Gatzby

Alpha 13 Public Test, Round 1

Hey squaddies!

The time has come! We’re proud to announce the very first Alpha 13 Public Test. Now, since this is a fairly complex patch, there are a few things you should know before the download completes and you visit the Custom Server tab.

First, there will be bugs, including known crashes. This is the first public testing build. We need you to make sure you use the crash reporter to send us logs. (Press “Send and Close” when it appears.)

Secondly, the test may end at any time depending on how things go. This is also the reason there are no community servers. If all goes well, we’ll expand testing to include more servers.

Thirdly, your feedback is crucial. Please share your thoughts in Discord, on the forums, on reddit, or anywhere you can get it to us!

Fourthly, the patch isn’t done. This is a work in progress that will continue to be optimized and change, especially with your help.

Those are the major points, folks — if you can handle those, it’s time to get your A13 on. If you need a little more detail, we’ve included some patch notes below.

GETTING THE TEST

1. Open up your Steam client
2. Click on LIBRARY -> Games
3. Type ‘Squad’ in the search bar.
4. Click on Squad – Public Testing and then on ‘Install’
5. After the installation is complete launch the game

Simply navigate to the Custom Servers tab after that to find a server!

Note: You may need to clear your cache if you’ve had a previous test installed.

ALPHA 13 TEST NOTES

• This is our first public test of A-13.
  • Games will be hosted on our servers in the Custom Servers tab, no community servers (yet).
  • We’ll run this test for a limited period of time, and may shut it down abruptly if it’s not providing value.
  • The purpose of this public test is to receive early feedback from you on the gameplay in A-13.  As we approach releasing A-13 this feedback is valuable in reducing the delay between public testing and release.
  • We are by no means done with optimization for A-13, but we feel the game is reasonably playable at the moment, enough to get a satisfying play session with minimal hindrances, and to experience the spirit of A-13’s changes in a meaningful way.
  • There’s a known crash during map change.  We’re tracking this and additional crash reports will help us nail it.  If you get the crash reporter dialog, please choose “Send and Close.”
  • VOIP issues occur when the player talking Txing is in an emplacement or vehicle, causing distortion of voice.  In our internal testing we found this issue wasn’t a huge problem in general play. It’ll be fixed in 3 weeks(™).
  • Please join in, have fun, get an early look at what A-13 will deliver on.  Then share your experiences with each other and with us, give us (constructive!) feedback, so we can make smart decisions on what remains to be done before we ship this mother.
  • A more in-depth list of the changes made in A-13, and the context behind them, is coming next week from Design Squad.

GAMEPLAY CHANGES

A full list of gameplay changes is available here. A little light reading for your download. 

WOW. that's a lot of changes. DL'ing now

"Increased non-ADS standing movement speeds by 10%."

Not good for me

I havent even played it yet but am highlly concerned with the removal of pings insta death on incap kills and the ability to put a rally next to a friendlly rally for no reason.

The Ping. Highly valuable tool for communicating in squad trying to find h-6-7-9 sub key 3 sub key 2 subkey 8 in a fight ins complete crap "there on the ping" is so much easier and faster and non reletive to the individuals position. removing the ping slows down combat comms.

The Incap. This removes the punishment of death slightlly punishes lone wolf behaviors like if you rolled up on a logi killed the sl waited for revive killed him again that squad is done but now they can just revive and revive untill out of bandages thats silly. 

The Rally. The entire point of the rally is you have to have other people with you to place it v12 you removed spawn count and made it infinite which drastically changed the way game was played and promoted bad squad leaders who would not move there squad around and get them wiped and now you introduce the ability to put a rally on a friendly rally after they get wiped on a point? like what exactly was the point of going through all that work to wipe the squad if they are still going to be in the area? so now you effectively have to wipe the entire attacking element to deal with a single squad instead of breaking down an attack one squad at a time? idk guys that seem really really bad. And also through this mechanic a squad can essentially teleport to the other squads rally through the new rally mechanic and death. no need to spend time and resources getting there. this is a terrible terrible addition please remove the rally on rally system 

Squad Devs, stop adding content until you fix the server crashes and EAC disconnects, it's not the server holders fault. I remember Battleye, at least it worked. I know many people who are infuriated with these problems and want to quit the game for other more stable games.

Posted (edited)

Posted this on the Discord but I also want to post it here now.

Now that I've played a bit more with the new rally system I honestly can't believe someone on the dev team thought this was a good idea

Why should a wiped squad be able to instantly respawn across the map to a new rally while dead? Wiping a squad means even less now?

I think a movement speed increase is fine but 10% is a little to fast, I think halving it to about 5% is a good start.

I really hope this gets reversed ASAP because I don't see the logic in this whatsoever, there is no punishment for death now especially combined with the new bleed out change as well. The game seems to be heading abruptly in a very strange direction and I'm a bit concerned, I don't think I've seen anyone in the community bring up these ideas before.

Edited by AceAttorney

Posted (edited)

Did you guys increase the sprinting speed, right?

I tested on firing range, and the sprint speed is 20km/h (or 5.5mt/s as I tested)

I dont believe this, this is way too fast, what are you guys thinking?

watch this:

now consider, in the game you are supposed to be in full gear + running on a shitty terrain

please stop making the game more fast paced as it already is too much

the full max speed should be 15km/h, and that is already too fast IRL, now image in full gear and stepping on shitty terrain

what you could do is decrease the max speed, and make the stamina last longer

I need to test a little more

here's 15km/h:

it doesnt look fast, but trust me, it is (I have XP)

also, the stamina bar on the center of the screen was a bad move, please revert to the side of the screen

Edited by EA_SUCKS

PLAYER MOVEMENT SPEED INCREASED BALANCE CHANGES

• Increased non-ADS standing movement speeds by 10%.
  • Experimental.

The sprinting sound and sprinting is a bad "update" thing general... Go back "10%" and it will be good..!

ya the rally thing is terrible there are litterally entire squads waiting dead with the squad leader yelling at other sl's to put a rally so he can spawn there seriouslly please remove. also ad back some side to side recoil auto fire is to easy now

Hi, i have only 100 hrs in Squad at the moment but i think the movement in A13 feels to COD/Battlefield like. 

I think in A12 it was better because u have to think twice before u do something dumb like stand up if someone is aiming at you because you cant cancel your movement before the enemy kills you. 

I realize experimenting is necessary but there are some Battlefield-style direction changes here that make me afraid for the future of this game.  Overall, it increases the painful void between coordinating vehicles and infantry, and rewards playing styles I came to Squad to get away from.  I've got 400 hours in Squad now and I'd hate to have to look for greener pastures.

AAS/RAAS Ticket Bleed

I actually missed this one.  More reason to make big, bold movements because the pressure is on to retake that center ground even when the ticket pool is still full.  Starting ticket counts could be raised a little more to compensate though.

SL Buddy Rally feature

DEAR GOD WHY.  This rewards foolish SLs who took excessive risks and then should rightfully have to pay the price for their poor decisions, and punishes the smart effective SLs who go to the effort of overrunning the enemy position and wiping their rallies. We already have FOBs for this.  This is exactly what FOBs are for. 

Removal of the Insta-death penalty timer on Revive

Not sold on this one, but not hating it, except that it is making things more meat grindery for long range engagements.  A little more priority to overrun enemy positions, but that's gruesomely countered by the Buddy Rally thing, which really sucks all the fun out of it.

Map “Pings” Removal

I miss this one massively, and I think this was a bad idea. This is a game about modern warfare and I can literally do this on my cellphone right now.  Communication is the weakest point of any Squad team and anything that makes that more efficient keeps voice comms less congested and makes the game more fun. Also, the old keypad method and UI is really clunky.   

Player Movement Speed Increased Balance Changes

No. Stop. This isn't Battlefield.  This too fast for realistic and if your squad needs to run you should have brought a vehicle. Maybe one of those APCs that's galloping around pretending to be a tank.  If you need to cross a gap, that's what smoke, bounding fire (remember when there were a bunch of changes to encourage that?), and intelligent flanking are for. This just encourages run-and-gunnery of the lowest denominator.

Player Stamina Changes

Nerfs are okay, movement buffs feel grossly COD style.  Again this feels like it goes against the whole "think before you move" tactical atmosphere I came to Squad for.

Posted (edited)

The Ping mechanic is such a lazy system. It literally removes the need to learn and read the grid system on the map. Ever since the “lazy ping” was implemented, I have not heard a single call out by grid. WHY even have the grid sys and coordinates ingame, if Mr.lazy can ping, ping and ping and ping and ping... u get the point!

What this Ping system has done is turned lazy players into entitled children not wanting to learn effective communication.

I'm against anything that is in a way, a dumbing down of squad. What you have ended up with is, "ENEMY ON MY PING, LOOK AT MY PING, OMG PING! PING!...." and as SL all I see, is a flurry of spam clicking on the map. Its so bad. Remove it, and people will be forced to actually put effort into improving their communication skills.

Edited by BatSithCrazy.

See, as an SL teaching a squad the grid coordinate system over and over again is waaay down the list of things that are fun to do.  Trying to get a bunch of randos in position for maneuvers is enough without trying to gold-pan squaddie grid coordinates out of the toxic river of blueberry V chat and Squad leads arguing about who's responsible for the lack of logi runs.  In my mind, first teamwork needs to happen, then we can think about making it artificially more challenging.

It's just such a strange design turn.  They're making the spawning and run-and-gun play different in realism defying ways to compensate for teams being poorly coordinated, and then also making it one step more difficult to do that coordination in a way that seems designed to feed the "it should be like the real army" crowd.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Skidborg said:

See, as an SL teaching a squad the grid coordinate system over and over again is waaay down the list of things that are fun to do.  Trying to get a bunch of randos in position for maneuvers is enough without trying to gold-pan squaddie grid coordinates out of the toxic river of blueberry V chat and Squad leads arguing about who's responsible for the lack of logi runs.  In my mind, first teamwork needs to happen, then we can think about making it artificially more challenging.

This is exactly the attitude that festers within the majority of the squad player base now days. People don’t want to put the effort into giving out friendly reminders or teaching other players to learn to call out simple coordinates on the map . No wonder the 80% majority of skilled and quality players base on public servers have gone down the drain. This is exactly why skilled squad player base is dying slowly. So sad so see.  Thank you for reinforcing my point. 

Edited by BatSithCrazy.

Posted (edited)

Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly lose pings in an instant if means reverting the over-caffeinated movement system we're trying out. I'd prefer sticking closer to a realistic tactical focus with real consequences.  It's an insanely inconsistent design direction.

Swaths of knowledge have been vague superstition among the player base since the early days and with new vehicles, equipment, roles, and logistics systems that abyss of "basic knowledge" is just getting deeper.  Cutting out some of the intentionally bulky aspects of communication means I could focus my efforts on other aspects of game knowledge, like how and when to use smokes, or hit vehicle armor angles, or position machine guns for ambushing. The parts of the game that are actually fun.  Automating the basic concept "a thing is over here" is only a good thing in my mind.  Visual communication is just as valid as audio.

And if the dev team wants to make the game more accessible to new players without losing the soul of the game, I believe that 'dumbing down' communications is a waaay better way than making it feel like just another COD with further to walk.

Edited by Skidborg
typoed

Posted (edited)

Bugs i have encountered over a couple of rounds.

Logi trucks and main repair stations are not working properlly has a very specific fill unfill supplies area vic repair function seemed to work as before.

some factions can have 2 habs while others only can have one? this is a huge change to make and i feel every faction should have multiple habs due to the ease of over running a single hab.

on screen switch back to game screen screen goes blank for a second or 2 before returning normally this is new.

creating a rally on a rally does not start rally timer u can buddy rally and immediately place another rally on spawn.

Technical max speed off road is about 35 seems kinda slow even for being offroad. this was on fools road in the field north of hilltop. i noticed on basharah the speed is much faster off road

scoped rifleman only get one smoke grenade idk if change or bug but 2 was fair. i realise they get an ammo bag and therefore can throw as may smokes as needed but only having one in the invi makes it kinda tricky to get a decent ammount of smoke up fast

vic crewman can completely repair vic drivetrain track wheels etc?

there seems to be a damage loss on range feature now or something was in a vic fight and btr 3mm took 0 damage from a striker well over 2k away but i was able to make him smoke and he was hitting me none stop literally took 0 damage.

spawned at main one time and could not enter vics or use the ammo box a respawn fixed this. would allow me to open radial menu but not do anything from there same on ammo box got radial menu but none of the selections worked

running way to fast or stam recovery is to fast overall movment speed is super human.

russian rpg lat dosnt rearm rocket from the selection only from the rearm all option

this actually seems to not work right now it will appear to work and show u resupplying but when u leave the menu u dont get the mags or w/e. i did not realize the rearm all button became the confirm to rearm what u had selected

vic kit switch available on btrs and such but not on logi trucks idk if intended or not. only crewman and lead crewman available off the logis to clarify a little bit on that btrs and strikers can give you any role mg sniper etc

solo spg driver seat switch to gun seat load spg back to driver seat move vic not to far back to gun seat loads it again. also one time it snapped my vision to the reload animation and another it did not and i did not see the reload animation. deffinitlly loads the militia spg techi every time u switch to the seat even if its been loaded animation played for all loads except for very first load after vic claim

also that random loss of ability to drive a vic even though uv been driving still happens not quite as much though and you still have the ability to start a bandage and then sprint but cant start a bandage while sprinting. with the vic driving thing if you lost the ability to drive the vic you was in and switched to a different truck or w/e it would let your drive that one 

damage seems off am consistentlly surviving 4 shots from assault rifles and surviving 2 shots from sniper rifles while machine gun roles seem to be one shot bleed outs

The squad leader animations. they are cool but they are to much. i would like to see them all l reduced in time and movment like he circles his hand 4 times for a rally animation 1-2 circles would be perfect still a nice animation but not as much the fist pump thing for the attack mark is kind of alot to

on destruction game mode not all defence points have logi spawns i feel this gives significant advantage to well organized attacking team as they can get there before your logi truck from main. a forward logi spawn at the first 2 destruction caches would be nice as rallys are fragile and you cannot spawn on the cache itself the ticket gain from destroying a cache is quite significant. lost a destruction steamroll game and the attacking team had over 800 tickets remaining not sure on the exact starting number but i think its like 200? or less

Spg placable turret also does a reload every time you get on it. but these reloads if already loaded with an actual shot do not take any recources it just plays the loading animation so the loaded shot is not being lost when you leave the turret

INS techi trucks take no engine damage from small arma only wheel and hull damage. there spg techi also instantly switches between frag and heat withoutt loading in the other round like if u have heat and go frag round no loading animation or anything but it shoots a frag round according to truck ammo stocks 

got into open top usa mrap displayed all squad members names on the vic occupation list

kohat Ali abad obj cannot lean in that area 

invasion on bashrah with the brits vs the ins the initial ticket count seems really low if they use there tank to merk the warriors and deffend ruins theres just not enough to adjust to that. considering they have a tank and 2-3 spg techies i feel 200 tickets to offset the potential loss of alot of vehicles at start would be fair. the tank is a very nice addition to the ins team they no longer feel out gunned

narva raas as sl i could not see the cap status or bar on the hud the defence status displayed on the map however 

when entering a vic it starts on seat 2 and so as non crewman it will tell you seat 2 is full and allow you to enter or if the vic is full it will tell you seat 2 is full also instead of vic is full

militia dshk turrets destroy sandbag emplacments like explosives now idk if intended or not tested on fools road against militia sandbags

Edited by Flan N Spank

yeah, I have been here since 2014, and I also think some moves have been made towards a style of game CoD or BF, which sucks

I hope OWI wont keep making these changes to Squad, otherwise Im gonna have to change my nickname to OWI_SUCKS, no offense

"This is an experimental feature requiring feedback."

The unfortunate part about that is a good 70% of the feedback you'll get is negative, because people tend to be much more likely to spread negative news than positive online it seems. At least in online communities full of entitled NEET gamers.

Best of luck, OWI.

yeah, I tend to only talk about the negative, of course Squad has much more positive things, its a great game, just dont want it heading towards the opposite direction, because thats what which makes it "special" from all other games...

It seems every major patch, people complain about something that is completely not finished yet.  This is an alpha.  It's probably at best 80% done, but until it's fully finished, I'm sure those of you having serious gripes with certain features that may or may not stick will have a different tune.  The reality is the core gameplay, even if the movement is faster and certain UI elements remain, is what has kept so many people playing Squad.

My community guys seem to absolutely love the new changes.  Sure, not all of it is perfect, but I feel like a small minority may be complaining.

2 hours ago, EA_SUCKS said:

yeah, I have been here since 2014, and I also think some moves have been made towards a style of game CoD or BF, which sucks

I hope OWI wont keep making these changes to Squad, otherwise Im gonna have to change my nickname to OWI_SUCKS, no offense

Very constructive i must say. Think if you say that socks suck too, the devs have all they need to make it sypæærr....