SQHQ

Any plan on adding Squad to Epic Games Store ?

might get 10% cheaper squad on epic store and extra 10+% for the devs

We'd like to be there eventually, but it requires some technical work to make everything go while not using Steam. We have some higher priorities at the moment (like choppers, 100 players ;)), but it is something we'll continue to evaluate. 

13 hours ago, Gatzby said:

We'd like to be there eventually, but it requires some technical work to make everything go while not using Steam. We have some higher priorities at the moment (like choppers, 100 players ;)), but it is something we'll continue to evaluate. 

well ... make it client side hit detection and run the servers with 15-20 tickrate and 100 players should work right now :))

Or, update the game to the new engine, optimize the game using the new available tools, and then go for 100 players, which is what they're up to now

So basically the thing they've already been doing? As of the last three months or something there have been mentions of the team updating the engine to the new version. But updating an engine is more than just using an installer, you also have to make sure you didn't destroy your game in the update so bugfixing that costs a ton of time.

engine is not that great, only true stress test is having 100 players in a small area alive and in combat, but ramp the respawn times to 5 minutes and you could have 200 players lol

What is even the point of transferring squad to epic store? How's this even a benefit to you as a consumer?

8 minutes ago, Garensterz said:

What is even the point of transferring squad to epic store? How's this even a benefit to you as a consumer?

Its definitely more of a benefit to a developer because Epic's cut for using UE4 plus being on the store is 12% as opposed to the additional Steam cut of up to 35%.

14 hours ago, Garensterz said:

Not transferring but adding to the Epic store.

23 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Not transferring but adding to the Epic store.

But aren't epic store known for its exclusivities? Switching squad to epic means the exclusivity of the game right? Isn't that a bad thing for us.

And isn't epic known for its spyware programs that intrudes delicate info to us consumers? 

Adding to multiple storefronts doesn't ultimately make it exclusive to one. Some high profile up and coming games get exclusivity deals to lure people in but games that are already out might want to launch on Epic to gain a wider audience. Though if most online systems work of steamworks then it might take some time. Similar reason DVD/Blueray is delayed from the film theatrical release, as some might not see it in the cinema but might buy it if it's somewhere cheap on dvd or a streaming service.

23 hours ago, Garensterz said:

But aren't epic store known for its exclusivities? Switching squad to epic means the exclusivity of the game right? Isn't that a bad thing for us.

And isn't epic known for its spyware programs that intrudes delicate info to us consumers? 

As has been said not all games are exclusives just some recent new releases as Epic try to controversially roll out their competition to Steams virtual monopoly. Epic are charging much less for hosting games in their store than Steam and also offer significant discounts if those games are made using Unreal Engine. It's a big win for the likes of OWI as they will get a bigger cut of their game sales, can put more money into development and support the game for longer.

There is a lot of negativity towards Epic store because of the exclusives and they way they were implemented with big games moving to their store after being initially marketed on Steam and switched almost last minute. Lots of user complaints about lack of store features (refunds, friend lists, having multiple launchers, etc) most of which Epic are working on. Steam has made it easy for users and now many don't want the change. Personally I'd prefer a single place for my games as well but Steam has not really been charging, I think, fairly for hosting games for some time and now Epic are here shaking things up.

As for the spyware. I have yet to see anything definitive that confirms spyware and what info is being exchanged any more than many other pieces of software you're likely using daily. It's just another reason the angry mob use to complain imho.

5 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

As for the spyware. I have yet to see anything definitive that confirms spyware and what info is being exchanged any more than many other pieces of software you're likely using daily. It's just another reason the angry mob use to complain imho.

Yeah that's what I thought so too. I think people are just sensationalizing the topic. Maybe people got paranoid because of the chinese company share holder of epic. 

3 hours ago, Garensterz said:

Yeah that's what I thought so too. I think people are just sensationalizing the topic. Maybe people got paranoid because of the chinese company share holder of epic. 

That's all it is. Tencent owns a non-majority portion of Epic stocks and people are using that as a fear mongering excuse to boycott the Epic games store.

If Tencent was really interested in user data then they've probably already got it since they practically own half of video game publishing. but there's no evidence to suggest they want it.

The Epic Games Store has issues, mostly when it comes to lacking features for sure, but spyware isn't one of them.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:33 AM, Garensterz said:

Nah, exclusivity is up to Epic and the game they're working with to decide. It's more of a marketing strategy than a requirement, for better or worse. A game doesn't need to be platform exclusive though.

As far as the spyware, there's a fair bit of weird brand loyalty and xenophobia mixed in. Tencent, a Chinese company, has a stake in Epic. The Epic launcher, which is a work in progress, was looking at Steam friends before it had strict permissions to do so, as I understand it, and I believe it's been rectified. Of course, if you don't believe them in the first place... =) Here's more information on that: https://www.pcgamesn.com/is-epic-store-spyware

In any event, even if it was spyware, it's likely about a million times more secure than Facebook, which has recently tried to hide ANOTHER massive data breach, which left plaintext passwords exposed for millions of people. =( Doesn't excuse spyware, but helps put it in context, I think.