Sign in to follow this  
Polarfox

SL comms overload solutions

Posted (edited)

I find one of the major detriments to QoL for squadleaders is the cluttering of comms. Often there's guys talking in squadleader channel, squad channel, local and effect sounds at once. It can be exhausting, and you miss important transmissions. 

One simple measure to reduce this would be to implement a symbol, where you now see who transmits, that shows squad members there are ongoing transmissions in squadleader channel. They don't hear the comms, but they can see that squadleader is probably busy right now. This could be red text showing"squadleader transmissions". This way squad members don't accidentally overload the SL. 

A second measure could be a push to mute that SL can use for the squad comms channel. Squad members can still transmit and receive, but the SL can't hear, or volume is reduced to 10% (or player defined level). This is the same as switching radio channel IRL, or just turning down the volume. Give it at 10-15 second timer, or unmute by pushing again before the time limit. A symbol showing " squad leader not receiving" will appear for squad members while mute is in effect. The same could be implemented for temporarily muting SL channel. 

A last feature that could improve SL QoL is the feature in arma, where you can insert earplugs. It can break immersion to have to play with effects levels at 10% as SL. Button to insert ear plugs reduces effects to 10 or 5% (or a player defined level) until button is pressed again. This would prevent the constant "What?!? THERE'S AN MG FIRING! CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING!" in squadleader channel, and squad leads can play the game still able to hear things smaller than a tank. This feature should probably also apply to local comms, which will we especially useful at start of round. 

Edited by Polarfox

Posted (edited)

Or people just start using direct comms, SL to SL?

Using this already existing feature, would reduce the workload of SL alot. But somehow people seem not to know it exits.

Edited by Axel
/

Yeah, that would be the optimal solution for SL channel clutter. I'm just afraid it's not going to happen for a lot of pub games, and this should probably be an easy thing to implement.

To those SL's who spam, either mute them or tell them how your day went. Singing is another option - they will learn soon enough.

1 hour ago, Polarfox said:

I find one of the major detriments to QoL for squadleaders is the cluttering of comms. Often there's guys talking in squadleader channel, squad channel, local and effect sounds at once.

v12 Squad offers unprecedented control over the audio more so than any game on the market in this genre. My suggestion would be to spend more time adjusting all the parameters that are available to you in the audio settings and utilize the mute function when you have problematic players.

3 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

v12 Squad offers unprecedented control over the audio more so than any game on the market in this genre. My suggestion would be to spend more time adjusting all the parameters that are available to you in the audio settings and utilize the mute function when you have problematic players.

Why do you assume I haven't adjusted this already? I play at 25% effects so that I'm able to hear voice transmissions clearly no matter what's going on in game. Having a set of earplugs would however make it easier to adjust levels on the fly, instead of having the constant setting. My biggest gripe is that squadmembers have no way of knowing whether they are transmitting over an ongoing transmission in SL channel. This is not realistic, and I don't see why a simple fix should not be implemented. Sure, disruptive guys just get muted, but this is also an issue if you do have active but necessary and constructive comms in both SL and squad voice.  I need to receive both SL and squad comms, so adjusting levels between channels doesn't really help here.

27 minutes ago, Polarfox said:

My biggest gripe is that squadmembers have no way of knowing whether they are transmitting over an ongoing transmission in SL channel.

Couldn't you apply this same paradigm to both SL's & Locals not knowing when your subordinates are talking to you as well and walking over those comms? You could get really carried away redesigning the entire comms system when in reality a simpler solution is to prioritize your comms volumes in a hierarchy you're comfortable with and then deal with the human resources issues on a case by case basis.

25 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Couldn't you apply this same paradigm to both SL's & Locals not knowing when your subordinates are talking to you as well and walking over those comms? You could get really carried away redesigning the entire comms system when in reality a simpler solution is to prioritize your comms volumes in a hierarchy you're comfortable with and then deal with the human resources issues on a case by case basis.

Of course you can, and OWI did just state they will implement an animation for when SLs transmit, not that I think that will fix much. Most often I find that it's squadchat and SL chat interfering with each other. You label putting a small visible icon showing there is ongoing SL chat transmissions, similar to the ones we already have labeling who is transmitting, as "redesigning the entire comms system"? You can't be serious. The other suggestions are simply temporary adjustment to volume levels by hotkeys, it's hard to see how it's an entire redesign. I don't really see why you are against the change I'm proposing from your comments?

25 minutes ago, Polarfox said:

Of course you can, and OWI did just state they will implement an animation for when SLs transmit, not that I think that will fix much. Most often I find that it's squadchat and SL chat interfering with each other. You label putting a small visible icon showing there is ongoing SL chat transmissions, similar to the ones we already have labeling who is transmitting, as "redesigning the entire comms system"? You can't be serious. The other suggestions are simply temporary adjustment to volume levels by hotkeys, it's hard to see how it's an entire redesign. I don't really see why you are against the change I'm proposing from your comments?

First of all, like I stated earlier I consider the comms system to be fully functional and basically finished which frees up manpower to focus on other tasks. Secondly, clutter. There's already enough on the HUD. And thirdly what makes you think that your squad would even pay attention to this small icon anyway?

And yes it would be a complete redesign to add such a feature to the widget, blueprint or whatever is used by the pawn and require additional testing & QC.

Bottom line, do like everyone else and increase SL chat way above Squad & Local chat so they both get walked on like a defacto squelch.

• 4 hours ago, Axel said:

Or people just start using direct comms, SL to SL?

Using this already existing feature, would reduce the workload of SL alot. But somehow people seem not to know it exits.

+1

Lol!....the few times i´ve played as SL I couldn´t believe how noisy it was. I had been sls in PR and that was used propperly. I think many people ignore the feature or just completely lack any sort of comms discipline.

I even remember asking them to keep ALL SLS channel with only info relevant to multiple SLS, and I got a lot of salt!... lol and I thought I was the noob!

3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

First of all, like I stated earlier I consider the comms system to be fully functional and basically finished which frees up manpower to focus on other tasks. Secondly, clutter. There's already enough on the HUD. And thirdly what makes you think that your squad would even pay attention to this small icon anyway?

And yes it would be a complete redesign to add such a feature to the widget, blueprint or whatever is used by the pawn and require additional testing & QC.

Bottom line, do like everyone else and increase SL chat way above Squad & Local chat so they both get walked on like a defacto squelch.

Well, they just stated that they will implement animations on character on transmissions, so obviously the system is not complete, and they're adding features.  It's not like I'm asking for certain transmissions to auto trigger mutes, my main suggestion is a small pop up that is the same as the current one. There's already a system for filtering who sees transmissions on the bottom left, a modification of this is what I'm suggesting, not redesigning the whole system, although I'm not familiar with their code of course. This element won't clutter much more than the already existing level of clutter for SL, who sees all the transmissions, so that would be rather moot.

They would pay attention cause I'd ask them to, but now they'd actually have a way to know if someone was transmitting and they would be interfering. 

Bottom line, if it's necessary to have the SL channel on such a level it completely overrides the squad channel, maybe some simple features could make this unnecessary, like it is in real life. Just missing squad comms is often not a good solution. Like another poster here mentioned, there is currently a lot of noise when squadleading pub games. Now, we can wish for the entire community to change their practices, or hope that the developer adds some features that makes squadleading just a bit easier. 

Posted (edited)

polarfox your ideas are reasonable and well thought out

Image is the current voice indication.

• The lower line indicates that the user is talking on SL channel to all, this is only visible to the person talking.
  • The upper 2 lines show that 2 other people are talking.
  • I added the red icon. This could appear for the person talking when their voice is overlapping that of another channel (can ignore local chatter as this is nice and immersive). Only a visual indicator but it might help show people that they might not get heard or should wait

.ay4t8m.jpg

Edited by suds

"clear comms and standby" usually works. Or "shut up guys, gimme a minute" 

Otherwise, a function that is similar to what aviation headsets have when listening to music would be good. The music is suppressed when the radio is receiving.

Make it an option or something if you have to, i dont think thats a major overhaul of the current system, which i personally find alright.