Pharanaiton

Anti-material rifle

Destroying/dammaging enplacements.

Destroying IED, mine,...

Stopping LOGI's by disabling the engine.

Basicaly what i want to see trough my optic is a big fat tracer go down range knocking somebody to the ground.

Might be a little over powered in that state, also if a AM rifle can destroy an IED why can’t a standard 5.56 round?

6 hours ago, Pluto is a planet said:

Problem is that everyone will just use it as an overpowered Sniper rifle. So what you are asking for is a sniper rifle, just bigger..

limit it to iron sights and keep the ammo low

Or make it an ordeal to handle it around. make your movement with it slow, and when you fire make it so that a lot of dust hurls around so you are visible. I think Anti Material role is not any more weird then a breacher class to squad except that it is not being mentioned in the roadmap.

2 hours ago, Pharanaiton said:

Or make it an ordeal to handle it around. make your movement with it slow, and when you fire make it so that a lot of dust hurls around so you are visible. I think Anti Material role is not any more weird then a breacher class to squad except that it is not being mentioned in the roadmap.

Maybe giving the existing Marksman role these attributes and also buff the rifles a bit might suffice. Honestly on the rare occasion I've played the Marksman class I thought the rifle needed a buff to one shot down folks.

Honestly however there really isn't very many situations in Squad where the role you describe would even be that useful fragwise or flagwise. DF:JO had such a role and it wasn't very useful for the most part either. First of all, dudes would grab the Barret and post up on a hill and almost instantly you'd hear the distinctive loud sound and within a few minutes you'd simply run up there and backstab them. Secondly, if you were semi good at the game you'd select a secondary load out of two Claymore's and they could protect your back somewhat however they would also take the place of your ghillie suit and extra ammo so now you're more visible and only had a limited supply of 50 bmg ammo.

Needless to say, due to the fluid nature of Squad there would only be a handful of locations where you could use such a role to any degree of success. Maybe the high rise buildings in Basrah and Narva or perhaps here and there on Mestia or Fools Road for example but otherwise you're going to face the same problems as DF:JO.

I mean lets be realistic there are much more efficient ways to take away tickets from the other team in Squad than creeping around in the hills and going 10/0. 

Still, it does not need to have that much of an impact to the game. Compare it to the crewman role. Not everyone is walking around crew even if it gives acces to scoped 30mm. Because of the penalty's that come with it.  If the anti material role is only available after a certain amount of other kits being utilized, a sq will most likely ask the person who takes AM role to take something more usefull. Just in the same way i play as a machinegunner and when the situation asks it, i can spawn as a crewman and take that role for as long as neccesairy. The same would work for the AM role. It would mostly be used as the situation ask's for a long range shot at a enemy rally point or fortification for example. Or LAT is out of ammo, somebody can spawn in as AM role with 1 or 2 mags and dammage a light vehicle.

Edited by Pharanaiton

2 hours ago, Pharanaiton said:

Or LAT is out of ammo, somebody can spawn in as AM role with 1 or 2 mags and dammage a light vehicle.

Spawning in like that will require you to re-arm anyways. Why not just re-arm your lat?

If i need a light vehicle disabled, I'd empty a mag or two of 5.54 or 5.56 into the grille of that thing i need disabled. Or hell put some firepower on any part of a logi and it'll smoke up. Tell the LAT to keep his rockets for the bigger stuff. Gpmg's can take out most light vehicles by themselves too.

If there is a need to disable something far away ie light vehicle, its most likely less of an immediate threat to you anyways, and that manpower could be used for something useful in the now rather than later.

Just my two cents, anti material guns are awesome though. 

This'll just become the new marksman kit that wannabe snipers are going to gravitate towards like a black hole. It's big and recognized thus has a certain cool factor, and it "would" be able to one shot hajjis from the far side of the map with minimal skill and bullet drop. So ideal for the campy kind. I'd rather see kits with actual distinction and function being added, such as pilots. Instead of just one guy who takes 2 roles already there and pisses on them both because why not, all the while being less effective than either of the roles on themselves.

On 26/03/2019 at 5:21 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

DF:JO had such a role and it wasn't very useful for the most part either. First of all, dudes would grab the Barret and post up on a hill and almost instantly you'd hear the distinctive loud sound and within a few minutes you'd simply run up there and backstab them

hella yeah!!! (extra exclamation marks for good measure) - you just reminded me how much satisfaction was to be had by doing that.

not sure why we'd need an AM role, tbh. there's so much available to use as AM already in the game, why have such a specific and limited role?

ps: i don't agree with Crewman roles either, i think it's silly ... unrequired, when any peep can play Driver no matter what thier Role/Kit is without issue.

I agree with the fact that there is no need for a AM role.

I just think it doesn't hurt that it is available, just like a crew man kit being available on a map with no armor, the little icon will simply just be there with out bothering anyone! Why is it such a problem that a AM role icon would be there, If more then 50 procent of squad players think it's for immature people anyway.

If you ask me squad with Barret M81 or without Barret M81 i pick with! even if it doesn't serve purpose.

This ofcource does not corelate to people who have to put time and money in coding it.

Wich brings it down to squad without AM role.

ok i quit...

Edited by Pharanaiton

The only Anti-Material kit I could see working without attracting the negative sort of playstyle sniper roles tend to attract would be an unscoped version for the Militia and Insurgents using a PTRS-41 or PTRD-41, which has been brought up occasionally on the forums.

These are old anti-tank rifles from WW2 that are still seeing some use today in conflicts because they use the same ammo as the KPVT machine guns on the BTR which is plentiful.

The main issue is because they don't have a scope and are only firing the 14.5mm round they would be pretty limited in effect.

On modern armour they wouldn't be able to do much other than damage some components.  On Logis and other light vehicles they could potentially knock out the engine. They could damage emplacements and penetrate cover pretty well but because they are slow firing with a limited-mag-capacity/Single-shot this would also be pretty limited.

So yeah, overall it could be a fun addition but probably wouldn't have much of an impact on the game. A nice wishlist item but certainly not worth the development time at the moment, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Stom said:

fun addition

Yes indeed, but try to explain that to all the people (it looks like there's a lot!) who don't want to see squad change in any shape or form.

(at the same time i appreciate this overprotective group of people who have the best intent for the game, but sometimes i can get frustrated with the amount of nice ideas i see getting destroyed with the most stupid arguments.)

Edited by Pharanaiton

1 hour ago, Pharanaiton said:

Yes indeed, but try to explain that to all the people (it looks like there's a lot!) who don't want to see squad change in any shape or form.

(at the same time i appreciate this overprotective group of people who have the best intent for the game, but sometimes i can get frustrated with the amount of nice ideas i see getting destroyed with the most stupid arguments.)

I think the crux of the issue with your initial suggestion is that you emphasis the  'see through my optic' part. That makes people think of this:

527b67af60ec305c50fa61878026a235.jpg

While there would be edge cases of people using a scoped anti-material rifle really well and helping the team, most of the time players would just grab the role and go play Sniper Ghost Warrior on a hill, maybe get a couple of kills then die.

What I think would be better are one of these:

9921018.jpg?w=665&h=452

No scope or anything fancy, just an ironsight big gun. But again, this wouldn't really make a difference in Squad, they would be pretty fun but wouldn't have much of an impact so not really a priority.

Personally I think the unconventional forces should get as many tools as possible, the 14.5 mm WW2 tank gun sounds like a good idea

3 hours ago, Stom said:

What I think would be better are one of these:

2 minutes ago, Thegreenzzz said:

Personally I think the unconventional forces should get as many tools as possible, the 14.5 mm WW2 tank gun sounds like a good idea

Yep, that would be a nice experience to fire that thing in squad, especially if they put details in the bullet impact.

I like this sort of conclusion that this topic has made, i believe most of the people would feel comfortable with the idea of the AT rifle for the militia and such.

(just a detail: when i say good idea's being destroyed by stupid arguments, i was talking in general, not this topic.)

Unconventional forces want better mortars. Better IED options to combat armor, B-10 (Larger SPG) and maybe a KPV 14.5 heavy.

On 3-4-2019 at 12:55 AM, skidmark said:

Unconventional forces want better mortars. Better IED options to combat armor, B-10 (Larger SPG) and maybe a KPV 14.5 heavy.

Are you a representative of the insurgent forces or something?

On 4/4/2019 at 9:32 AM, liamNL said:

Are you a representative of the insurgent forces or something?

Cant you tell by my picture :).