FeatherSton3

Randomized Invasion Gamemode Suggestion

So I know there is already an RAAS gamemode (although, it does not work like I thought it would). My vision for randomized gamemodes is different from what currently exists with RAAS. I thought randomized could really work with invasion, so here's my suggestions for RInvasion.

1. Defenders are able to see the first defend point from when the round starts/map loads. Once the "staging phase" is no longer, the defenders are then only able to see the closest NEXT defend point, not the whole map of defend points. If attackers capture the first flag, the defenders would then be revealed their third defend flag, so on and so-forth.
  2. Attackers would be able to see the first attack flag when the map starts in order to make effective use of the "staging phase". The next attacker flag would not be revealed until the flag goes NEUTRAL. Once the flag goes neutral, the minimap would give a general area to show the attackers where the next flag is located (kind of like insurgency game mode, except a larger area). Once the flag is captured, the next attacker flag would be revealed.

Thoughts?

I think the core of your OP(Revealing one flag at a time) is revolves around fog of war(s) meta, in which will be dropping eventually iirc...

but like the thinking, gonna be chaotic but it's weird flex ;)

I think this takes the game mode too far towards insurgency and also introduces an element of RNG

planning the whole game is a fun and unique experience imo

20 hours ago, SamWise said:

I think the core of your OP(Revealing one flag at a time) is revolves around fog of war(s) meta, in which will be dropping eventually iirc...

Yep, waiting on some developer time, but fog of war (and territory control) are still on the agenda.

Would love to hear more thoughts on ways to make rAAS a little more exciting too; we're not done with it, so there's room to grow.

2 hours ago, Gatzby said:

Yep, waiting on some developer time, but fog of war (and territory control) are still on the agenda.

Would love to hear more thoughts on ways to make rAAS a little more exciting too; we're not done with it, so there's room to grow.

I think it really just needs maps designed specifically for it, strike at karkand (which I think is coming?) would be a great start

I understand it's more work but it's pretty clear that across most FPS games you need maps designed for the game mode, rush in battlefield died because of this, kokan which was one of PR's best maps is shit in squad because it's been adapted to AAS which it just isn't suited for

or at least when designing a map, keep 2 game modes in mind (al basrah for example works for both invasion and insurgency)

just don't make another kamdesh lol

6 hours ago, Gatzby said:

I had some suggestions awhile on a whole new game mode which could have some of my suggestions incorporated into rAAS. Tell me what you think:

- Both teams start at main base with no vehicles. 

- After the first cap point is captured, only transports and Mrap's/ techies spawn. 

- After the second point is captured, logis spawn. 

- After third point is captured, APCs spawn. 
Since in my idea the bigger vehicles cannot spawn until the third capture point, something like this would only work on bigger maps, and it would be made so that you would only see the enemy's first capture point after you captured your first capture point. 
Now, I know from a developer/ programming aspect this would probably be a little difficult to do, but I had thought about something like this for awhile that would stop everyone from rushing middle cap and would similar to randomized AAS. 

I will comment about rAAS suggestions when I have some 

1 hour ago, FeatherSton3 said:

- Both teams start at main base with no vehicles. 

- After the first cap point is captured, only transports and Mrap's/ techies spawn. 

- After the second point is captured, logis spawn. 

- After third point is captured, APCs spawn.

I have some issues with your suggestions.

1. Nobody likes running from main to get to the action or even the fist CP. You should at least get Mrap/Techies as the are in effect recon vehicles and should be used to take that first point.

2. If we do get fog of war for rASS then logis are not going to be much good until you at least know where the 2nd CP is so you can place FOBs effectively. These might be better to roll after the first CP has taken. Better still don't delay their spawn and let the team choose how/where they want to FOB up. A loaded logi in the field is better than one at main.

3. I don't mind if the heavier armored vehicles spawn later after a defined amount of CPs have been acquired as I am not a big vehicle player but, if I were, I'd be a bit peeved having to sit the game out waiting for my vehicle to become available. Not sure how it even benefits the game. It would probably just end up penalizing a slow starting team or one that hasn't been bothered to wait for the armor to spawn and be there at that time.

20 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

I think it really just needs maps designed specifically for it, strike at karkand (which I think is coming?

You may be thinking of Fallujah. (Karkand is a mod.) The good news is, we're definitely focusing on points of interest and specifically testing them, and we have the new modes in mind. A lot of the older maps predate mode development, so some revising is necessary; a similar story for choppers. Which is also conveniently related to optimization, updating shaders, and fixing old bugs. =)

3 hours ago, Gatzby said:

You may be thinking of Fallujah. (Karkand is a mod.) The good news is, we're definitely focusing on points of interest and specifically testing them, and we have the new modes in mind. A lot of the older maps predate mode development, so some revising is necessary; a similar story for choppers. Which is also conveniently related to optimization, updating shaders, and fixing old bugs. =)

fallujah is an insurgency map at heart but could be adapted to invasion (which I imagine it will as we don't have insurgency back in the game yet), I was under the impression that karkand was going to be coming at some point but maybe not or it will come from a modder

I think it really just comes down to having well thought out defensive points (which I think is what you're getting at) that are much smaller, at the moment we just have the big caps from AAS, which works for AAS but doesn't really work for an attack/defend game mode

while having smaller, more constricted points would probably tip the scales in favour of defenders, I think once we get a commander role with offensive abilities this would even out

if you look at say rush from BFBC1 and 2, push from insurgency and territories from RO2, each point is very specific and has a few effective tactics at attacking and defending the points

Edited by Hotpokkaminny