BatSithCrazy.

Why, Get Rid of First Light ?

I miss Operation First Light. One of my beloved and favorite maps in Squad, what happened? Why was the map removed from the Squad? I’m sure there is a majority of Squad Players, who wonder the same thing.

Does anyone ales in the Squad Community want to see First Light to come back?

opfirstlight2.jpg

opfirstlight1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

OPFL was one of my favorite maps too, saw it grow from a forest(When the map was originally called Forest), to a forest with shipping containers, to a forest with containers and concrete structures + a radio tower, to eventually what it became when it became OPFL. A good map to have some fun in-between large maps. There's good reasons to why it was taken out of the game though, here's the reasoning to why.

Quote from Axton(Mapper)
"For those curious, OP First Light was removed for a few reasons, the foremost of which was that it has become extremely dated and hard to maintain from a technical perspective over the years. It was never meant to be a production-level map, rather a testbed that got morphed into one.

We also had concerns about its performance and stability, as it was so far behind the other maps that our current performance metrics were no longer useful to judge how it would play.

Lastly, there were concerns from a gameplay perspective, with OPFL giving what we felt was an experience not up to par with what we want from our current maps, specifically in public play.

We plan to upload OPFL as an 'official mod' on the workshop, and once modding 2.0 releases to the public it will be treated as a white listed mod, allowing licensed servers to run it. As it stands though, we didn't feel it had enough value to justify the size it added to the game, and the upkeep it demanded from our developers.

In the future there are a few people internally who are interested in remaking it from scratch to a higher level of quality, but other projects take priority for the time being. Hopefully you guys understand :) "

And a quote from IronTaxi, which the topic is touched on briefly in what Axton said above.
"what if they made a bigger badder map some day based on op first light? wouldnt that be preferable?! :) "

I didn't mind First Light. I grew very tired of that most common layer and the same old way it would play out 9/10, but it had some good points. I was't that sad to see it go, to be honest, but I'd be prefectly happy to see it come back in a completely redeveloped, ideally expanded and improved way - particularly in tandem with improved gametypes. Older maps can develop into good stuff, for sure - I used to basically hate Kohat in the early days. Hate. As in I'd actively chagne server every time it came on, in the end. Looked horrible, payed horrible, sat horribly with the engine issues back them (squads appearing to levitate above the hills, shooting at each other and in fact hitting the hill, which they were usually actually behind - for hours, it seemed). Now, though - I think it's pretty great, much of it.

I would like to see it come back revamped and expanded filled with attention to detail. 

I was actually suprised they removed OP first light but gorodok and chora are still in rotation.

That's the point though. It's subjective. I'm aware Chora is looking a bit dated and is evidently a previous generation of next to Talil, but I never understand the hate it gets. 

Anyway: as explained above, it related partially to the age of its base and the fact it was obsolete in that way rather than the gameplay alone. 

I love OPFL and miss it every day, was such a good map to chuck in rotation to change things up every once in a while

Come on someone make OPSL.

bigger and better!

In all fairness, I think you might be better placed to than most, Chance! If you need some signage...  :D

I do have plans for a OPFL but its got nothing to do with official work, way too busy with official stuff and the Australian faction, some signage may be required

I posted a new high definition Forest height map over in the resources section if anyone wants to fool around with it in the SDK. If you swap it for the existing one from the orange bar in the landscape section you'll need to select it and change the xyz from 50,50,8 to 100,100, 40 though to retain the existing size.

I'm also currently working on another variation that will enlarge the edges of the landscape 500 meters bringing it up to a 2k size.