Sign in to follow this  
unfrail

Recon Mechanic: Satelite Transmission Of Photographs.

Depending on the planned game mechanics and what the commander is able to see via minimaps etc, there could be room for a mechanic of "providing intel" to the commander via simulated satellite transmissions...If a player was a designated recon unit, he could "Take a picture" of an enemy formation/group of assets/defense structure, and then transmit it to the Commander to assist in the direction of response.

The real mechanic would be essentially taking an in-game screen-shot and having some sort of ftp/http link that could give the commander access to the screens. The screens could be auto uploaded to a cache repo on the gameserver and dithered to make the files small and lightweight. Then, if a commander wants up-to-minute intel he can check the "Photos" and see whether there is an enemy tank column forming or whether we need JDAMs to precede the assault.This could be a precursor to the requisition of a drone for live-feed intel or other options...Thoughts?

Does CO always have UAV?

obv live video feed is better, but I figured when the UAV was unavailable then some photo intel could assist, and a screenshot server didnt seem like that complicated of a mechanism to make use of.If the UAV is always up though, then yeah, this would be totally unnecessary.

UAV is up most of the time... at least in PR (if there is a CO to use it, ofc)

and you can relocate it to another area if you want... really fast ^_^

Would be awesome if there was a longer delay when the UAV goes down (perhaps it can get shot down by CAS?) and then you had to rely on 'photographs' only. Or the UAV was slow to move, but gave High-Def pictures and lazed targets, while satellite pictures covered the whole map and were 'low res' or at least lower res, where they player would have to interpret them. It should update every 1 -2 mins maybe? I like this idea a lot! :) 

I think fundamentally, the CO should have an upgraded version of the map where the Recon team can track targets in real time, photos really don't achieve much extra other than the usual "G4KP2" besides the CO is likely to confirm with a UAV anyway.

Although Photos are actually a good idea, and I think they should be included but I don't think they will have a game changing impact.

I think fundamentally, the CO should have an upgraded version of the map where the Recon team can track targets in real time, photos really don't achieve much extra other than the usual "G4KP2" besides the CO is likely to confirm with a UAV anyway.

Although Photos are actually a good idea, and I think they should be included but I don't think they will have a game changing impact.

What if the photographs had to be deciphered by the CO, I'm pretty sure I'd find that enjoyable. Especially if you couldn't get the UAV over to part of the map and had to use old info provided by photographs. It wouldn't be OP with a suitable delay (maybe 2 minutes is too short thinking about it) but definitely would add stuff to gameplay in my opinion.

What if the photographs had to be deciphered by the CO, I'm pretty sure I'd find that enjoyable. Especially if you couldn't get the UAV over to part of the map and had to use old info provided by photographs. It wouldn't be OP with a suitable delay (maybe 2 minutes is too short thinking about it) but definitely would add stuff to gameplay in my opinion.

I think alternatively, let the UAV be real time as per usual, but let it be shot down/jammed. That way the commander has an old fashioned alternative in the UAV downtime.

How is this any different from just telling the commander via voice comms on what is going on? What does "providing intel" achieve? It's a game, usually players move too fast for any of this to stay relevant in a time frame.

Why not just let the commander see the actual SQL's POV like BF4 CO mode has, which a few players also tired to emulate on PR using some overwolf addon.

I think alternatively, let the UAV be real time as per usual, but let it be shot down/jammed. That way the commander has an old fashioned alternative in the UAV downtime.

I was talking about a delay on the Photographs rather than UAV. Sorry if I didn't make that clear! 

How is this any different from just telling the commander via voice comms on what is going on? What does "providing intel" achieve? It's a game, usually players move too fast for any of this to stay relevant in a time frame.

Why not just let the commander see the actual SQL's POV like BF4 CO mode has, which a few players also tired to emulate on PR using some overwolf addon.

FOB's get built. They don't tend to move around.Why not have it? Just an additional thing that the CO can look at, it's optional, and if not everyone uses it it's fine. All it would be is a screenshot of the map with some sort of filter put on it. It's realistic (definitely more so than POV cameras on squad leaders) and seems like a cool idea to me. Why not. Seeing the squad leaders POV isn't going to help in IDing where targets are or help show what's going on. To me that feature would only be used as a distraction in an extremely boring round. 

FOB's get built. They don't tend to move around.Why not have it? Just an additional thing that the CO can look at, it's optional, and if not everyone uses it it's fine. All it would be is a screenshot of the map with some sort of filter put on it. It's realistic (definitely more so than POV cameras on squad leaders) and seems like a cool idea to me. Why not. Seeing the squad leaders POV isn't going to help in IDing where targets are or help show what's going on. To me that feature would only be used as a distraction in an extremely boring round. 

Okay, but explain to be the difference between a SL calling in a FOB location to getting it marked on the map, and send a picture to the CO. What is soo important about the picture? A picture isn't going to help kill a fob in the middle of a forest or an open desert where every looks the same. What is the CO going to do with the picture?

POV camera's are real, maybe not for the regular joe as far as I know, but if you read the first sentence, these things are real.

You're saying that somehow seeing a live POV feed isn't going to help, but a picture somehow will?

Nothing is different. However you can't have full coverage of the map through squads. A sparsely updating Photographic map would fix this. It doesn't need any markers of friend or foe on there, so it could be quite easy to send a squad in to raid a friendly cache, however this can be avoided by co-operation with the SL's and UAV's/Maps. Co-operation that would advance the role of the CO and lead to better gameplay for the CO. Let the CO feel like he is actually doing something rather than just ordering people about, let him cross reference maps with photographs to get ideas of how places should be attacked. Of course the pictures aren't the answer to everything, however neither is a UAV or POV camera's on the ground. There will always be something hidden to at least one of the options available to the CO.  That's just how the real world works. I personally would cross reference the pictures with maps, especially if there was limited use of drones or they are seriously nerfed in comparison to the PR drones. As you said, the live feed is not for 'average joes', the article pointed it out too; they were U.S. Navy Seals. As a game focused on realistic and current warfare, I feel this probably shouldn't be included. Especially as the plan for this game at the moment is to focus on the 'average joes'. The same ones who probably don't get these fancy POV camera's. All I can see POV camera's aiding in is giving the exact same information that the SL could relay by voice. I's just a bit of a gimmick in my opinion. 

i guess with respect to UAVs I expected that BUKs, shoulder fired sams, helis, and any other air assets would be a serious threat, frequently eliminating the recon assets. IRL acquisition of intel is half the battle. In RTS games it is the same thing, cutting through fog-of-war to momentarily assess the enemys attack plans, and preping to counter.

much of this only makes sense in the context of large 8x8 and larger maps, where keeping tabs on the opfor isnt as easy as sitting on top of one hill.

for all I know the mechanic is useless compared to other mechanics. I just think that creating dynamic skill based roles would make this game so involved. if everyone is just trying to shoot everyone else then it is cod. getting AA detail to crush opfor UAVs or getting a ghille suit and a satellite camera could be super fun, and different from any game I have ever played.

thats where my head is at, but i understand there are differences and its cool. no doubt this game will work out as it needs.

I don't think a lot of you have played PR in a competitive environment. I urge you to Sign up for the PRT going on right now or the War of the Factions matches. A lot of the suggestions here seem very much out of touch with how the game is actually played.

Small recon squads do exists. They work very well at finding and destroying enemy fobs or lazing targets and moving out of that area. How would a picture help here?

A CO has to watch out for and receive intel from SQL. A picture can and will be outdated very fast, as firefights don't last hours, but minutes. A picture will hinder a CO's response time to other squads because he now has to see what the hell you are talking about instead of just tell him over voice comms. This is a gimmick, and will not be used as much as you believe.

A sparsely updating Photographic map would fix this.

So you are basing this on a feature that doesn't exist in game?

I personally would cross reference the pictures with maps, especially if there was limited use of drones or they are seriously nerfed in comparison to the PR drones.

How many pictures are you expecting the commander to receive and map out? This is a game, more important, this game seems has the pace of Battlefield, albeit slightly slower. Not to mention the fact that the commander is now distracted from making sure other squads dont get fucked or making sure the tanks aren't about to get flanked from a hat team.

As you said, the live feed is not for 'average joes', the article pointed it out too; they were U.S. Navy Seals. As a game focused on realistic and current warfare, I feel this probably shouldn't be included. Especially as the plan for this game at the moment is to focus on the 'average joes'. The same ones who probably don't get these fancy POV camera's.

Sure,

All I can see POV camera's aiding in is giving the exact same information that the SL could relay by voice. I's just a bit of a gimmick in my opinion.

With POV cams, the CO doesn't have to ask, he can just look in and see what is going, and to see why in the world is there a 8 man squad standing out in the middle of nowhere, not contributing to the team and not responding to CO.

It seems you are stuck in the ways of PR. Unwilling to change. And I am most certainly in touch with how the game is played. But this is Squad, not PR. It will be played differently. 

Yes recon squads can exist, but what you're forgetting is this game will be played in a public environment, not a rigid tournament style. If you want to make a recon squad with your buddies, all power to you. I see no reason why you wouldn't want that in a game, but I'm telling you now, most wont want to run around looking for FOBs. Heck, most INF squads (lead by experienced players) know that there is usually a fob over behind the hill on the top left of the map, for example. He can destroy it on his own if he wants. That's fine. 

I know a picture can and will be outdated fast, that's why it's there, in part. If the picture (I was planning a single large picture of the whole map, top down) refreshes every few minutes or so, it will still provide intel about strong and weak points for an attack, it'll just be up to the CO to decide if he wants to risk it. There is, of course nothing stopping using the photograph in conjunction with SL's own eyes, or even the UAV. But the reason for having the large satellite images, is to offer a full map picture for when the UAV goes down and is waiting for respawn, or is in another area of the map and would need to relocate. 

Why not have the pictures as additional information available to the CO? What's wrong with giving the CO more information to look over, especially if he needs to make a snap decision and there are no eyes on target, and the UAV is down. He would have to use the Satellite image to form a reasonable plan. 

So you are basing this on a feature that doesn't exist in game?

Yes, but why not, this isn't a PR clone, it can have new things and work in a different way. Anyway, POV cameras are not in either real life OR PR. Doesn't particularly matter. 

How many pictures are you expecting the commander to receive and map out? This is a game, more important, this game seems has the pace of Battlefield, albeit slightly slower. Not to mention the fact that the commander is now distracted from making sure other squads dont get fucked or making sure the tanks aren't about to get flanked from a hat team.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick. It would be one large picture, and there would be no "mapping out" of the picture, he wouldnt have to align the pic with the map. It would just ba another asset that the CO can use if all other assets are unavailable at the time. Like in real life. This, in my opinion is just an aid to the CO to help him avoid getting squads "f****d".

With POV cams, the CO doesn't have to ask, he can just look in and see what is going, and to see why in the world is there a 8 man squad standing out in the middle of nowhere, not contributing to the team and not responding to CO.

Ok, so now he has that sorted, what's he going to do about that? How has the fact that he can see their screens altered the fact that they still aren't doing anything to help the team. You can easily tell that via voice coms. "You ther squad 8?" *silence* "that's a no then". 

Your POV idea really wouldn't benefit a CO in any meaningful way. It's also unrealistic. At least with a top down satellite picture that updates rarely, you can get an idea of what's going on in the battlefield and where to move squads. It's more risky than using a real-time video feed from the UAV but it's also better than nothing. Why not give CO's something more to use for when the UAV is down.