Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
J-DubzTac

VOIP Overhaul: Both Teams hear it, but in respective languages

Recommended Posts

So hear me out.

 

USA vs Russian:
If a US player is speaking in local, the Russian team will hear a pre-recorded set of dialogue that a US soldier would yell.
If a Russian player is speaking in local, the US team would hear a pre-corded set of diloague that a Russian would yell.

Obviously the player on the russian team will actually be speaking english into his mic, but the US players near him will hear the russian voice files, alot like the ambient voices you hear in Escape from Tarkov from scavs etc... it won't actually reflect the info of what the player said into their mic, but the volume of their voice may be able to be mimicked and amplified in a pre-set dialogue based on the position of the enemy players.
This would go a LONG way for immersion, especially when it comes to Insurgency type game modes battle middle-eastern insurgency.
 

Let me know what you think of the possibility! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah I mean it's a cool idea but this feature would force the player to choose one, and not both--

  1. Be stealthy
  2. Communicate with teammates

I don't know if the community wants that.

 

From airsoft, I know there are subtleties when being stealthy. Players can whisper to keep the volume of their voice from being heard by the enemy. Or they can use standardized hand signals or other rudimentary gestures. With VoIP in Squad, there is no such subtlety. It's not really an option due to automatic microphone gain, frequency response, background noise, etc.

 

If talking on the local net means a nearby enemy will be alerted to your position, and I were taking the match seriously, I would just use TeamSpeak/Discord/Mumble/etc. to communicate with my Squad instead. Again, the feature makes the players choose between the above two options.

 

This topic has been discussed in great detail. Check the third thread I linked below which contains a poll of whether or not players would like to see this feature implemented.

 

 

Edited by KG_Crispy
Adding more references

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Doing this will result in players not using the ingame voip and just talk over discord.

Yup, my squad rule would be join my discord channel and talk there. If you talk using the game voip while near enemies you're out of the squad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, J-DubzTac said:

So hear me out.

 

USA vs Russian:
If a US player is speaking in local, the Russian team will hear a pre-recorded set of dialogue that a US soldier would yell.
If a Russian player is speaking in local, the US team would hear a pre-corded set of diloague that a Russian would yell.

Obviously the player on the russian team will actually be speaking english into his mic, but the US players near him will hear the russian voice files, alot like the ambient voices you hear in Escape from Tarkov from scavs etc... it won't actually reflect the info of what the player said into their mic, but the volume of their voice may be able to be mimicked and amplified in a pre-set dialogue based on the position of the enemy players.
This would go a LONG way for immersion, especially when it comes to Insurgency type game modes battle middle-eastern insurgency.
 

Let me know what you think of the possibility! 

good idea. we already can't prevent the communication substitutes like discord in deference to the default VC but we can however expand on cautionary measures of using close proximity chat near the enemy, especially for multiple squads working together who aren't premade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As said before  PR had it and people didn't use it because it gave away your location. Not something I would like to see, and you wouldn't beable to effect exterior software. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya, i loved the way PR implemented it. We're playing a military simulator.... so, i think it's only right to implement this feature.

 

A  player yelling he's infront over the wall, throw grenades..... I mean... come on its so lame that its pure silence to the other team. 
Maybe a threshold to which the volume is heard would trigger it or something.

Teams use discord anyway. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, J-DubzTac said:

Ya, i loved the way PR implemented it. We're playing a military simulator.... so, i think it's only right to implement this feature.

 

A  player yelling he's infront over the wall, throw grenades..... I mean... come on its so lame that its pure silence to the other team. 
Maybe a threshold to which the volume is heard would trigger it or something.

Teams use discord anyway. 
 

But then you would be basically punishing players who don´t use it and benefitting teams and clans….

 

I say no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing we could have is set warnings. Say Grenade throws, Reloading, taking fire, tries to think of others etc. That are automatic triggers, things that players couldn't control so everyone would be on an even keel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ITT "people are already using discord, so let's make it so discord becomes almost mandatory"

 

Seriously you don't fix people using discord by making it even worse to use in-game VOIP. For the moment people mostly use discord if they're playing with a friend. But if they add things like the enemy team hearing them what I expect to happen is that they will have discord and teamspeak servers linked to the game servers to avoid the other team hearing. And of course people shit talking each other in local chat because, it's people after all and they're anonymous so they don't care how they are perceived. Though the suggestion of adding a line said when reloading and throwing grenades and stuff might actually not be that bad. But it might need some mitigation for sneaky tactics like being able to silence yourself for a second to get the drop on enemies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Smee said:

Only thing we could have is set warnings. Say Grenade throws, Reloading, taking fire, tries to think of others etc. That are automatic triggers, things that players couldn't control so everyone would be on an even keel. 

I like this idea, sandstorm has it. The problem is I’ve had instances where I’m reloading near enemy and I yell “NEW MAG IN!!” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×