Sign in to follow this  
Zylfrax791

AFK's, Unassigned's & Ghosting

I'm curious when these three integrally linked issues will be addressed? My opinion on being unassigned has most definitely evolved since I first started playing based on the ongoing behavior I've seen so far.

First of all, there's simply way too much information available to an unassigned player. A player shouldn't even be able to see the map until they either join or start a squad for starters. They should be able to spawn in at main off the spawn button but thats it and they should spawn with no kit and have to go to the ammo crate once they join or start a squad.

Secondly, only squad leaders should be able to see ticket counts and the actual FOB locations on the map and when someone starts and leaves a new squad there should be a notification to all the other squad leaders. Also no SL should be allow to start more than one squad and once you're an SL regardless is you pass it off or join another squad you shouldn't be allowed to switch teams for the duration of the match. This musical chairs nonsense needs to be drastically curtailed.

Then the tertiary issue is AFK's. No other game in this genre lets an AFK player sit on the server for entire matches, even mutiple sequential maps. This is absolutely ridiculous. Obviously not only does it take away an open slot for someone who actually wants to play but its always been a tool for ghosting. AFK and Unassigned autokick should occur after two minutes.

Certainly servers with active admin can recognize and invoke remedial action against some of these problems however imho the solution should instead be built into the game mechanic.

100% agree here, except for one situation: Server admin just hanging around in admin cam watching the fight, not telling anyone what's going on and only act when people misbehave.

1 hour ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

100% agree here, except for one situation: Server admin just hanging around in admin cam watching the fight, not telling anyone what's going on and only act when people misbehave.

Certainly players with admin privileges would be immune. And if you think about the only real need for anyone to hang out in cameraman for any amount of time would be a streamer.

And truth be told if the simple safeguards I've suggested were implemented it would make a lot less work for admins thus allowing them to simply enjoy the game.

Have to disagree on the "only SL´s can see the map/tickets". Its a good thing when you join the game and see the whole tactical situation on the map, "is my team losing/winning? where is the most heavy fighting? what vehicles are active? what are the squads up to  etc etc"  I choose the squad i join not only by player count in that squad, or if they SL even has a SL kit, but also if they stick and work together. And that is the information i can only get from the map.

Now, without that i would spawn in blind, have to join a random squad, which might be bunch of micless lone wolves or with no active leading. Which means i have to join another squad and start the whole process of finding them on map again

Same thing with ticket count and FOB locations, why deny extremely important information to 90% of the team?

It all comes down to honesty anyway as is the same with hacking/cheating.  I could relay information to the enemy regardless if im in a squad or not

(Havent done that btw, even when switching teams, out of sportsmanship and respect to the other team ;) )

They'll probably get addressed as the game gets closer to completion. Unfortunately they just aren't important enough to be dealt with when so much of the game is still to be determined and implemented. 

I can tell you from my time as an admin that lots of time was spent finding unassigned players only to find out they were brand new and needed help navigating the menu and understanding the squad system. By bar the biggest issue with Squad is that it is still a work in progress and things change quite often. Yet, even a simple quickstart guide would go a long way in helping some of this.

As for the rest, a solid game roster UI would be helpful but is again super low on the priority list. Personally, an icon next to a player's name in the roster while in admin cam would be very beneficial for fellow admins. That way at a glance someone could see if they're actually AFK or filming.

Personally, I found it quite enjoyable to watch entire matches in camera mode. Not only did I find it fun but it was handy to have someone ready to look into anything fishy or deal with griefers without taking someone playing the match out of it.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, PolishKruk said:

Unfortunately they just aren't important enough to be dealt with when so much of the game is still to be determined and implemented.

So what you're saying is you think that a couple of the most basic features that form a universal foundation for any multiplayer game regardless of its genre aren't important enough three years into development to be addressed? That seems ridiculous to me.

I would say that properly managing players with an internal game mechanism (especially one that is structured around the formation of squads) regarding AFK's & Unassigned should be of the utmost importance.

Let me ask you this then. If addressing AFK's with an internal game mechanic isn't important then why does basically every other related game in the genre have AFK autokick built in?

On 2/16/2019 at 7:12 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

So what you're saying is you think that a couple of the most basic features that form a universal foundation for any multiplayer game regardless of its genre aren't important enough three years into development to be addressed? That seems ridiculous to me.

I would say that properly managing players with an internal game mechanism (especially one that is structured around the formation of squads) regarding AFK's & Unassigned should be of the utmost importance.

Let me ask you this then. If addressing AFK's with an internal game mechanic isn't important then why does basically every other related game in the genre have AFK autokick built in?

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying they aren't important. I think they are. But I'm sure you would agree if you had to choose between an updated UI or in game mechanics you would prefer in game mechanics. You're talking about reworking something that has already been reworked once so far and probably will again before Squad hits 1.0. 

What other games are comparable to Squad? Sure, Battlefield 2 had an autokick timer but it was also a fully finished game before anyone played it. To compare it to Squad is somewhat silly. Pretty much any other game you will name either does not use privately operated servers and/or is completely finished as well. The comparisons don't apply. On top of that I bet server owners could add an AFK autokick if they wanted but don't due to seeding.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. In my post I explained how important this actually is but also provided other ways to address it that are much more simple. I'm merely stating that Squad has a lot left to do and most of it takes precedence over some UI work.

Think the worst one experienced last night on full server , was that 3/4 of the team where afk and it was invasion.  As defenders wasn't till 20 mins in did we have a team that was actually trying. We had lost 3 flags by then and was then rolled back to the mercy bleed. There needs to be a kick timer.

On 2/8/2019 at 5:17 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

I'm curious when these three integrally linked issues will be addressed? My opinion on being unassigned has most definitely evolved since I first started playing based on the ongoing behavior I've seen so far.

First of all, there's simply way too much information available to an unassigned player. A player shouldn't even be able to see the map until they either join or start a squad for starters. They should be able to spawn in at main off the spawn button but thats it and they should spawn with no kit and have to go to the ammo crate once they join or start a squad.

Secondly, only squad leaders should be able to see ticket counts and the actual FOB locations on the map and when someone starts and leaves a new squad there should be a notification to all the other squad leaders. Also no SL should be allow to start more than one squad and once you're an SL regardless is you pass it off or join another squad you shouldn't be allowed to switch teams for the duration of the match. This musical chairs nonsense needs to be drastically curtailed.

Then the tertiary issue is AFK's. No other game in this genre lets an AFK player sit on the server for entire matches, even mutiple sequential maps. This is absolutely ridiculous. Obviously not only does it take away an open slot for someone who actually wants to play but its always been a tool for ghosting. AFK and Unassigned autokick should occur after two minutes.

Certainly servers with active admin can recognize and invoke remedial action against some of these problems however imho the solution should instead be built into the game mechanic.

I’ve had performance issues where I’m not able to do anything, I’m not sure if they lasted for 2 minutes but I’m worried some people might be disconnected while having performance problems 

16 hours ago, Thegreenzzz said:

I’ve had performance issues where I’m not able to do anything, I’m not sure if they lasted for 2 minutes but I’m worried some people might be disconnected while having performance problems 

Definitely plan to include AFK/Unassigned kicks as server side options in the future when there is more optimized builds with fewer perf issues, especially for players that struggle with slow HDDs

On 2/23/2019 at 4:23 AM, fuzzhead said:

Definitely plan to include AFK/Unassigned kicks as server side options in the future when there is more optimized builds with fewer perf issues, especially for players that struggle with slow HDDs

Thank you