So I've played Squad for about 70 hours now but I'm brand new to the forum. I was wondering if inputting a dragging ability has ever been talked about. This would be used to move injured teammates off the "X" so as to get them out of sight to properly heal them instead of just hiding behind their bodies, hoping you don't get tagged. If this topic has already been discussed, please just direct me to the post and I'll read it to find out what's being said. Thank you.

Yeah it has been talked about, and the devs have done a motion capture on it afaik, it's just quite a "drag" to code it into the game apparently.

Oh yeah I mean how have I played 2700 hours without dragging!!! 

Its it’s one of the less important things in game and has been mentioned many times 

welcome to squad by the way, now get off the forum and get on Squad and get gud xxx 

That's not what you said the other day, Lee. You told me it was 2700 wasted because there wasn't any dragging; that it had ruined the game - indeed, it had ruined your life.

Yep, dragging has been discussed. We have done some motion capture for it, as mentioned. Currently we've got someone doing a deep dive on ragdoll code, which would obviously be part of that whole system. There are also some design considerations to take into account too: can the enemy see it? Can they stop it? Is that a war crime? Generally speaking, we think there's room to improve on making incapacitation a little more, um... not enjoyable, per se, but fun given the circumstances.

4 hours ago, Gatzby said:

Yep, dragging has been discussed. We have done some motion capture for it, as mentioned. Currently we've got someone doing a deep dive on ragdoll code, which would obviously be part of that whole system. There are also some design considerations to take into account too: can the enemy see it? Can they stop it? Is that a war crime? Generally speaking, we think there's room to improve on making incapacitation a little more, um... not enjoyable, per se, but fun given the circumstances.

Why would that be a war crime if you can kill a medic while reviving/healing a player and now everyone can revive and be killed anyway. Just like suicide bombers that you guys didn't want to introduce in the game but "everyone" while playing Insurgents attaches bombs to their vehicles and do pretty much the same... I can understand it's not easy to code such thing, but "war crime"...  I always play as medic if the slot it's available,  so i would love to see the "dragging mechanics" in game,  i think it's not natural to go "yolo" and go revive players in the open space(i know you can use smokes, but if you don't have any or if the enemies are "spamming" the smoke) instead of getting your team-mate behind cover. Just my thought, thanks for taking your precious time to talk about this @Gatzby

Edited by Lio

War Crime in a actual Game? The World has became Politically Correct,even in our gaming universe,I presume thats the reason we're Not having 'Suicide Squads' even thou we still do it. :D

All My Years Playing JointOps,Shootin' Medics with HeadShots...I should've got "Life".

Dragging or Not Dragging...We'll can wait!.

isn't that like one of the basic rules of first aid. you have to make the make the scene safe, bring them somewhere save? its like of silly how you're forced to revive teammates in the middle of a road in an active combat zone.  

37 minutes ago, Jiggerlube said:

isn't that like one of the basic rules of first aid. you have to make the make the scene safe, bring them somewhere save? its like of silly how you're forced to revive teammates in the middle of a road in an active combat zone.  

Can't wait for it. I am tired now of telling my casualty to 'pull back into cover' once I res them. Hopefully they sort the casualty flying into the air on revive as getting res'ed in a building often leads to them ending up on the next floor up and many times trapped. Not much point in dragging them into cover, res'ing, and then for them just to have to suicide and take ever longer to get back to the fight.

37 minutes ago, Gatzby said:

Is there a reason killing wounded soldiers would be fun to you, though?

Anyhow, we have things like the Geneva Conventions to sort out things like that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Geneva_Convention

Amen. It isn't "political correctness," It's just decency, game or not. It's the same reason why open world games are without children.

Political correctness as a concept had flaws but usually only in poor application.  It's a scapegoat too often in cases that are irrelevant. It's not 'PC gone mad' to factor ethics and commercial / reputational factors in a very low key way into the design of a game. 

3 hours ago, Gatzby said:

Anyhow, we have things like the Geneva Conventions to sort out things like that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Geneva_Convention

I'm not saying you could kill the player that's already bleeding out(downed), only the player dragging the other, automatically would detach from doing that action(dragging), causing him to be in the same state of the "dragged" player. When players are reviving other players they just as vulnerable as they would be dragging players. As you can cancel the action of reviving someone, you could also cancel the action of dragging someone if the situation was too dangerous to do so. 

And one suggestion: Like you can interact with a "ammo crate" pressing "F" and bringing the menu up with different kits and resupply, you could also do the same with a downed player, choosing different "dragging" options, like get him on your back or simple dragging.

@Gatzby And i'm not saying to implement this feature in the next patch, maybe in the future test it on "Public Testing" and see how it goes and happen. This is only my feedback and suggestions not a "Rant". I totally understand we got much higher priorities to be done and add to the game than this.

Edited by Lio

Definitely still in the "want to have" box, but not on a priority list at the moment.

Personally think that's best. I'd like to see that 'get them to safety before treating' thing implemented but I think it would require more tweaks to medic system etc anyway to make it worthwhile. Definitely feel other things would add more value, more efficiently,  at present as well. 

Shooting a wounded soldier is a violation of the first Geneva Convention and the guilty faction should be penalized through financial sanctions (loss of supply points at all their FOBs). Shooting too many wounded soldiers should be punishable by death (damage is reflected back onto the perpetrator). The red cross symbol identifies persons covered under the agreement, so shooting a medic while dragging a wounded soldier or administering aid should receive the same punishment.

Interesting idea. A lot of people would hate it but I don't automatically reject it at all.  While contravention of GC virtually always take place when the shit is down, rules of engagement, at least amongst conventional forces, are seriously considered. Might be an idea for asymmetry in design for certain modes.. could be a very interesting facet.

Challenging to make work. Hard to check targets at range. Applies to bullets and phones only? Easy to check for griefing etc? 

On 2019-02-22 at 7:31 PM, Gatzby said:

Although the medics in game isnt protected since they dont have clear insignias (the red cross) to distinguish them from regular soldiers and they are also using their weapons offensively.

But dragging a soldier can be useful in the game, it takes 14 seconds to revive him as a non medic, dragging him to safety first would probably be safer than reviving him where he was killed.

6 hours ago, John Wick's Dog said:

Shooting a wounded soldier

Likely we won't add damage to incap players, though your ideas are interesting.

This would often punishe a whole team for the actions of a few "Tremblay's" that are maniacs,. It would be a complex mechanic to add to the core game, and very difficult to still make it intuitive.

Would Love to see a mod make a crack at this!!!

Posted (edited)

john wick's dog said:

Shooting a wounded soldier is a violation of the first Geneva Convention and the guilty faction should be penalized through financial sanctions (loss of supply points at all their FOBs). Shooting too many wounded soldiers should be punishable by death (damage is reflected back onto the perpetrator). The red cross symbol identifies persons covered under the agreement, so shooting a medic while dragging a wounded soldier or administering aid should receive the same punishment.

I like this penalty concept but imediate result is a bit weird. If squad had staged matches with a defender and a attacker that progresses over 3 sub mission (1 map) Then you can dedact ammo and construction in the next round coming. If a defending team shoots to many wounded soldiers and they loose the first match, they start the second round (tactical retreat) with less points to fortify. Like when defending a city map the map get's played in 3 missions, where the defenders each time fall back to the last stand, with some time to fortify.

Edited by Pharanaiton

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 7:31 PM, Gatzby said:

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, John Wick's Dog said:

Mmmm….

But in REAL LIFE it´s inmoral to shoot a wounded soldier because he´s assumed to be harmless. Out of combat. Not a threat. 

In this VIDEOGAME we positively know that after being patched he is not going back home to his family, … he´s going to be shooting at you after an animation that takes around 10 seconds…. so... the idea of "wounded" IRL and in the game are very different.

So...