Sign in to follow this  
Caliell

New Map: Grozny

Posted (edited)

I believe this map is long overdue, specifically making it Militia vs Russian Ground Forces as the main fighting area. New Year's Eve assault on Grozny was the real Meat Grinder and Pyrrhic Victory for the Russian forces during the first Chechen War. The combat was in heavy/dense (even denser than Narva and Al Basrah)  urban area and the map should be in the style of Russian (Chechen) weather with lots of mud and moderate amounts of snow with More Densely placed and partially destroyed Soviet Style buildings, with the center capture point the Chechen Parliament Building grozny-war-chechnya-parliament-palace.jp This will make for an interesting play, since this will be moderately dense urban map, with this high rise building serving as ideal CQB area of literal King of the Hill battle from bottom to the top, with several alternate routes through the building to get to it (capture point should be located in upper floors and the players on both teams will have to fight their way up, from multiple stairways located in the building or bring in buildable ladders to climb up through the holes in the ceilings. 

Notice the open area around this building, which will provide good play for the ground vehicles as fire support against defenders and due to the fight being in the city, it will also provide good cover against artillery and future helicopters in game for the balance sake.

Edited by Caliell

That map was my second 1 life event in PR years ago... there was much tensión. Good áreas for fighting. It was very immersive too, the historical background made it very interesting.

I have played this map in PR and I would love it to be in Squad. Just like other urban maps this one would have the most intense fighting ever because of the many buildings available to fire from and that they are so close to each other . Other than that I would feel pity for the poor Russians on the streets.

I think this map is long overdue,  and it is unique in the fact that it is truly vertical king of the hill experience,  and if true to its design,  truly will be the best cqb experience of squad, with capture points being located around the center. Also preferably in AAS and assault mode Russian ground forces will start out with huge plethora of armor (since their main assault consisted of armor and mechanized infantry) while militia rebels will start out with plethora of technicals. This will create true to history experience,  where rebels (in game setting up rogue HABs) seem to be popping from nowhere and everywhere, while Russian ground forces use armor and mechanized infantry in tight, urban combat. 

Posted (edited)

I do agree that Grozny needs to be made in Squad. We got the Militia and the Russians faction in the game. Why not make it. I know the devs like to make new maps rather than the old, but a lot of tense moments happened in this map. Pls make it

Edited by Heatproof

Just checked this map out in PR, and holy shit it's looking good. Definitely a must have eventually.

55 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Just checked this map out in PR, and holy shit it's looking good. Definitely a must have eventually.

It’s a great map but after a while everyone just went back to playing Fallujah and Muttrah.

Here's my WIP height map of Grozny. I still need to spend a few more hours smoothing everything out and then some post processing in WC2 then I'll post it up as a good start for anyone who wants to re-make it in the SDK.

54C0C08234A5E610A86EE2E3F3CD4CDF4DA63C05

Squad has plenty of good eastern European building assets and stuff, all it needs is some proper ruins and partially destroyed buildings.

2 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Squad has plenty of good eastern European building assets and stuff, all it needs is some proper ruins and partially destroyed buildings.

Yeah, everything you'd need with the exception of that distinctive looking main government building with the destroyed top is already in the SDK. On the other hand though with the many primitives, walls, blocks etc. in the SDK as well you could probably build it from scratch and then merge it all together. I'll finish the heightmap this evening and upload it. The Yeho landscape material instance and autumn trees look the most appropriate for Grozny as well.

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

On the other hand though with the many primitives, walls, blocks etc. in the SDK as well you could probably build it from scratch and then merge it all together.

Yeah well I doubt that. 

Once upon a time I wanted to practice architectural modelling (no maps intended) and did that, it is still pretty bad and doesn't match the real one very good, but no way something bodged together out of existing assets will ever come any close to immersive map.

Hope I'll have some time when I'm done with my other projects to finish that tho :D 

zmQbIsD.jpg

1 hour ago, rincewind said:

Yeah well I doubt that. 

Once upon a time I wanted to practice architectural modelling (no maps intended) and did that, it is still pretty bad and doesn't match the real one very good, but no way something bodged together out of existing assets will ever come any close to immersive map.

Hope I'll have some time when I'm done with my other projects to finish that tho :D 

zmQbIsD.jpg

Very cool. Does it have a proper interior with textures and full collision?

Height map is posted now. I left it a basic layout plus I've got no idea if there were any small hills in the wooded areas so its just the river and a basic road layout.

Would be nice to have a developer give a comment on this suggestion. Grozny would be unique addition to the other urban maps. As I mentioned to make it truly unique experience the best option will be to create uneven teams as well with Rebels starting out with maybe one T-64 and perhaps one or two BTRs and numerous Technies, while RF forces starting out (to historical realism and fun) something like 4 T-72B3 tanks, 5 BTRs and only one or two Logi Ural truck(s). Obivously the fighting in urban terrain will be disadvantageous to the Armor, but that's what exactly happened.

Rebels starting with several spawns inside the city would be neat aswell. They can set up proper ambushes against the incoming Russian mechanized squads.

19 hours ago, Caliell said:

Would be nice to have a developer give a comment on this suggestion.

While it is a great map, it's not one we're currently working on. For the time being, looking to the modding community would be the best bet. We've got a few maps in the pipeline keeping us busy atm. =)

On 3/13/2019 at 6:20 AM, fatalsushi said:

It’s a great map but after a while everyone just went back to playing Fallujah and Muttrah.

I sure love those "mixed maps" server(s).