paragonid

Vehicle damage smoke cripples crew visibility

Vehicle damage smoke is a bad way to indicate damage the way it's implemented right now.
It cripples crew visibility (i.e. impossible to engage in direction of smoke source), client performance, stays forever long after damage, visible through objects and annoying for operating crew in general
Audio for 5% damage is loud gas leakage sound is annoying as well

Possibly switch to another way to indicate vehicle damage e.g. texture modification?
Maybe move smoke source away from view of driver/gunner, especially when it's not engine, and make it disappear after some time

BTW Abrams view behind is obscured by camo net, impossible to even observe in that direction

I honestly do not see this as an issue, if you get damaged, simply make sure to get out of there and repair, instead of trying to fight a losing battle.

So essentially return the realistic damage attributes of the vehicles that the devs spent many many hours implementing back to arcade mode? Makes no sense to me. API rounds penetrate and cause fires. That's the whole idea. Next I've heard the tracks get damaged and fall off, should they stop working on that as well?

While the technical issues like performance are certainly a problem the lack of visibility is sort of the point.

If the only result of being damaged was something that indicates the state to the crew but doesn't negatively effect them then the vehicle performs at close to 100% combat efficiency until it is dead which isn't an interesting mechanic, at least to me.

In the current state of vehicle play damaging the visibility of a vehicle is one of the few tools an average infantry squad has to deter an armoured vehicle.

On 28/03/2019 at 3:09 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

So essentially return the realistic damage attributes of the vehicles that the devs spent many many hours implementing back to arcade mode?

agreed - ridiculous idea.

On 28/03/2019 at 12:13 PM, Stom said:

While the technical issues like performance are certainly a problem

and should be addressed where/when/if possible - because they will/can be a real thing for some peeps, however ...

On 28/03/2019 at 12:13 PM, Stom said:

the lack of visibility is sort of the point.

yeppers!