook.

* Like others, not sure I am keen on the rally - on -rally placement. Mainly as feels like dumbing down planning, and removes impetus from lazy SL's/teams to organise good FOB+HAB placements.

* Personally don't like the new rally 'radio' sound.

* Obviously  lot of crashing between rounds - not every time, but very frequent. Assume playtest will generate the info dump required to chase down the culprit code.

That's what springs to mind immediately. Some real good progress, some experimenting maybe needs some fine-tuning.

-----------------------------------------------

** Further thoughts on small issues occuring repeatedly:

* Leaning variable whether working or not. Can't see anything consistent about why yes/no.

* Can't seem to build damaged radio back up, only option 'rmb' for dig down.

* Assume all the orange lines on demo mode are a temporary UI and will be fancied up for full v13 release.

* Happy enough with concept of match start FoW, although would be good if more randomised flag locations introduced otherwise experienced players know exactly what is going to occur even without initial flags.

Edited by Scorchi
Further updates

The Good

* New engine upgrade has resulted in dramatically improved frame rates and better performance. This is obviously fantastic and was worth the wait for all by itself. Looking forward to further improvements as the 4.21 engine is better understood and other features are better utilized to improve performance on both the client and the server.

* Nice to see new assets added to the game: Spandrel and TOW MATV are welcome additions.

* Shoveling changes are nice, both visually as well as in terms of game play (and helping new players understand what mouse buttons to hit).

* Removal of destroyed vehicles - finally! Great change!

* Removal of ping and FTL ranging: thank you! Squad should be about communication and coordination. While I was initially uncertain about these changes, I have to agree with them now.

* Fog of War on RAAS and lanes on RAAS: Fantastic change to keep the game play relatively fresh on most maps. Controlling territory and recon elements are important now. Obviously on some maps - especially Tallil - you're still going to have a rush to the middle no matter what you do, but that is a map problem and not the fault of the game mode.

The Bad

* Movement and Stamina. This is a mixed bag. The speed increase is a mixed bag. It's a game, not a real life simulator, so the speed increase in concept is fine. The implementation is entirely different, though. Your speed is too fast now, but to me it's much more complex than that.

Your speed should be more tied directly to your stamina. If you have full stamina, then being able to sprint and accelerate is fine. As your stamina decreases, you should become more fatigued and winded, naturally slowing down (and not as able to control the sight picture of your weapon - more on that later). Perhaps something like full speed up to 50% of your stamina and then slowing proportionally to your remaining stamina. I know you slow now as your stamina reaches the "red" level, but your stamina should really have a noticeable impact long before that point.

However, what is completely wrong is how *fast* your stamina regenerates now. I agree with how quickly it burns as you continue to sprint, but it also regenerates to full at the same pace, being full again in around 10 seconds or so. Sorry, but someone running full tilt with a rifle in their hands, loaded down with ammunition and whatever gear they have strapped on their backs isn't going to sprint 120m or so at full tilt, stand still for 10 whole seconds and fully recover enough to sprint full speed for another 120m. Yes, it's a game, but this is the kind of movement found in other shooters, so why are you trying to copy it?

Add in what seems to be reduced sway when you're fully winded (0 stamina) and how quickly it recovers, and you're to the point of everyone having pew-pew laser beams. There is no "punishment" for players sprinting around the whole time. It's a complete paradigm shift from the game that Squad was apparently aiming to be over the past 3 or 4 years. It's absurd to the point of needing to ask why there is even a stamina bar in the game if it is so inconsequential? Just get rid of it, let people sprint all game like: Apex, CoD, BF, Fortnite and on and on and on and be done with it.

* Buddy rally: A million and one ways to exploit this new system. The first question that needs to be asked is this: What was so broken with the rally and HAB system up through v12 that made someone think that allowing SLs to place a rally on any other rally was the fix? Seriously. What was the issue that this change was designed to fix? Experimental or not, it's a horrible idea and, much like the movement/stamina change, completely contrary to the type of game Squad was promoted as being. I hope it is done away with, and quickly.

If the problem is logistics and team spawning issues, then make changes to the over-run system and the durability of HABs, make changes to the logistics system and add more transportation (which is coming with helicopters anyway). Over-run could be changed to mirror the flag cap mechanic - require 3+ more enemy alive in the over-run radius than defenders to disable the spawn. Make players use C4 to actually destroy the HAB structure. Severe the tie between a radio and a HAB, so once the HAB is built it doesn't matter if the radio is destroyed or not - the HAB remains until it is destroyed. Reduce the minimum distance between radios so HABs can be built closer together and therefore closer to the attack/defend points. There has to be dozens of little tweaks that could have been made just to the HAB/logistics system that would help improve the ability for players to spawn close to the action that would have made more sense and actually solved the problem better than the "buddy rally". It seems like an ill-conceived over-reaction.

Overall some really good changes, but there are some changes to core game play systems mixed in that seem really poorly thought out that over-shadow any of the good stuff. 

Please slow down the player movement, this is too fast for me and for a lot of people here.

Played a few rounds tonight on Montreal PT Server #2. Destruction on Yeho, AAS on Logar, and Destruction on Fools. I tried to capture quick in game thoughts throughout the rounds. 

Bugs

- Vehicle player listing clashes and displays multiple names on top of each other (unreadable)

- Bradley vehicle stabilization is not working 

- Was killed by head-on rocket in Bradley as driver (is this on purpose?)

- Bradley would not fill ammo full at main (got stuck at 598 pts)

The Good 

- Gun audio sounds really nice!

- Graphics seem to be better for me (using TAA)

- Explosions look really great

- Muzzle flash is super realistic, very nice touch!

- SL line marking tool is great! Would be great to add curved/arced lines as well

- FOG OF WAR IS A GAME CHANGER!! NICE STUFF 

- Destruction is pretty fun, but buddy rally makes defense nearly impossible

- Vehicle track/wheel damage works well

- Updated vehicle HUD very informative. Nice to see turret damage, etc. 

- Menu UI improvements are nice (like spawn list, and auto-deploy)

The Bad 

- Sprint too fast, it is so fast that it looks comical when watching someone run. SLOW DOWN

- Buddy rally allows for entire team to SWARM to one rally. 

- Buddy rally allows for an SL and another member to circle a point and continuously reset entire spawn for team

- Buddy rally makes HAB pointless

- Removal of perma dead turns battles into a rez fest.. bring back DEAD DEAD

- Vehicle roster now on right side behind map (can't see both!)

- Cannot hold F to enter/exit vehicle while talking on squad comms

- Ticket bleed made Logar match last approx 20 min.. barely enough time to maneuver. Felt like Call of Duty TDM

- Stamina recharges very quickly. Need more penalty for low stamina, especially with sonic the hedgehog sprint speeds

- Received several quick shots from enemy after two MGs were suppressing area. Pop and drop (make suppression/sway great again) 

Most of these sentiments seemed to be shared within my squads (a mix of community members as well as players I've never met before). 

Thanks,

Tree

On 4/15/2019 at 8:53 PM, Golden_ said:

Hi, i have only 100 hrs in Squad at the moment but i think the movement in A13 feels to COD/Battlefield like. 

I think in A12 it was better because u have to think twice before u do something dumb like stand up if someone is aiming at you because you cant cancel your movement before the enemy kills you. 

that is bizarre, since when in real live you can't cancel your movement? You are not going to full stand up as a clumsy idiot in a middle of  a crossfire. I hate non reverting animations makes the player look like stupid robots and the gameplay non realistic, we need more agile soldier, maybe 20km/h is too much but definitely more stamina is more than welcome, soldiers can't  sprint for more than 100m and that is ok only for a terminal old man.

Played a little last night.
Absolutely not necessary the speed increase and also the reduced acceleration and deceleration transition.
Now the soldier's movements seem without inertia ... less realistic (exactly the feeling you get when playing Cod, Battlefied etc. And whoever plays Squad ... doesn't want the same experience as Cod!)
The speed increase is even more horrible in city maps or restricted areas ... it seems to move and turn around like a flash. It is killing me completely the sense of immersion and reality that Squad must have.

Strange choice from the Devs ... it almost seems like it goes against their own ideas about how they want Squad.

I sincerely hope that the Devs go back to the v12 movements.

Looking forward to at least playing around in the test range.

Also, a big thank you for improving the btrs, 30mm, and HE.

lol at teh rage toward a playtest of unreleased content in a prerelease game.

Posted (edited)

I haven't touched Squad for awhile and I really should show more patience however, this speed increase I keep hearing about leaves me confused. We had a stamina decrease in V12. Now we have a speed increase? I don't quite understand the move to be quite frank. 

The speed was perfect (v12), never had an issue with it and neither did the community. The stamina decrease however was questionable although not game breaking. Why not put movement speed back to what it is in v12 and increase stamina up by 10% instead? Or at least to whatever percentage is needed to be able to cover as much ground as you would with the speed increase? I find this to be a very strange move.

I fear we're moving further away from a niche game type to something that feels more and more like a triple A game with all these little changes. I've seen it time and time again. Niche games wanting to make success by trying to turn into a triple A title feel because that's where the money is at. Only to flat-line any interest before they have passed the post.

p.s. Sorry I ranted a bit hard there. Just slow the speed back down plzzz x

Edited by Quadro